Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend of mine runs estate sales, and I got a call this morning from her, and this is what she tells me:

It's a M1 Carbine with Bayonet
Serial Number 1800XX (this is pretty low isn't it?)
General Motors stamped on barrel
12-43 stamped on barrel as well
Comes with 2 mags

She says it looks like it's in really great shape, like it was hardly used. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, and will take some pictures. So, my question is - how rare is this? What's fair price?

They are asking $750 for the carbine, and selling the bayonet separately - although I told her they should stay together!!!

Don't know any history of the gun.

·
Registered
121 Posts
http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2667http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2667id=2659http://auction.odcmp.com/auctions/detail.asp?id=2667

Here are links to two m1's that are auction items on the cmp web site. $750 seems like a pretty good deal, but I would make an attempt to get the bayonet for that price too :) I saw on the cmp site that they are overwhelmed with back orders especialy for bayonets. So, it would probably be worth it to pay extra for it if you have to. Personaly I've wanted one of these for a long time and just haven't been able to justify dropping the cash for one. Cool gun though.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a good look at it today... here's some pics:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry for three posts - can only put 12 pics / post.

Oh, and the barrel is marked 1-43 - not 12-43

Looks like the wood has been re-finished, so that sucks. And the "bayonet" was just a knife.. not a bayonet. :)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not yet... I'm not sure if this is a great deal, or if it's just regular price. If it's regular price I'll hold off. If it's a rare find, I'll get it. Got about a week to let them know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got a 30 cal. M1 Carbine, also from GM. It came from the NRA/CMP in the early 60's for $17.50. It is in original condition and a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I didn't buy it. $ just wasn't right for me, but I did get a call from them yesterday, asking if I still wanted it. So if anyone wants it, I can put you in touch with the lady selling it!

$700, two mags, and ammo (not sure how much...)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The thing with carbines is the you need to know what the receiver, bolt and stock markings are. A lot of carbines are made of parts from different manufacturers so you need to start at the receiver and work your way out. The more parts match to the receiver, the better.

Not to say a mismatched gun is bad, just not as valuable. It does leave you a lot of room to talk the price down and still get a pretty good carbine.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The Carbine looks to be a Korean War re-build....possibly...because of the bayonet lug and updated rear sight. Cannot tell from the photos, if it has the push button safety or the later wing safety.

Looks as if somebody restored the stock. Not a bad job...but probably not original finish.

The thing about Carbines is that there was no maker of Carbines, during WWII, that made ALL Carbine parts. So every carbine you find is some sort of mixture of parts. The Carbine is not like a Mauser, where every part was serialized and it is easy to spot originals versus later replacements.

You would have to know which parts makers supplied which parts to certain assemblers to know what parts ARE original and which are replacements. Even then....it might be a guess!

My 1943 Quality Hardware Carbine, wears a Rock Ola barrel, but since i know that Quality Hardware never made barrels and they and Rock Ola are both in Chicago....those parts are most likely original to my rifle. Everything else might have been replaced on re-builds after WWII and before it's Korean War service. Again...much is a guess.

So a mis-matched Carbine is not the end of the world...but quite normal.

One thing about the Carbine - it is still going up in value. ANY Carbine in "correct" form and working is never a bad investment.

If you have never shot one, the Carbine is big, big fun, too.

700 is not a bad price for a working Carbine in that condition. They will only go up from here.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yup, I love my underwood. Won't sell or trade for anything. It was my grandpa's in WWII and Korea. I just wish it had rails.

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Great pictures! Looks like a refinished/rebuilt/rebarreled M1 with a very nicely finished M2 stock, flat bolt and a factory brazed multi piece stamped trigger housing with the updated M2 safety and mag catch.

Does the barrel have any visible big import stamps? It would be great to be able to take the gun down to eyeball the inside parts and check the actual headspace. The guts might be as nice as the outsides.

Auctions are strange. Sometimes prices climb higher in the bidding than the firearm is actually worth. Sometimes winning auction prices are very low indeed. I'd offer $500 and see what happens. HB of CJ (old coot)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts