Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having some trouble with my magazine release,it is very stiff on my 5.25. So being an engineer I decided to take it apart to see what the problem is, thinking there was a burr on one of the components. Well as it turns out there was not and I think it is just how stiff that spring is. And speaking. Of that spring, it is damn near impossible to get back it. I spent nearly 3 hours trying to put it back together. I finally got it, but I don't think I will ever take that apart again.

·
Registered
417 Posts
On both my XDM 5.25 and XDs .45 the release was very tight. After working it for a while and a few hundred rounds later they both have smoothed out just fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've put a few thousand rounds through my 40 and it is still too stiff for my liking. Has not appeared to loosen and as it is my comp gun I wouldn't mind it to be a light spring in there. I wonder if anyone sells a lighter spring or it I could just unwind one coil and give that a try.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Been having some trouble with my magazine release,it is very stiff on my 5.25. So being an engineer I decided to take it apart to see what the problem is, thinking there was a burr on one of the components. Well as it turns out there was not and I think it is just how stiff that spring is. And speaking. Of that spring, it is damn near impossible to get back it. I spent nearly 3 hours trying to put it back together. I finally got it, but I don't think I will ever take that apart again.
Three hours is actually pretty quick. It took me 8 hours to get mine back in after duracoating the frame.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My gunsmith said he never removes that spring unless he has to (as I handed my pistol over for him to put it back in after I was unable to).:roll:

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
I thought you were going to say you went to get a circumcision in Alabama. This isn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The release is tight when there are rounds in the mag because the Magazine Spring* pushes the round up, which pushes the magazine down, onto the catch

With an empty mag its waaay easier. Or you can push up on the mag as you hit the release.

I actually LIKE this because it will lesson the chance of having the release getting knocked in an altercation and having your mag drop out leaving you with a 1 shot gun.

Ive seen lots of mags drop on accident at the range with other guns because of an accidental mag release. No so much with an XD.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Rob2 is on the mark. Put an empty mag in , it should be nice and easy to release. Also after some range use it will ease up. My 40 did the same.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
My '09 XDM .40 was like that during the "break in period" After about 700 rounds it became butter. Just give it time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts