Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched half of a show on Lyme Disease yesterday and was somewhat shocked at some of the things they were saying. The show was called "Under Our Skin" and was about people that had contracted Lyme Disease, how long it took to finally be properly diagnosed and how many are being misdiagnosed so the number could be greater.

The problem with it is that the affects can take many forms and can appear as a temporary illnesses/issues before moving on to causing other affects, but the effects can be major. The biggest take away is how often it's misdiagnosed.

If you have a chance, watch the video. For me, applying insect repellent to myself and my daughter when camping took on a whole new level.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
As i understand it, lame disease originated in ct and i still know alt of people who have been misdiagnosed. It can get pretty nasty though, a friend of mine had to wear an iv through middleschool bc it got pretty bad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've been battling it for almost EIGHT YEARS now. I went un-diagnosed for 3 years with every doc under the sun here in KS telling me that I wasn't sick. I almost punched one of the douchebags, but then I felt bad for him 'cause I knew he just wasn't that smart. Fortunately I found an angel of a doctor who has helped me and I am just about over it, but I nearly died. I was literally wasting away and just laying in bed dying. It was unbelievably awful.

Also, a lot of people that have neurological diseases like fibromyalgia have Lyme Disease that's causing it.

If anyone on here has any questions feel free to PM me.

Knowledge is a cure.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been battling it for almost EIGHT YEARS now. I went un-diagnosed for 3 years with every doc under the sun here in KS telling me that I wasn't sick. I almost punched one of the douchebags, but then I felt bad for him 'cause I knew he just wasn't that smart. Fortunately I found an angel of a doctor who has helped me and I am just about over it, but I nearly died. I was literally wasting away and just laying in bed dying. It was unbelievably awful.

Also, a lot of people that have neurological diseases like fibromyalgia have Lyme Disease that's causing it.

If anyone on here has any questions feel free to PM me.

Knowledge is a cure.
I finished watching the show during lunch today. If I understand it correctly, the IDSA recommended treatment shouldn't take longer than 4 weeks, but the show included persons that took years to cure. The forest ranger said he didn't start to get his life back until three years of treatment and his insurance said it wouldn't cover the expenses. There was a relatively young lady that was as back to normal as possible after about two years. She's now divorced, but her husband at the time started to show symptoms. The latest on him was never mentioned, but imagine the implications of it being sexually transmitted.

The amazing part to me is how people aren't getting the treatment they require because the insurance companies are deciding it's not necessary. The thing is, what works for one person may not work for another. There are genetic, environmental, health, etc. related factors that come into play on the effects of any disease. It's just a shame the control insurance companies have over the people/country.

·
Registered
174 Posts
First off, thank you cz75luver for this thread.

Second, it is a shame that insurance companies can just decide that they don't want to treat Lyme. Not only does is keep people from getting better (and many Lyme patients have nowhere to turn so the suicide rate is EXTREMELY high), but it then pressures doctors to not treat Lyme at all. It's a viscous circle that literally ends up killing people.

Also, it's transmitted through blood only since it's a virus. It can't be transferred from sexual contact or kissing. They also say that you should have some sort of specific mark to tell if you got bit correctly or some bulls***t like that. But here's my deal. I was on a mission trip on a Native American reservation in North Dakota and had a tick on me but never had that red circle or whatever, but after that I started getting sick. I just didn't relate it to the tick until I actually found out I had Lyme.

Thanks again for doing this thread. Lyme is basically treated the way cancer was in the '30s. It's really really sad.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like you said, "Knowledge is the cure.". I can only speak from the perspective of camping, but information is something parks should be passing on to patrons when they enter so that they take precautions. This is definitely one of those "An ounce of prevention . . ."

Turns out the show has a web site.

Under our Skin | An Infectious New Film

As mentioned, I had no idea it was like this. I too thought it was a very rare case and easily treatable disease. As mentioned, wow, I now know better.

I used to feel bad when my daughter and I would go camping and I wouldn't let her run into the woods until she was sprayed down with insect repellant. She'd see all the other kids running around and I would call her back. Talk about a kill joy. Then again, after a camping trip two seasons ago a mother called me to let me know that she had found three or four ticks on her daughter after the trip and to have my wife check my daughter out. After the film, I'm glad I was cautious as my daughter didn't have anything and never has.

Oh, and the reason I posted this under SHTF is because it's something not usually considered under a SHTF scenario. Many say they would "head for hills" under a SHTF scenario and it's just something to prepare for/consider.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
I've heard of a couple of long misdiagnosed cases of it.

for some reason I want to think there is a vaccine for it, or is that just for dogs?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've heard of a couple of long misdiagnosed cases of it.

for some reason I want to think there is a vaccine for it, or is that just for dogs?
I believe you are correct on the dog vaccine. Unfortunately there is none for humans. Just a long and heavy regimen of antibiotics, antivirals, and nutritional supplements. There are, however, a tiny group of angels working on a vaccine for us humans. Maybe it'll be done in time so some other kid won't have to go through what I've had to.

God willing.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
It is a tough disease to live with. I have been in a lot of tick infested areas, one of which is an army base where they can't spray to kill them becuase they are a "endangered" breed or some crap. So the liberals have ensured their survival at the cost of soldiers contracting lyme disease while out doing land navigation and other manditory training.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a tough disease to live with. I have been in a lot of tick infested areas, one of which is an army base where they can't spray to kill them becuase they are a "endangered" breed or some crap. So the liberals have ensured their survival at the cost of soldiers contracting lyme disease while out doing land navigation and other manditory training.

Amazing. One would think they'd put people/soldiers before ticks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I moved from NY to FL 21 years ago because it was so bad in the east end of Long Island.

It has been found it 2 times in NC right now and I am very shaken up. So far none of the rangers or park employees here in the Smokies have it.

·
Registered
19,696 Posts
pretty sure ticks are an invasive species. They are around here anyways.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

Here's a link to commercial product to kill the creepy crawlies that get on your clothes.

Sawyer Products Clothing Permethrin 24oz SP657

We have a LOT of lymes around here. I squish 1-20 ticks a day spring to fall. While that is bad, it is also good as the doctors will often start you on antibios because lymes is so prevalent.

·
Registered
412 Posts

100% BS.

Ticks are not "endangered" nor are they and "invasive" exotic.

Environmental spraying does not eliminate the danger as the deer ticks that carry the disease are carried by mammals ranging from mice to mostly deer and unless you hermetically seal an area it is fruitless. Keeping deer out and fields low cut is a huge help.

YOU need to cover up, and spray DEET on all of your clothing and body unless you are sure you can pull them off within minutes of them crawling one you. Even if they bite you and you get them right away, you are usually OK (unless you make them "puke" into your blood stream by improper removal).

http://yoursmokies.blogspot.com/search?q=ticks

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's a link to commercial product to kill the creepy crawlies that get on your clothes.

Sawyer Products Clothing Permethrin 24oz SP657

We have a LOT of lymes around here. I squish 1-20 ticks a day spring to fall. While that is bad, it is also good as the doctors will often start you on antibios because lymes is so prevalent.
Thanks John for the link. I'll order some before the next trip.

·
Registered
474 Posts
100% BS.

Ticks are not "endangered" nor are they and "invasive" exotic.

I think Zombie Hunter means the base has an endangered creature, that isn't a tick, that would be killed by the process to eradicate the ticks

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think Zombie Hunter means the base has an endangered creature, that isn't a tick, that would be killed by the process to eradicate the ticks
That makes more sense, but reading his statement two more times, unless he has serious grammar deficiencies that is not what he is saying.

Even if there was an endangered species habitat that would cause a ban on the use of insecticides, there is no safe large scale way to effectively control ticks outdoors let alone eradicate them based upon their transportation methods.

Think team 6 worried about ticks? Wouldn't learning proper outdoor survival techniques be important to our military?

Whether he believed it was the ticks or other creatures that were endangered that put is life into jeopardy, either way he turned it into a blame game of the politics of humans which is ultimately a false assumption.

Know your target is in fact the BG before you shoot at it. ;-)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts