Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it to the range with my new XDM 3.8 compact in .40 and WOW, I am sold. I put only 100 rounds of WWB downrange but could tell that I made the right choice.

First, the ammunition I was using was the 180 gr. WWB FMJ that I got on sale. There were absolutely no problems with the ammuntion, although it was a little dirty when I went to clean everthing after the range. No big deal, just a little extra elbow grease and everything was good as new. I also shot a few round of Winchester 180 gr. PDX-1 to see how they would function after noticing what turned out to be merely comsmetic flaws. No problems there either.

At the range, I chose to shoot at 5 yds being the first time out. I was a little worried that the recoil would be excessive, but to my delight, I discovered that it was quite manageable. I added the Pearce magazine extension to the 11 rd. flush magazine, and I would highly suggest this to anyone shooting the compact. It provides a better grip and gives you a little something more to help hold on and control your shots. With the 16 rd. magazine, I noticed that the added length to the grip allowed for better control as well. Trying to load the last round into the extended magazine was a bit of a chorethough, but the included magazine loading tool helped save my thumbs there.

The gun is definitely more accurate than I am. I had decent groupings but I noticed that all my shots placed a little low and to the right moslty in the 9 ring with a few that I completely let get away. I feel that with some more work on my trigger squeeze, better breath control, and a little less excitement from being the first time out, that my groups will gravitate more towards center.

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
It's always nice to hear of someone being excited about getting out to the range and geting some trigger time in. :)

Welcome,..... and, pics??? ;) :)

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase. It sounds like you may be anticipating recoil. Just practice, practice. It gets bettery every time you shoot it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The 3.8 is a fantastic shooter. Love mine!

Sent from my Samsung Infuse via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have the same pistol, and I love it. I have only put about 100 rounds through it, and I am really pleased with how it handles. I also find it really easy to conceal.
I use an amish belt from Hanks clothing, the holster that came with the pistol and I wear an extra-large hawaiian style shirt. The shirt is a little big on me, but it allows me to conceal carry without any problems.
I do have a crossbreed supertuck ordered and hopefully when it comes I will be able to carry it with my other shirts with no problem.
Congrats on your purchase. it is a great gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had decent groupings but I noticed that all my shots placed a little low and to the right moslty in the 9 ring with a few that I completely let get away. I feel that with some more work on my trigger squeeze, better breath control, and a little less excitement from being the first time out, that my groups will gravitate more towards center.

Same exact thing happened with me for my first 2-3 range sessions. I'm still fairly new to shooting (xdm is my first gun, got it a couple months ago. Although I've put close to 2k rounds through it since getting it). It was me anticipating the shot and recoil. Before I ever went to shoot the gun I played around with it a lot, dry firing (with snap caps) a lot and getting a feel for the trigger. By the time I got to the range for the first time, I knew exactly when to expect the shot. I felt like my aim was good but every shot was low right about 4-5 inches from where I was aiming (20 feet away). I couldn't figure out what was going on, figured I was just a bad shot and needed to learn. But every once in awhile I would see the front sight dip down and right at the exact moment the shot was going to fire. I was anticipating the recoil and pulling down at the moment the shot fired without realizing it.

I fixed it by trying to completely wipe my mind as I shot. All I did was watch my front sight and squeeze the trigger nice and slow. I didn't pay any attention to how far through the trigger pull I was, so I wouldn't know when the shot was going to fire. My shots got much better after that, completely fixed my low right problem. I shot like this through my next few range sessions and I'm cured.

Have you heard of the wyoming antelope club? It's one of the only outdoor ranges in Pinellas that I know of. It's between Ulmerton and Bryan Dairy, out by 275. They have an IDPA event tomorrow (2nd sunday of every month), and IPSC every month. They also have a club that meets every Tuesday and Friday. I've been for the past few Tuesdays. It's so much fun. It's basically a local IPSC match. About 20 people show up, and they set up 4-6 stages that they think would be fun to shoot, then they run a match from 6:30-9pm. You should check it out

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimdanos said:
It sounds like you may be anticipating recoil. Just practice, practice.
I would have to concur. Like I said, I was excited for being the first time out but had heard a lot of hype about the .40 being a very snappy round. I bought some snap caps to practice with and I'm working out the kinks with my trigger squeeze. Nothing beats actually putting lead downrange though IMO.

Have you heard of the wyoming antelope club?
I actually did my hunter safety course there a while back and was impressed with the facilities. I'd like to go there sometime, but would like to practice a bit more to get a better feel for how the gun handles. I'll have to check their online calendar to see when they have events because I work Sun-Weds, but will definitiely find my way there at some point. Maybe I'll see you there.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I actually did my hunter safety course there a while back and was impressed with the facilities. I'd like to go there sometime, but would like to practice a bit more to get a better feel for how the gun handles. I'll have to check their online calendar to see when they have events because I work Sun-Weds, but will definitiely find my way there at some point. Maybe I'll see you there.
Welcome to WAC Action Shooting you can find a calendar there with all of the events.

They have Tuesday and Friday action pistol matches that are pretty much IPSC matches. They go from 6:30-9ish so depending on when you work you probably should be able to make those. 4 stages on Tues, 5-6 on Fri I usually go to the Tuesday matches, I'm in Orlando usually Wed-Sat. The Tues match is $12 if you're not a member of the club, free for your first time though. I think the Friday one is $15, not sure

They have monthly IDPA and IPSC matches, you can find them on the calendar.

There's also a Thursday action pistol thing I think. I'm not really sure what it is, I think it's listed on there as J&G defensive pistol.

The action bays are in the back of the normal firing range, behind the hill that the rifle range shoots at. If you drive into the range and drive past the rifle range, the road curves around to the right and goes down the side of the rifle range. Action bays are all the way down that road

·
Registered
432 Posts
Glad to hear you like it. I just got the same XDm. Working a lot right now so I havnt had a chance to shoot it yet. I'm itchin to pull the trigger!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts