Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have this on their XD or have/had it period? This looks freakin awesome and something worth saving up for. LMK

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have one. I think its probably a little bulkier than it needs to be, but still much better than almost everything else out there. The laser is cool for dry fire and such. It works and I've never had problems with mine. The hard part is finding a holster for the gun with the light on it. If the debate is up already, I haven't seen it, but it doesn't seem very safe to me to put something on your gun that will make it impossible to holster in a hurry. Just my .02.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just got one, and love it. Works very well, easy to zero. A bit large, but great for home defense pistol. I have my M-6 on an XD-40 service, 4 in. model, it fits perfectly.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hell yeah! I guess XML might be coming out with one like this. You think it'll be better than the M6. Is the XML out now better than the M3?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the M6 on my .40 tactical. Its neat. There is one serious drawback which I am surprised more people dont mention--- It can only be zeroed in at one specific distance! Due to the distance it sits under the muzzle, the laser points upwards to some degree. As I recall, Streamlight recommends zeroing it at 25yards. Thats all fine and dandy, but at distances less than this, it will shoot low (several inches). This is very pronounced if you aim at say, 10 yards. Likewise, if you were aiming at 40yards, it would aim high.

If anyone has any insight into this, I'd love to hear it. Due to the discrepancies listed above, I dont think I would be totally comfortable using the laser dot in a critical situation (BG holding innocent and needing to place an accurate shot). That being said, it is useful for dry firing and seeing if you can hold a bead. Also, lasers do have a intimidation factor to them, but dont rely on it for aiming. The flashlight is by far the more useful tool and the laser doesnt add much to the size, so I can live with it. If I had to do it all over, I would probably get a M3x and call it good.

Anyone with a M6 care to comment on the zero "issue" and any thoughts>?

·
Registered
83 Posts
i read that the VAST majority (like 90%-ish) of shootings whether by LEO or civilian happen at 7 yards or less... i have my m6 zeroed at 21ft.

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is one serious drawback which I am surprised more people dont mention--- It can only be zeroed in at one specific distance! Due to the distance it sits under the muzzle, the laser points upwards to some degree. As I recall, Streamlight recommends zeroing it at 25yards. Thats all fine and dandy, but at distances less than this, it will shoot low (several inches). This is very pronounced if you aim at say, 10 yards. Likewise, if you were aiming at 40yards, it would aim high.
If you are sighted in at 25yds, and you shoot a target closer, the amount of vertical difference from poa and poi could only be less or equal to the amount of space between the muzzle and laser lens, 2 inches at best I would think. At 50yds (I think) you would only be shooting high by that same distance. I figure that at less than 25, the BG isn't going to care if you hit him in the nose, forehead or throat. Sure if you have some type of hostage situation it could be a problem, but thats why you keep your sights on the gun when you install the M6. Not meaning to flame anyone, just my two cents worth.

MC

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I think in most situations lasers are appreciated most by their scare factor. I surely wouldnt want someone relying on their laser if I was the hostage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually, sparky2be, they do and it's pretty cool. I have one, but tend to only use it at the range. I guess my 3" in a CTAC just works better off-duty. I think BladeTech is the only place out there that makes one for duty use at this point. Hopefully Safariland will upgrade the 6280 series for the XD with UBL. Of course, then I have to spend more money on gear 8) I wonder if we will soon see an influx of holsters that feature all retention off of the slide area of the gun, to allow the "bottom" to be open to facilitate these accessories. The technology is there, a company just has to use it. I ramble and must now shut up :)

MC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts