Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tumbled my brass in Lyman walnut media and now I'm wondering how to remove the "reddish" stuff from the media off the brass? I can wipe them with an old cotton shirt and they are shiney, but that's a lot of work when you have several hundred cases. How do you guys do it? Any info would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Follow the treated walnut with untreated corncob. Cleans like crazy and puts a mirror polish on your brass.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The walnut media can be used to remove the dust.

Just kidding, a little corncob dust won't hurt anything. just put in a media seperator and give it a shake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is what dishwashers are for...or so I've been told. sab

·
Registered
889 Posts
Toss the walnut media, and use treated corncob media. You can buy untreater and add your own brass polish, and you can find all that and more at "midwayusa.com"

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the Lyman corncob (green plastic container) is that its small enough to get into the flash holes of my 9mm cartridges and no amount of banging them on the workbench will loosen it. Depriming is the only way I've found to get it out..but that's fine if you have to deprime anyway.

I always hand sort my brass before tumbleing, then I use a modified spaghetti strainer to seperate the media from the brass, then hand empty each one after that. I figure all that handleing before reloading gives me more than sufficient chance to remove any bastard cases (9x18, 380, nato, etc).

Corncob is just a way of life, when it starts to get dirty and dusty, its time to change it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
After polishing my brass I dump them in a bucket with hotwater and dishwashing soap to get rid of the red dust. drop a small cloth in the bucket and mix the whole thing around for a little while. Once you done rinse them out and leave them out to dry for a day. If it's a small batch drop them in an old damp towel and roll them around to get the dust off.

ampleworks
The only thing I don't like about the Lyman corncob (green plastic container) is that its small enough to get into the flash holes of my 9mm cartridges
I don't use the Lyman stuff I just get it from the pet store and add teaspoon of Red Rouge Polish to the media to help polish but I have the same problem with the primer pockets also in my .223 the get inside the case and it's a pain to get out.

I got this idea from the web.
If your media gets too dusty get damp cloth strips and run them in your tumbler for a few seconds to pick up the dust.
Never tried it myself.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
:idea:
Thanks OEFM

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use Dillon rapid polish, I use a bit more than stated in the directions, then stir it up, let it run empty for an hour, then put my brass in. My tumbler is actually one of those rock polishers that has the motor on the side and uses a belt to turn an axle and the drum rolls on it.

I had sort my brass several times, it also allows to make sure the insides of the brass is clean, else it goes back into the brass bucket to be ran through again. I normally run four handfulls (equates to about 250 pieces) for three hours. Its not a very efficient way to tumble but I was given the rock polisher so it works fine for me till I can afford something better.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Just one more thing on polishing brass. I had my blood checked for lead about 18 months ago, and it was higher then my Doc liked(I couldn't tell if she is a gun hater or not). So I talked with a doctor that I shoot with to see what I should do, and we came up with that it wasn't the indoor shooting or any shooting really, it was more then likely all the brass that I handle. Lessons learned use rubber gloves when you handle brass or wash your hands real good. I did find a lead removel soap,but can't remember the name right now.

I did get retested a few months ago and the levels dropped way down and all I did was use gloves and wash with my new soap.

I will get the name and who I ordered it from and post it latter if any one wants to know.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I just use corncob media and let the thing run all night long, they come out nice and shiny. Throwing the brass into a tumbler gets rid of the media an the decaping pin of the die cleans the flash hole.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I put a splash of mineral spirits in with the media and I don't have any dust.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A quick and easy way to get rid of the Dust from Corn Cob or Walnut media is to get a high pile towel, lay the brass in the middle, fold the towel in half, gather up each end in you hands, shake the towel back and forth a few times and the dust is gone. Do not use your wife's good towels for this or you will be in the dog house big time. :shock: Buy a cheap towel at Wally World.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts