Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I tried searching but I guess I am not getting the right combination of terms to get anything out of it. If you guys can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

My mag release button sticks when I drop a mag. I can pop it back out with my finger, or it pops back out itself when a new mag is inserted, but what would cause it to do this? I don't have too many rounds through it, I would guess around 500. I have never detail stripped it, just used some Gun Blaster and brushes on the frame. I have dropped oil everywhere on it but it still does the same thing. It does it when the slide is both open and closed.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My mag release button sticks when I drop a mag.
Kind of like how the mag pages stick when you drop your load? Har har har.

Anyway... Are you a little too oil-happy? Too much oil results in a big slurry of a mess in areas you can't reach, as dirt, powder residue and whatnot all tend to be attracted to oil.

If it's sticking, I'd guess you've really fouled it up...

But, from the sounds of things, it works?

May have to do a detail strip of the mag release... The worst part. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it could be that but I really went after it with the Gun Blaster stuff. At first I thought it was too dry after that, so I put some oil on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On Xd type pistols: The frames are synthetic and the button is metal. This works fine...unless you get a scratch, ding, burr, etc. in the plastic channel that the button slides thru. The damage can be caused by just about anything that works it's way into the channel. Then it's ground into the plastic by the metal button. The only fix is disassembly and polishing. Disassembly is easy but reassembly is a pain....unless you know the secret! (Promise to keep it secret? Ok! Use a blind pin)
Now all of this is only a possibilty. It's also possible that there is crud in the channel that has not damaged anything. First fix attempt is to pop the top off, submerge the lower in solvent and work the button back and forth. Then use air to blow it out. It's worth trying a few times before disassembly. Hope this helps.
Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
http:www.shootiniron.com
Mac's Shootin' Irons

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK... just joined the forum after reading this post. Picked up an XDE 9 3.3 single stack at bass pro today. All sales final, blah
blah blah, deal with the manufacturer for warranty or repair claims. I have never fired it. Ever. I literally just took it out of the box, ejected the magazine, loaded it, and inserted it into the mag receiver... it fell right out. After the 3rd time I realized after inspecting a bit, the magazine release button was stuck toward the right side of the gun. I could push the button back manually, but ...come on. I will keep you informed what Springfield says when I call Monday. To be continued...

·
Registered
441 Posts
I will keep you informed what Springfield says when I call Monday. To be continued...
Please do. Other than the posts listed before yours which are 14 years old, I've not heard of this problem before. Does the mag release stick if no mag is inserted or only when there's a mag in the mag well?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
OK... just joined the forum after reading this post. Picked up an XDE 9 3.3 single stack at bass pro today. All sales final, blah
blah blah, deal with the manufacturer for warranty or repair claims. I have never fired it. Ever. I literally just took it out of the box, ejected the magazine, loaded it, and inserted it into the mag receiver... it fell right out. After the 3rd time I realized after inspecting a bit, the magazine release button was stuck toward the right side of the gun. I could push the button back manually, but ...come on. I will keep you informed what Springfield says when I call Monday. To be continued...
Sounds like you picked the wrong place to buy the gun!
Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nah. The box hadn't even been opened. Springfield said it's a common issue with tight mag button hole. After taking a closer look I can clearly see that the milling for the mag release button is so tight that it needs to be honed out about .1000 inch. I am stripping the front down now and milling out the button hole. I will make a video and share the YouTube link with you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts