Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order a new XDM 9mm compact and see they come with removable backstraps. Just curious, but since they are so small, do the different sizes really change the grip much?
I shot a few rounds through my gunsmiths XDM, but have no idea which backstrap he had on his. His hands are quite a bit larger than mine. I need as small of grip as possible with smallish hands. Since they are so short, I was wondering if the different sizes really changed much in the grip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Getting ready to order a new XDM 9mm compact and see they come with removable backstraps. Just curious, but since they are so small, do the different sizes really change the grip much?
I shot a few rounds through my gunsmiths XDM, but have no idea which backstrap he had on his. His hands are quite a bit larger than mine. I need as small of grip as possible with smallish hands. Since they are so short, I was wondering if the different sizes really changed much in the grip.
They make a subtle, but noticeable difference. You need to change your X-tension to match your backstrap. Your gun one come with one backstrap and X-tension of each size. If you use the wrong size X-tension, be prepared to pinch the skin on your palm now and then. Not recommended.

If you're going to order additional magazines, note that the XDm mags should be ordered with the proper sized X-tension. You can order the X-tension by itself from Springfield, but it's not listed online. I just ordered 4 #3 backstraps from them at $10 each. I've not found these available at any store - just Springfield. Note: The XD X-tensions are NOT the same as the XDm X-tensions, but the XD/XDm 9mm mags all fit.

Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
+ 1 to what jhl820 says.

The difference is subtle. I hardly notice it when handling the gun. The difference is noticeable when shooting. I occasionally have to regrip when shooting with the #2 (std) backstrap, but never have to when using the larger #3. My only reason to change backstraps is based on who gets to go with me to the range.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
You may want to consider sending it to Dale at Grip Reductions. He is making my grip without a backstrap. I have handled one that he did like this and I was immediately sold. Your grip will essentially be no bigger than your magazine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to consider sending it to Dale at Grip Reductions. He is making my grip without a backstrap. I have handled one that he did like this and I was immediately sold. Your grip will essentially be no bigger than your magazine.
Sounds interesting to say the least. Got any pics of his work? I'm off to do a net search, thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
More than just a hand size function, the different backstrap panels will change your natural grip aim point. While anyone can learn to adapt to the grip angle of various pistols with enough practice, when a handgun simply aligns on target correctly with your natural point, then any additional 'dialing in' required will need much less effort. Whether a large or small hand is on the grip (discounting the far extremes), a larger panel will tilt yhe muzzle lower at your natural aim and a smaller panel tilts the muzzle up. Naturally the different panels will effect trigger finger reach and placement.
I have a large hand and have been using the largest panel. Slow (more than 5 sec between shots) aimed fire this has been fine. Even for double taps, once I align the sights for the first shot, my return from recoil shot alignment falls to the same aimpoint. But I have noticed that for a more instinctive snap shot (not from the hip but as a raised pistol and using the sights but not really conscious of aiming them) I can rapid fire about the same size group but at 25 feet it is centered a little over 2 inches lower. I am going to try the mid size backstrap. This will bring the snap shot hits upward, but I have to determine if the change in trigger finger placement moves the group left/right more then the up/down correction.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've tried all three backstraps and settled on the medium one. They do make a noticeable difference. I suggest trying them all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My wife did not like the medium grip that came on my XDm 3.8 9mm. Switched to the smaller one and it was much more comfortable for her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts