Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just ordered a m64 kit. anybody ever assemble one of these bad boys? it seems like it will be a little more of a challenge. apex is supposed to come out with a welded receiver for it, and ive already tried contacting another guy that sells reweld plates. anyone know of any sources to get reweld plates besides the guy at akfiles?

also, where is the best place to buy compliance parts, and the best ones to replace?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
just ordered a m64 kit. anybody ever assemble one of these bad boys? it seems like it will be a little more of a challenge. apex is supposed to come out with a welded receiver for it, and ive already tried contacting another guy that sells reweld plates. anyone know of any sources to get reweld plates besides the guy at akfiles?

also, where is the best place to buy compliance parts, and the best ones to replace?
Just buy a milled receiver and transfer the parts... milled guns are easier to put together than stamped. The only pain will be timing the barrel and setting head space.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Just buy a milled receiver and transfer the parts... milled guns are easier to put together than stamped. The only pain will be timing the barrel and setting head space.
are those barrels threaded or pressed in?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
are those barrels threaded or pressed in?
you can get them both ways. I've built stamped kits with milled receivers. I couldn't find a pinned barreled receiver so I drilled out the threads, made a sleeve for the barrel shank and drilled a pin hole to lock it in...works lik a charm. Thats how I made a clone of a type 1 AK before I got a type kit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only milled m64 receiver that I found was 350 dollars. thats a little more than I wanted to spend. do you know of any that can be found cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw where a guy used a regular stamped flat and just shaved down the leftover pieces of the old m64 receiver and fitted them inside the flat. how do you feel about doing that?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
got the kit in yesterday. bore seems to be in great shape, passed the bullet test. wood was in decent shape, had a cross carved on top of the gas tube handle. overall the kit seems to be in excellent shape. the gas piston looks brand new.

I boiled the cosmoline out and wiped it down with some oil till I can get what I need to try and put this thing together.

anyone know of a good tutorial on how to fit those milled trunions into a stamped receiver?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts