Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have this problem?

XD40sc, 9rd sub mags with Pearce extensions, ammo didn't play a part (this malfunction occurred with all different ammo FMJ, HP).

This is my carry gun, stock, only the slide has been refinished. Never had an issue, in-fact, I like the gun even more every day that I shoot it.

Well, I decided to run it through an IDPA compact match. Not so much to compete, but more to practice my skills. The last time that I shot this sc was last month, without issues.

The first stage had 3 strings. I loaded up a full 9rd mag(I always tug on the mag as loaded) and racked it. As I "sling-shot'd" the mag dropped. I thought that was weird, but chalked it off as user error.

The gun was pointed at the target at the buzzer, and after the first shot, tHe mag dropped again. WTF. Was I accidentally hitting the mag release? This went on here and there through-out the stage.

Myself and the RO tried to trouble-shoot and figured it may be a mag issue. I marked my mags and went to the next stage.

Next stage, same thing. This RO was able to figure out that dive the mag catch is on the front of the mag, the feeding bullets were hitting the release. This made complete sense, but why now? It wasn't dirty, nothing looks out of place.

I was able to finish the competition with minimal malfunctions. I then tried my defense loads thinking that the HP is slightly shorter and it won't hit, but same thing, mag dropped.

I went home and tested all different ammo and all mags, now I can't repeat the malfunction. It now seems to work. This is the worst part. It is like taking a car to the mechanic saying, I swear the car wouldn't run, but works perfectly when someone looks at it.

I don't quite trust it to carry at this time. I will contact Springfield tomorrow, but has anyone ever had this type of malfunction? Any ideas?

Now I have to carry my Glock until I can figure it out :(

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Are you sure they were 100% locked? Did you make sure they were pushed up enough to lock. The Pearce grip could be fatter that you stock base pads so you will have to use a little extra force to push and slam the magazines home.

Or try using it left handed maybe you trigger finger is pushing just enough on the mag release, switching hands will move your fingers and grip. To try to eliminate that possibility.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Next stage, same thing. This RO was able to figure out that dive the mag catch is on the front of the mag, the feeding bullets were hitting the release.
Are you saying that the rounds are coming forward inside the mag under recoil enough to bump the release? Interesting theory but I would think that it's more plausible for there to be some dirt in and around the catch preventing it from properly catching the mag and slipping off during recoil or possibly a weak spring. That is if you are positive that you are seating the mags properly and are not hitting the release. Cleaned the mag catch area? I know it's a pain to get those parts back in there but it's probably worth cleaning and inspecting that area.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
James,

I absolutely made sure that they were locked in. I wasn't sure the first time, but was absolute every other time. That was my first thought. Also, the Pearce has plenty of clearance. I also downloaded the mag by one when inserting with an empty chamber with the same result.

Rod, it wasn't just under recoil. It first occurred with just racking the slide. Could be that there may be something (dirt?) in there as you suggested. That is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for your suggestions. Anyone else have any input?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The only thing that would cause the mags to drop is a defective mag release or that you aren't pushing the mags in all the way.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had that problem on a Taurus PT140. Mag would drop out after every round. Replaced the mag release and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How many rounds through that gun? Looking at mine, that's a small edge catching the magazine. Just a slilght defect in the metallurgy and it's rounded off early in its expected lifespan.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like everything is pointing toward the mag release.

I wish I could say for sure how many rounds through. A couple thousand?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
With the slide off and no mag in, you can look down the grip from the top and see the mag catch. You should be able to reach it with your finger and push it towards the muzzle end of the gun. It should spring back when you release pressure. If not. you may have a broken or defective spring. Also place some lube on your mag release button and work it back and forth. It may be sticking in a depressed position and not returning to center.....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Since they're he ONLY modification you've done to the pistol...
How long ago did you add the Pearce Extensions to the mags? Are they standard extensions, or +2 Extensions and Did this happen before adding the Pearce Extensions?

My mags didn't like the +2 extensions, but do fine with the standards. Compare the mag/grip gap with and without the Extensions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since they're he ONLY modification you've done to the pistol...
How long ago did you add the Pearce Extensions to the mags? Are they standard extensions, or +2 Extensions and Did this happen before adding the Pearce Extensions?

My mags didn't like the +2 extensions, but do fine with the standards. Compare the mag/grip gap with and without the Extensions.
Just the pinky extension. Same floor plate. I have had these a long time and never had an issue.

I am leaning toward the mag catch and spring. Especially since I can't replicate the same malfunction. Maybe it was sticking. Time for some TLC or a replacement. I emailed Springfield. I'll report back with what they say and recommend.

Thanks for all the input. Gotta love XDtalk!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contacted Springfield today. They are going to have me send it in to take a look. I'll report back.

What can I expect the turnaround to be?

·
21,870 Posts
Contacted Springfield today. They are going to have me send it in to take a look. I'll report back.

What can I expect the turnaround to be?
Couple of weeks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE:

Well, I was presently surprised to get my XD back within 2 weeks. They reported that they "tuned up" the mag release.

Test fired it today, flawless. I can now put my Glock back in the safe!

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Glad they took care of you in a reasonable time-frame.

Looking at it, did they replace the mag release, or just clean it up good and "tune" it ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad they took care of you in a reasonable time-frame.

Looking at it, did they replace the mag release, or just clean it up good and "tune" it ?
It's tough to say, for I should have taken a closer look prior to sending it in. However, looking at it, I would bet it has been replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts