Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the opportunity to buy a demilled Krinkov (looks to be that the receiver is the only cut piece.) in 7.62x39. It comes with the cone flash hider and the receiver cover.

My question is, seeing as Krinkovs are NFA and this is demilled, is could I reactivate it by replacing the receiver and make it a legal firearm by giving it a fixed stock and a barrel extension (I believe they have to be pinned or welded)?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
1st off, buy it and build it!

2ndly, as long as the "kit" was imported in its de-milled condition and isn't currently on the NFA registry, you're good to go.

Yes, a barrel extension will be needed to avoid NFA rules/fees and it does have to be permanently attached.

Don't worry about the stock being a fixed stock, though. As long as the over-all length of the rifle is at least 26" with the stock extended, you are good to go when it comes to BAFTE. Now your state's regulations may say otherwise...

Personally, I LOVE my m92 krink with the triangle sidefolding stock although they were issued to the Yugoslavian military with an underfolder. If I were you and my state allowed it, I'd begin the process of building the m92 into an SBR. You won't regret it. It just takes a heck of a lot of time (4 to 5 months right now) and some background checks. Nothing you wouldn't have to go through in order to get a teaching certificate.

NoDak sells excellent Kalashnikov receivers, including some made specifically for the m92, underfolder and sidefolders. I will say that the original m92 came with a 1.6mm receiver instead of the normal 1mm. I don't know if NoDak offers this configuration.

If you do decide to go the side-folding route... keep in mind that the beefier Yugo trunnions will require some finagling in order to get the forward latch in place.

I have the opportunity to buy a demilled Krinkov (looks to be that the receiver is the only cut piece.) in 7.62x39. It comes with the cone flash hider and the receiver cover.

My question is, seeing as Krinkovs are NFA and this is demilled, is could I reactivate it by replacing the receiver and make it a legal firearm by giving it a fixed stock and a barrel extension (I believe they have to be pinned or welded)?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st off, buy it and build it!

2ndly, as long as the "kit" was imported in its de-milled condition and isn't currently on the NFA registry, you're good to go.

Yes, a barrel extension will be needed to avoid NFA rules/fees and it does have to be permanently attached.

Don't worry about the stock being a fixed stock, though. As long as the over-all length of the rifle is at least 26" with the stock extended, you are good to go when it comes to BAFTE. Now your state's regulations may say otherwise...

Personally, I LOVE my m92 krink with the triangle sidefolding stock although they were issued to the Yugoslavian military with an underfolder. If I were you and my state allowed it, I'd begin the process of building the m92 into an SBR. You won't regret it. It just takes a heck of a lot of time (4 to 5 months right now) and some background checks. Nothing you wouldn't have to go through in order to get a teaching certificate.

NoDak sells excellent Kalashnikov receivers, including some made specifically for the m92, underfolder and sidefolders. I will say that the original m92 came with a 1.6mm receiver instead of the normal 1mm. I don't know if NoDak offers this configuration.

If you do decide to go the side-folding route... keep in mind that the beefier Yugo trunnions will require some finagling in order to get the forward latch in place.
The kit is indeed legal, and I was indeed looking at the triangle side folding stock!

My problem with building it into an SBR is this:
I am only 18, I need to be 21 to purchase the $200 tax stamp. Also, I am not settled, I am constantly moving between two states, and all Title II firearms are state-specific. If I do go the legal 16", I won't have to spend the extra $200, wait three years, or worry about moving.

I am wondering, however, whether there are barrel extensions that are threaded so I could place a Cone Hider on the end. I'll have practically all the parts, and seeing as I live not to far from RJF (Sons of Guns), I know they could assemble it for me.

And if worst comes to worse and I do want an SBR, I could just switch out the barrels.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I understand about the moving around part. But the simple solution to that is to not move to a NFA-unfriendly state! There are too many people in New York and California anyway.

There are extended length cone muzzle devices that fit the Yugo m92 unique thread dimensions (26 x 1.5) . Here's a link to one.

AK Muzzle break, M92 style, Extended [AK-A-9] - $35.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

personally i think that the extended cone muzzle device is ugly. There is an extended version of the Bulgarian 4pc "soup-can" that looks quite nice and functions VERY well as a flash suppressor/muzzle brake/booster. CNCWarrior.com makes a very good one, but I don't know how it is threaded. I'm sure he can fab something up easily, though.

The last (and best, IMHO) option if you want to meet the barrel length, is to get a faux suppressor. The PBS-5 fake suppressor (following the aesthetics of the original soviet design) has been supplied by various companies: Red Jacket, Arsenal and K-Var being the three that immediately pop into mind. They give you the "look" of a suppressed krink while helping to meet the 16" barrel length.

The kit is indeed legal, and I was indeed looking at the triangle side folding stock!

My problem with building it into an SBR is this:
I am only 18, I need to be 21 to purchase the $200 tax stamp. Also, I am not settled, I am constantly moving between two states, and all Title II firearms are state-specific. If I do go the legal 16", I won't have to spend the extra $200, wait three years, or worry about moving.

I am wondering, however, whether there are barrel extensions that are threaded so I could place a Cone Hider on the end. I'll have practically all the parts, and seeing as I live not to far from RJF (Sons of Guns), I know they could assemble it for me.

And if worst comes to worse and I do want an SBR, I could just switch out the barrels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand about the moving around part. But the simple solution to that is to not move to a NFA-unfriendly state! There are too many people in New York and California anyway.

There are extended length cone muzzle devices that fit the Yugo m92 unique thread dimensions (26 x 1.5) . Here's a link to one.

AK Muzzle break, M92 style, Extended [AK-A-9] - $35.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

personally i think that the extended cone muzzle device is ugly. There is an extended version of the Bulgarian 4pc "soup-can" that looks quite nice and functions VERY well as a flash suppressor/muzzle brake/booster. CNCWarrior.com makes a very good one, but I don't know how it is threaded. I'm sure he can fab something up easily, though.

The last (and best, IMHO) option if you want to meet the barrel length, is to get a faux suppressor. The PBS-5 fake suppressor (following the aesthetics of the original soviet design) has been supplied by various companies: Red Jacket, Arsenal and K-Var being the three that immediately pop into mind. They give you the "look" of a suppressed krink while helping to meet the 16" barrel length.
Price wise the extended cone hider has all beat, while the PBS-5 supplied by RJF is an ACTUAL suppressor, and about $800 haha. Do the faux suppressors actually have a function like the flash hider??

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Price wise the extended cone hider has all beat, while the PBS-5 supplied by RJF is an ACTUAL suppressor, and about $800 haha. Do the faux suppressors actually have a function like the flash hider??
well, as they are a barrel extension instead of an actual barrel with rifling, the flash of the burning gases is shrouded by the extension.

I know that RJF makes an actual suppressor, but I thought that they offered an extension, too. guess not.

I should say something about flash suppression. Shooting a m92 with no muzzle device is, literally and figuratively, a blast. I love the massive fireball it puts out. Really impressive at night shoots. Adding the cone-shaped muzzle device turns that fireball into a 4 ft tongue of fire.

It's a helluva lot of fun!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, as they are a barrel extension instead of an actual barrel with rifling, the flash of the burning gases is shrouded by the extension.

I know that RJF makes an actual suppressor, but I thought that they offered an extension, too. guess not.

I should say something about flash suppression. Shooting a m92 with no muzzle device is, literally and figuratively, a blast. I love the massive fireball it puts out. Really impressive at night shoots. Adding the cone-shaped muzzle device turns that fireball into a 4 ft tongue of fire.

It's a helluva lot of fun!
Oh I believe you! I checked and RJF does not. Their current PBS-5-like suppressor has internal baffles, so it's real unfortunately, in both function and price :p

I do think I'll go with the cone hider though! I like the old Soviet look to it! What extra parts would I need to get if I eventually did want to SBR it? And what receiver should I get for the side folding stock?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Why not just take it to RJF and have them do the work, tell them you dont want a SBR at the moment and you need an extention added. I have seen M92's with what was basically just an threaded aluminum pipe permently attached.

If those guys can make an intergally suppressed AK im sure they could your gun and permentally attach that FH in the link above or any other extention you choose. There is no need to switch out barrels when you go this route, when you turn 21 just do the leg work for a SBR and when your stamp comes back just remove the extention and viola you have a SBR.

I am not sure of the demensions of the front trunion of an M92 but its not like a regular Yugo trunion so it "MIGHT" fit into a Nodak NDS-1KP, they also make and sell a receiver for the M92 in its underfolder glory.

Your turn around time with RJF is going to be pretty long though so you might want to check out other builders.

·
Registered
252 Posts
buy the krink and save up your money until your ready to send it out for the a rebuild.i know funds are low currently, but atleast buy it and hold on to it.those krinks are hard to find and people won't get off of them.its worth investing money in a krink.i don't own one but i'm really looking for one also.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
dont forget about the Arsenal guns on the market. 107UR's and 106UR's. You will probably have to cruise GB from them since I think they are out on the K-var site.. These come with a 16" barrel and all that is needed is a stamp and a builder to cut the barrel down.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just take it to RJF and have them do the work, tell them you dont want a SBR at the moment and you need an extention added. I have seen M92's with what was basically just an threaded aluminum pipe permently attached.

If those guys can make an intergally suppressed AK im sure they could your gun and permentally attach that FH in the link above or any other extention you choose. There is no need to switch out barrels when you go this route, when you turn 21 just do the leg work for a SBR and when your stamp comes back just remove the extention and viola you have a SBR.

I am not sure of the demensions of the front trunion of an M92 but its not like a regular Yugo trunion so it "MIGHT" fit into a Nodak NDS-1KP, they also make and sell a receiver for the M92 in its underfolder glory.

Your turn around time with RJF is going to be pretty long though so you might want to check out other builders.
I plan on bringing it to them to make it lol. I want the side folding stock though, a little more sturdy if you ask me, plus it's reversible if I need a pistol.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
OK are you talking about using it as a SBR/Pistol, IE legit SBR with stock folded or removed and shooting it like a pistol. Or are you talking about having it built as a pistol with sidefolder trunnion and just leaving the stock off it? The latter will land you some jail time, if the builder would even build/transfer it to you that way with out a tax stamp.

Im asking because sidefolders are held on to the rear trunion by a single 4.5mm or 5 mm pin depending on which you buy and this was actually suggested to me in the gun shop when I was kicking around the SBR or pinned extention route on my Krink.

"just build it up as a pistol and leave the stock off till you get a tax stamp":rolleyes: right...

Also if you are going to use an actual triangle side folder, you might want to start checking out the price on them a full set with trunion and front latch is going to you $175++ depending on what you buy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK are you talking about using it as a SBR/Pistol, IE legit SBR with stock folded or removed and shooting it like a pistol. Or are you talking about having it built as a pistol with sidefolder trunnion and just leaving the stock off it? The latter will land you some jail time, if the builder would even build/transfer it to you that way with out a tax stamp.

Im asking because sidefolders are held on to the rear trunion by a single 4.5mm or 5 mm pin depending on which you buy and this was actually suggested to me in the gun shop when I was kicking around the SBR or pinned extention route on my Krink.

"just build it up as a pistol and leave the stock off till you get a tax stamp":rolleyes: right...

Also if you are going to use an actual triangle side folder, you might want to start checking out the price on them a full set with trunion and front latch is going to you $175++ depending on what you buy.
I'm putting on a barrel extension...

·
Registered
252 Posts
dont forget about the Arsenal guns on the market. 107UR's and 106UR's. You will probably have to cruise GB from them since I think they are out on the K-var site.. These come with a 16" barrel and all that is needed is a stamp and a builder to cut the barrel down.

i live in houston tx and all the gun shops i go to for ammo or parts can't tell me when are they going to get some more.i rather get a krink or the arsenal version in a 5.45 due to ammo being so cheap.but whatever i can get, i'll get.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I think that the beefier Yugo trunnion will fit. I think the only major difference is how the hinge cover attaches.

What extra parts would I need to get if I eventually did want to SBR it? And what receiver should I get for the side folding stock?
I used a Elk River T&D (Armory) 1.6mm receiver for mine. As far as the future SBR goes, have whoever builds it pin/weld the extended muzzle device in a way where a little work with the dremel will undo it. Then just screw on a shorter muzzle device. I strongly recommend a Bulgy 4pc that fits the yugo threads.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that the beefier Yugo trunnion will fit. I think the only major difference is how the hinge cover attaches.

I used a Elk River T&D (Armory) 1.6mm receiver for mine. As far as the future SBR goes, have whoever builds it pin/weld the extended muzzle device in a way where a little work with the dremel will undo it. Then just screw on a shorter muzzle device. I strongly recommend a Bulgy 4pc that fits the yugo threads.
Blah. My seller washed out on me. Back to the drawing board :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts