Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking this gun over but I was wondering if there are any other brands that are cheaper. Basically I want to get one for my sons 8th birthday to get him started. He loves AR's so getting a 22 like an AR, well he'd be in heaven. Not much for around my neck of the woods to look at to compare price. Thanks Guys

·
Premium Member
127,263 Posts
I highly recommend the S&W M&P 15-22. After checking out the competition that's what I bought. It is a very well built rifle.

·
Registered
205 Posts
im considering getting one for myself and im 23! haha. it looks like a great rifle, seen a few video reviews on youtube and it looks like one of the top in its class. the only one i have seen rated higher is the sig tactical 22, but honestly it isn't worth the price difference.

i'm saving for the m&p 22 myself, just seems like the best overall choice for an ar style 22.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If it's for a 9 year old I'd look at the mossberg one it's about half the price. I've also seen a Remington one that was again about half the price of the 15/22. If it were for you I'd say go for the 15/22 but for your son I'd look at some of the other cheaper ones to get him started on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I am kinda going for, basically just to get him started. I am currently building a Spikes for myself but it will be four or five months before it is done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had my 15-22p for about 6 months now.
I LOVE the gun, it's so fun and cheap to shoot.
I clean it every 500 rounds, and maybe have 1-2 stovetops.
Im 22 so what?!? Like my .22 just like the next guy.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Love mine. The Colt is made by Umarex and is IMHO a pain in the butt to take down and clean. The Sig is nice but I just don't like how it "feels".

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I have a S&W Mp-22 and LOVE IT!!! Wouldn't want any other .22!!! SHes cheap to shoot AND ALWAYS GOS BANG!!

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
If you want your son to become familiar with the AR's manual of arms, you won't find a better .22LR platform than the 15-22. The magazine is so close in size that I use my regular AR-15 mag holder for the 15-22. The 15-22 takes an AR trigger, if you want to change it. Mag release, bolt release, safety....all in the same place, all work the same. The adjustable stock is perfect for letting a child grow up with the rifle. It weighs less than the AR-15 since the upper and lower are polymer....but yeah, your son most likely weighs less than you so that evens things out. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Another in for the M&P 15-22.

Unlike it's current competitors, it is fully functional (bolt release, etc). It is also extremely easy to tear down...unlike its competitors...it also accepts real AR triggers as well...

Mine has been flawless...the only issue is bad ammo which is not the gun's fault. I consistently run Blazer bulk ammo though mine and it had performed beautifully. I have zero complaints.

It is easily one of the most fun rifles I have ever had...seriously. Cheap to shoot and super kid/lady friendly as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I can somewhat understand wanting a black rifle copy .22 if your purpose is specifically cheap black rifle training. Other than that, I don't see why you would pay the extra money for the AR knockoffs. Marlin model 60, Ruger 10/22....these might be boring options, but there is a reason why they are still around. They are both cheap, accurate and well-made in general. Also, from a lot of reviews I have read, many of the AR-22's aren't nearly as accurate as one would hope. Again, that is not from personal experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I played with one at the range the guy next to me had and he had his scope dialed in. It was extremely fun to shoot. I really want to pick one up after shooting it. The cool thing is too you can share attachments with 5.56 rifles. and all the fundamentals you learn on a 15/22 can pass on. It seems like the perfect training aid and it's cheap to purchase and cheap to shoot alot.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Great rifle...I love mine...:)

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can somewhat understand wanting a black rifle copy .22 if your purpose is specifically cheap black rifle training. Other than that, I don't see why you would pay the extra money for the AR knockoffs. Marlin model 60, Ruger 10/22....these might be boring options, but there is a reason why they are still around. They are both cheap, accurate and well-made in general. Also, from a lot of reviews I have read, many of the AR-22's aren't nearly as accurate as one would hope. Again, that is not from personal experience.
The 15-22 is surprisingly accurate...many people have scoped them fo longer range shooting.

Having a 15-22 and a 10/22 I can say the difference between the two is night and day...

Look at it this way...the difference between the 15-22 and the 10/22 is darn near like the difference between an AR-15 and a mini 14. They both shoot the same round but are nowhere near close to each other when comparing shooting experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have not shot my 10/22 since getting into the dedicated .22 uppers. I sold off my 10/22 target set up because my CMMG M4 LE was as accurate at 50 yards with Eley as the target rifle. It is also much more reliable with high cap mags.

Sure, if you just want to shoot .22, get a 10/22 or a Marlin. Both great .22's.
But there is more to it than that for me.
dave

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've used a buddy's S&W15-22 with a nice Bushnell for squirrel hunting. They have the exact same manual of arms as an AR including the bolt release which is the big knock on other 22 AR's. CCI's new Tactical .22lr ammo was specifically made with that gun in mind and on the range you can definitely tell.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was a deal about a week ago for the M&P 15-22 for $350 shipped. $150 cheaper than LGS. kick ass.

I have yet to shoot it. There are so much praises about the gun. I am 25 and it is a good plinker rifle. I even ordered 5K .22LRs for $150 shipped.

I am waiting for accessories to come in then I will go to the range.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Where WAS this deal?

For 350 bucks...if its still on....I am soooo ordering one!

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 27 Posts