Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give a little non professional review of the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 AR:cool:

I picked this rifle up about 2 weeks ago and finally got a chance to test it out at the range yesterday for a few hours. I had some hesitations about it after picking it up because just about everything on it is polymer, even the upper, the lower, and the handguard. However all the reviews I read prior to getting one were good, so I thought I'd give one a shot (insert pun) and see how it performed. The overall quality and finish of the weapon are great, much better out of the box than my Ruger 10/22, which was surprising, so I also had some inspiration that it would perform well even with the reservations.

I picked up 500 rounds of CCI mini-mags and headed up to the range with some shoot-n-c targets, which ended up being a good decision with just the stock peep sights. I set up at 50 yards with the larger shoot-n-c target (I think 10-12 inch size) and fired off a couple of magazines to get the feel for the rifle and get it sighted in. The mags are tricky to load until you get the hang of it, after that its a piece of cake, just dont pull the load assist down too far or the rounds will jam in the mag while you try to load more in... which I learned quickly. The first 50 - 75 rounds went smoothly and I got the sights adjusted in and pretty much dead on with ease.

Next up I switched to the small shoot-n-c targets (about 3 inch size) to see how accurate it was with just the peep sights. I shot about 100 rounds with 5 timed shots at each target to get an idea of grouping size. I was impressed with the accuracy, as they varied from 1/2 inch to 1 inch for the most part, a few fliers here and there but I expected that with the peep sights. I would venture to say it would be even better with a scope, and possibly better than my Ruger 10/22:shock:

The next 100 rounds or so were just about having fun and putting some lead down range... which is where the failures come in. In the weapons defense though, they were not really because of the weapon so much as just luck. The first was a failure to feed, I cleared it and checked everything, it ended up being some gunk on the feed ramp that pushed the nose of the round up too high to chamber, cleaned it off and problem solved. The second was a failure to fire, I cleared it and checked the round, it had a solid primer hit so I rotated it and put it back in, it fired like nothing was wrong so I guess that one was the ammo... I also found a remington round later that someone else left there with a primer hit that didnt fire, and I loaded and fired it with no problem.

Finally I headed over to the 100 yard range for sh#ts and giggles... using peep sights at 100 yards is hilariously difficult;) I used the larger shoot-n-c targets again, and actually hit all the rounds in the target but it was about a 4 or 5 inch spread... still not horrible for peep sights though considering the front sight covered the whole target lol.

All in all I was impressed, as I put all 500 rounds through her with only two minor failures that were not really weapon related and could happen on the best rifle on any day. I would definitely recommend the M&P 15-22 for some cheap range fun, or even for small game hunting if you're into carrying around a .22lr AR to hunt with!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I also have a 15-22...and my older brother picked one up on my recommendation. He had an OOB experience with his and sent it back to get fixed...hasn't had any issues since. I have never had any issues with mine as of yet...she eats whatever I feed her. The mags are a bit finicky though so +1 to that. Good little rifle if you ask me.

I have since added some more LaRue schwag to her...just need some of the Magpul Gen II BUS's to completer her.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Good to hear. I have been looking at getting a s&w ar15/22 or the colt m4 22lr. the colt is all metal so i have been leaning that way but this is making me think twice

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good to hear. I have been looking at getting a s&w ar15/22 or the colt m4 22lr. the colt is all metal so i have been leaning that way but this is making me think twice
I would recommend the S&W for the lone reason that the bolt stop/hold-open lever works exactly the way it's bigger brother does. As far as I know, it's the only pure .22 AR that functions that way, so you can get some real training in. That's why so many LE agencies are purchasing them. And with a Thompson/Center barrel, you know the thing is going to be accurate.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the S&W and strongly recommend it for its sameness to the AR-15 system and the fact that IMHO the Colt is unnecessarily complicated and not user friendly when breaking down.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard a lot of mixed reviews about the Colt licensed Umarex .22 AR's... Colt doesnt make those BTW, they only license their name out to Umarex. That seemed to make it a bit sour for me that it wasnt actually made by Colt, and the reviews were not very good. I'm glad I went with the M&P, the polymer is solid and high qaulity, and its super light... definitely worth picking one up if you're on the fence!

·
Registered
839 Posts
My good friend and myself both have M&P 15-22's and I can't say enough good things about them...mate them to a dueling tree and it makes for one hell of a good time! I ran another 500+ damn near flawless rounds through mine today. I consider it to be an "AR lite"...it feels like an AR (sans the Lbs) and shoots like one too...what a riot. I can say it is one of the best firearm purchases I've ever made...my Ruger 10/22 simply cannot compare to the shooting experience of a 15-22.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... I posted this thread on a couple other forums, including one DEDICATED to the M&P 15-22... I have to laugh that I have the most views and comments on here compared to the others, I love XDtalk lol!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
The 15/22 is a retarded amount of fun on the cheap. It's so fun, I half to pick up another one, becuase my wife hogs the dame thing and I never get to shoot it :evil:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice review. I've been looking into a 15/22 also. I like how it's cheap to shoot but maintains the feel and function of an AR. My only hesitation is that I would be halfway to a real AR if I just saved my money. I have plenty of .22's to shoot already and can't justify another one but it is a great looking rifle.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice review. I've been looking into a 15/22 also. I like how it's cheap to shoot but maintains the feel and function of an AR. My only hesitation is that I would be halfway to a real AR if I just saved my money. I have plenty of .22's to shoot already and can't justify another one but it is a great looking rifle.
I plan on getting an AR in 5.56 later, and I thought along the same lines as you before I picked this up and went to the range... I sat there for a few hours just shooting away while plenty of guys with 5.56 AR's shooting about 50 rounds came and left:cool:

500 rounds of .22lr? $34 for CCI, or half that price for bulk packs if you like those

500 rounds of 5.56 or .223? I hope you have a credit card lol....

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Congrats on the new MP 15-22 and thanks for a great review...Love mine...:)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts