Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As long as the receiver is free from rust, pitting, etc., $100 is a good deal regardless of the barrel condition. Finding out the muzzle wear (MW) and throat erosion (TE) would be a good idea. If the TE gauges less than 3, you have a barrel with at least a few thousand rounds of good life left in it (some argue that a TE of 5 will let you group reasonably well, but I'd stay closer to 3). If the barrel is good, most Garand barreled receivers will bring three times you might pay as long as the receiver is from a known mfg such as Springfield, Winchester, Beretta, IHC, etc.

If you don't have to replace the barrel...a build from there is fairly easy. You'll need a complete parts kit which includes the trigger parts, op rod, etc. that are needed to complete the rifle. You'll also need a stock set which you can get either GI issue/surplus or a new stock set from Boyd's (walnut or laminate) or synthetic (Ramline, etc.). A complete parts kit will likely run around $250-300 and a stock set between $50 (Ramline synthetic complete set) to $110 (Boyd's complete set with handguards) to $300 (for fancy bastogne hybrid presentation grade stuff) give or take depending on what you get.

For some more detailed info, the CMP has a good bit of info, as does their Garand forum:

CMP Home

CMP Discussion Forum - CMP Garand Forum

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the links and info..

ufnortunately i don't really know anything about garands or this particular reciever/barrel. I'll ask about the throat/muzzle etc, but without a stock etc, it almost seems like i might be cheaper buying lower quality CMP one and restoring it....

stuff to think about, thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
. . . it almost seems like i might be cheaper buying lower quality CMP one and restoring it....
About the cheapest CMP you'll find is going to run you around $775 shipped. If you are comfortable bulding your Garand from the parts kit and putting it in a stock...you can save a bunch of money over buying the CMP and basically have the same or even possibly a slightly better rifle than the CMP.

Garand Barreled Receiver: $100
Complete Garand Parts Kit: $300 (Max)
Stock: $110 (Complete Boyd's Repro with all hanguards, etc.)

You are saving over $200 going the barreled receiver route...again, assuming it has a servicable/shootable barrel. Of course, your time and efforts in building the rifle are worth something, but likely not $200+.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Buy it...then contact Fulton Armory for all the other parts.

Everyone should own a Garand...they're big fun.

(they're still legal in CA....right?)

- Brickboy240

1 - 6 of 6 Posts