Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I tried searching but couldn't find something along these lines.
I'm placing my order for my next gun and I know I want to go with an M1A but I'm not sure if I should go with the scout or not.
Here's what I want to do with it. I have an AR-15 with a 16" barrel and Aimpoint M2 so it does the close quarter duty. I want something that I can put some magnified optics on to shoot out farther. I don't plan to shoot farther than 500 meters so I figured the Scout will retain some more velocity over the SOCOM but still be plenty maneuverable.
Any thoughts?
Any owners out there?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
XfrankD, thanks for the response. I was looking at your signature, nice collection!
How does the M1A compare to the Remmington 700?
Also I'm about to buy a Glock 26 as a conceal carry weapon, are Glocks as great as their owners say?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The Squad Scout sounds to me like it would take care of your needs. I much prefer the longer, 18" barrel of the squad to the short 16" barrel on the SOCOM. The extra barrel length should give you between 50 to 75fps over the 16" and also tends to stablize bullets better than the shorter barrel in my experience...particularly when you are talking about heavier bullets.

I noticed you were ionquiring about the comparison b/w the Rem. 700 and the M1A...it really is apples and oranges. The 700 is capable of extremely good accuracy out of the box with only minor adjustments to the trigger weight/pull. With good optics, ammo and a good shooter, it will achieve MOA accuracy. The M1A, while the Super Match, M21 and M25 rifles are capable of outstanding accuracy, it is hard to keep up with a good bolt gun at any level, and certainly not with the shorter barreled SOCOM and Squad Scout models which are more or less "battle rifles" capable of corresponding accuracy (2-3MOA...some better with the right shooter/ammo). Also, any time you add more moving parts to anything, the risk of something going wrong increases. It is unlikely that you would ever experience a failure to feed, jam or other such malfunction with the 700, and while the M1A's are very rugged and reliable, they are not perfect.

Again, apples and oranges, but both are outstanding rifles that will perform to their designated roles.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
XfrankD, thanks for the response. I was looking at your signature, nice collection!
How does the M1A compare to the Remmington 700?
Also I'm about to buy a Glock 26 as a conceal carry weapon, are Glocks as great as their owners say?
I traded away my Glock 26 and couldn't be happier!

Use the money you were going to put into a Glock 26 and M1A into a good M1A - like the Scout - and accessories like a working scope mount etc.

Chapie+

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah I definitely understand that the Remmington 700 and the M1A are very different type rifles, I was just curious with them being the same caliber, how much accuracy am I giving up to have semi-automatic fire capability?
My plan for the M1A is to get the thing now (before any potential bans) then save up for some nice optics, optic rail, bi-pod, and then finally get the JAE 100 stock! The stock from what I have read really helps tighten the M1A's shot groups. It will be about $4,000+ tied up in a rifle that I could have gotten the same performance for cheaper from other set ups but its my dream for some reason so rationale isn't a factor! My main question is should I waste all this money tricking out a scout or a SOCOM?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I traded away my Glock 26 and couldn't be happier!

Use the money you were going to put into a Glock 26 and M1A into a good M1A - like the Scout - and accessories like a working scope mount etc.

Chapie+
What bothered you about the Glock 26? The only reason I picked it over the XD sub-compact for a carry weapon was because it have more magazine and holster options. I mean you can put a 33 round magazine on it for fun!
I really want to get an XDM9 to replace my XD45 as my competition pistol but need something I can conceal carry with first. The XD45 is way too big for me to try to conceal.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
What bothered you about the Glock 26? The only reason I picked it over the XD sub-compact for a carry weapon was because it have more magazine and holster options. I mean you can put a 33 round magazine on it for fun!
I really want to get an XDM9 to replace my XD45 as my competition pistol but need something I can conceal carry with first. The XD45 is way too big for me to try to conceal.
What bothered me about the Glock?

It was a Glock.

But seriously, I didn't shoot it well. I tried all sorts of things and it just didn't work out for me.

I carry my XD .45 tactical concealed in a Milt Sparks "Versa Max II" inside the waistband holster. I wouldn't replace the XD 45.

Chapie+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts