Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just looking for some opinions, what's better the M1911 (Colt) or the M9. I'm gonna have to go with the 1911 just because of its time tested reliability, but what do you think?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I think your first post might have been better placed by introducing yourself in the new members welcome area.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Kind of like asking whether a car or a truck is better. A double stack 9mm versus a single stack single action .45. Two completely different guns.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Get a XDM9 or XDM45 ;) this is a XD forum

·
21,986 Posts
1911 but im bias...

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you are talking about the plain GI M1911 then I'd take the M9 for a battle handgun. If you are talking about the tricked out 1911 that our special forces use then the M9 wouldn't even cross my mind.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have both. Right now, I am back in my Beretta phase. I have eight 92 variants and a PX4. I personally prefer the 92FS over the 1911, but admittedly, I like them both.

However - as others stated, they are completely different... Even different caliber, unless you get a 9mm 1911.

Go look at them in the store and see which feels better in your hand. Decide on the caliber too (45 ammo costs more - more 9mm practice for less $). Decide if you want a DA/SA, or if you want a SA 1911, with a thumb safety you must deactivate to use the gun...

Many things to consider...

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
Without stating its intended use it's impossible to give an intelligent response to your question.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have both and enjoy shooting both.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Without stating its intended use it's impossible to give an intelligent response to your question.
Quoted for truth.

FWIW, I qualified with both in the Army and currently own one of each. I hated the 1911 that I qualified with in the Army because it was a worn-out, rattletrap piece of junk. My Springfield Loaded has changed that perception.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Page 18, section 2, paragraph 3a of the man code states: If you own two handguns one MUST be a 1911.

The first one is your choice. If you don't plan on reselling it, don't waste your money on the Colt. Rock Island and Springfield are both as good or better for the money, they just don't have the prestige to unknowing buyers.

Welcome to our humble forum.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I own a 92FS and just ordered a 1911. As to which first it depends on what you want, a .45 or a 9mm. 7-10 round capacity or 15-20?

The 1911 has nothing on the 92FS in terms of reliability both are more than battle proven.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Page 18, section 2, paragraph 3a of the man code states: If you own two handguns one MUST be a 1911.
Turn in your man card. That's on the cover over top of "Man Code."
I'd recommend handling and shooting both firearms. Any particular reason you want one or the other and are not checking out other makers/models?

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
M9, although I actually went with the INOX. It'll feed, fire and eject without tuning and can go longer without cleaning IMHO.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
1911..... 100yrs of continuous military service proves it's worth. The M9 will never see that, I'm quite sure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My experiance favors the 1911. Their a simple, reliable,EFFECTIVE weapon and they just look better. One other thing is with the M9, Unless you have a gloved hand,they can bite right at the beginning of you index finger when you rack the slide or especially when your doin clearing drills. Once bitten,twice shy means they can/do effect your positive purchase on the slide which could be a liability if in life or death situation........ There it is ,my 2 cents.

·
Registered
509 Posts
My experiance favors the 1911. Their a simple, reliable,EFFECTIVE weapon and they just look better. One other thing is with the M9, Unless you have a gloved hand,they can bite right at the beginning of you index finger when you rack the slide or especially when your doin clearing drills. Once bitten,twice shy means they can/do effect your positive purchase on the slide which could be a liability if in life or death situation........ There it is ,my 2 cents.
Wow! Start properly racking the slide then, I've dealt with M-9's for 18 years and never had an issue. Although I did watch a girl a few weeks ago (who was told multiple time DONT RACK LIKE THAT) close her finger in the chamber. She cried we laughed told her to start listening.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts

I've never had that problem with an M9:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I've never had any of my fingers bitten by an M9, ever. I've seen people stick their fingers into the breech and let the slide go and get bit, but you can do that just as easily with a 1911. Additionally, if your hand slips during the racking it generally catches back up on the safety, which means you keep a grip on the slide and it keeps moving. I have no idea where you got your information on finger biting with an M9. BTW I feel like the M9 is a sexier looking pistol than the 1911.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts