Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm relatively new to scopes because I only used iron sights as a kid, but I've given in. I know some of you poo poo scopes, but for people like me who can't even see the 100 yard back board it is a necessity.

So, first off, here's the rifle with the scope. I can't remember the model of the scope at the moment but it was only $30 at the LGS. So it's not meant for anything other than a .22lr. It does 4x - 9x magnification as well. The optics have a green hint to them and it has mil dot cross hairs. I'm shooting with just the fore grip bi-pod for support from a seated position.

So, after I finally got it mounted correctly, I started zeroing it in at 50 yds. Now this would have been impossible before since I could barely see the center of the target so my shots would have been all over the target. I've only been able to shoot 25yds reliably with iron sights. You can see I'm working the shots in to the left one click at a time...

After that I moved over to 100yds and was surprised at how much drop there was. So here I am attempting to zero'ing it to 100yds.

So after that I went back to 50 yds and tried to use the mil dots in the scope to sight correctly. That seems to take a nack to learn exactly where to aim. I also seem to be pulling it to the right consistently, or I might have to take in left one more click but I only had 100 rds with me today.

For fun I went back to the 100yd range and set up some of the other things people left behind (cans, clay targets, shot shells) for fun to see if I could hit them now that I could see them. I need a lot more practice! I only had 5 rds left after messing around trying to see why I wasn't hitting anything consistently. It seems that for the most part I have the right vertical alignment. I think my problem is my breathing, or at least pulling the trigger while breathing to get things back to the center.

The range I was at today max's out at 100yd. It's supposed to be nice this weekend and I'd like to get to the other gun club near home which has a 200yd rifle range and see if I can even hit the back stop! But with not many nice weekends left, I might have to be responsible and get some yard work done instead.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
I believe you need to work on your fundamentals...with that powered scope at 100 yards..you should be almost stacking the rounds

What kinda ammo are you using?

This target looks ok, at least the bottom right grouping (that is a 4" high visibility sticker right?)

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you need to work on your fundamentals...with that powered scope at 100 yards..you should be almost stacking the rounds
I agree!

Federal bulk in the blue box 525 rds. It is what shoots the best in my Sig Mosquito so that's what I get. The M&P shoots anything I put in it and I wondered if some of the hyper velocity rounds might be better for longer distance.

This target looks ok, at least the bottom right grouping (that is a 4" high visibility sticker right?)
Correct on the targets, 4" stick ons... I usually use laser printed targets from home, but I figured for today since I don't have anyone spotting, it would be easier to see with the high visibility targets. This one was at 50yds after I tried to zero in the scope at 100yds. So my first shots were aimed at the middle and shot high, so I had to use the mil dots to compensate.

·
Registered
17,695 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

The scope has very little to do with the
accuracy of the rifle/ammo combo.

Might try some better quality ammo if you are not happy with the grouping.

don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts