Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I finally put a M1A on layaway now I am wondering what you fine folk here would recommend for a scope set up.

I went with the M1A standard with the walnut furniture.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but I've been thinking about the same thing.

I just got my M1A Saturday and shot it on Sunday and I'm not sure how long I want to stick with the irons.

They are very good, accurate, and easy to dial in sights but I'd like to be able to shoot tighter groups at 100+yards.

Are you planning on going with an over the receiver mount or a tactial mount further down the rifle?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Check out M14Forum, they will have answers. I used to frequent that forum and if I remember correctly the mount is at least as important as the optic. The best scope in the world is useless if it doesn't stay put.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I say go with a red dot setup. Depending on funds I'd go with EOTech, Aimpoint, or maybe even an Trijicon ACOG.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Before you change anything shoot with the iron peep sight for a couple of hundred rounds. You will find they are very accurate and the gun stays in original condition with the value intact.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Start with a GOOD mount. The Springfield one ain't gonna cut it! :mad: Get one from Smith Enterprise, Sadlak, Bassett Machine, or GDI. Smith has a great deal on their Weaver mount, and I think it is the best deal in an M14 mount in this day and age. The Bassett is newer to the market, but has been well received. These are bolt-on/removable mounts and won't permanently alter the gun, or decrease the value as mentioned above.

After that, scopes are a very personal thing. it's going to depend on what kind of shooting (target vs. hunting, 100 yards vs. 600 yards, etc.). As a target shooter, I like bullet drop compensators and forgiving eye relief. Things like tactical turrets and adjustable objectives come secondary to me. You just have to decide what is important to you. For example, people swear that the Leupold MkIV series is the best piece of glass ever made, but I find the eye relief too unforgiving at higher magnification. I also find that they are overpriced for what you get. There are plenty of scopes out there that offer comparable quality for less money. I recommend Nikon Monarchs (BDC reticle), Burris Signatures (Ballistiplex reticle), and Bushnell Elites, but that's because I am a working man and don't think that $1500+ scopes are really worth the difference for 99.9% of shooters. Zeiss makes kick @$$ scopes if you can swing the extra cash, or if you can get a good deal on one.

It's really going to boil down to what your needs are, and what you prefer.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I put a Sadlak on mine along with a Burris Fullfield II w/ Tac 2 knobs in the 3x9 flavor and it will carry me out to about 500

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I wouldn't put a red dot on a standard M1A. I would go with a scope. For mine I'm going with a Leupold Mk IV or similar. Big money but your rifle is no good if your scope can't keep zero.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
can't beat a Tasco Super SNiper for the money 10x42

swfa has them

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
can't beat a Tasco Super SNiper for the money 10x42

swfa has them
What do you mean by that?

What is the point of putting a $200 scope on a $1,200 rifle. I've said it multiple times and I'll say it again. I'd rather have a $200 rifle and a $1,200 scope than the other way around. There are a lot of factors into a good scope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts