Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of threads on holsters but once you sort that out, what is everyone doing to carry spare mags? Esp. Important with the single stack.
I hate pocket carry for them due to lint and no sense of orientation.
I'd like a double pouch that doesn't look like a mag pouch. Heck, it don't even have to be a mag pouch technically speaking. I'd rather have it look like a phone.
Appreciate any ideas

·
Registered
305 Posts
A lot of threads on holsters but once you sort that out, what is everyone doing to carry spare mags? Esp. Important with the single stack.
I hate pocket carry for them due to lint and no sense of orientation.
I'd like a double pouch that doesn't look like a mag pouch. Heck, it don't even have to be a mag pouch technically speaking. I'd rather have it look like a phone.
Appreciate any ideas
Try this:
take your favorite "Carry Pants" and have someone put a stitch down the center of your left rear pocket (right pocket for lefties). You only need the stitch to run from the bottom of the pocket halfway up. You have just created a double mag pouch...I usually just carry one extra mag. I have carried off duty this way for 20 years. It works for me!!8)

Reactions: slugger6 and AlexTx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try this:
take your favorite "Carry Pants" and have someone put a stitch down the center of your left rear pocket (right pocket for lefties). You only need the stitch to run from the bottom of the pocket halfway up. You have just created a double mag pouch...I usually just carry one extra mag. I have carried off duty this way for 20 years. It works for me!!8)
That Sir is brilliant and simple. There is no way that can work its to easy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
When I carry my XDS, it's usually IWB. I use this for my spare magazine:

Ambi Magazine Carrier

I like Cooks products. I use his IWB holster and just ordered the mag pouch at the same time. Great products, great customer service. The mag pouch is easy on/off and quite slim.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the ideas. I like the stitch method but can't even take a wallet in my back pocket. That might be great in a side pocket of my cargo pants.
I really like the other two options
a lot, tough choice...

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Look at www.magholder.com. It's a horizontal holster for your belt. Works great for single stack mags. The one for my XDM mag is kind of large.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I currently am using the horizontal MagHolder to carry a spare magazine. It works as claimed.

For a more discreet carry, I'm thinking of getting the SnagMag magazine carriers for both my XDs models.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I too prefer the Horizontal Carry method...usually use a Blackhawk! or 5.11 Nylon Mag Pouch turned sideways...works well and hides easily with beltline

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use a flash light holder that rotates and locks in 8 positions (360 deg). Its a bit small for double stack mags but they fit but my shield 40 mags fit perfect and I can carry vertically or horizontally to fit what I'm wearing. You can find them at walmart with the flash lights or on ebay. Here is a link to pics and and a discussion on it. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/258998-single-stack-mag-holster-under-10-a.html

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I use a flash light holder that rotates and locks in 8 positions (360 deg). Its a bit small for double stack mags but they fit but my shield 40 mags fit perfect and I can carry vertically or horizontally to fit what I'm wearing. You can find them at walmart with the flash lights or on ebay. Here is a link to pics and and a discussion on it. http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/gear-talk/258998-single-stack-mag-holster-under-10-a.html
Thanks for that info ! It's nice to see another option. I'll look for one of those at Wal*Mart next time I'm there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you for all the ideas. I like the stitch method but can't even take a wallet in my back pocket. That might be great in a side pocket of my cargo pants.
I really like the other two options
a lot, tough choice...
I can't stand a wallet either! If you carry one mag in the pocket with a stitch down the middle it holds the mag to the side enough that it donesn't really bother me!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I currently am using the horizontal MagHolder to carry a spare magazine. It works as claimed.

For a more discreet carry, I'm thinking of getting the SnagMag magazine carriers for both my XDs models.
I've just been throwing an extra mag in my pocket for the last few years which is really inconvenient seeing as I carry a G19 and I have enough crap in my pockets already. I have been considering a IWB mag holder like the Crossbreed or similar but I didn't really want anything else tucked inside my pants. Not to mention a few pairs would be a little snug at that point. The Snagmag looks like a really good idea. I just ordered one so I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try this:
Great idea! :idea: This would work if I didn't have my wallet in my left back pocket and my P3AT in my right back pocket. Also carry OWB XDSC .40 cal.

Ah, this is the best solution for me! Thank you for sharing! :-D

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Now that SnagMag looks like a great idea. I too would also like to avoid another item inside the waistline. I'm wondering what it would look like with the 9 shot mag for the 9mm with the grip extension. If anyone has that snagMag and the 9 shot 9mm mag can you post a picture of it?
I know it would work with the 7 but I really want the 9 rd as a backup.
Just want to make sure before I order 2.
They show a lot of pictures with other mags but none with the SA grip ext.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I also use a Magholder. Great product.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use a 5.11 mag pouchs. They are nylon with Velcro flaps and work for single or double stacks. Voodoo makes one similar.

The 5.11 is no longer available on midway but do a search and you will find them.

Voodoo

·
Registered
112 Posts
I carry my extra mag in a gerber folding knife case on my belt draws no attention.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I emailed SnagMag my question on how the holder would work with the 9 shot 9mm mag w grip extension and have yet to hear back from them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts