Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having real trouble using PMC Bulk Box ammo, I thought! Was at range and switched back to Winny White, and, Wow, same problems. Friend gave me some Super Lube Grease. Put tiny amounts on slide and engagement points at rear of barrel. Viola! No problems. Had been lubing w/ DRY lubes. What do y'all recommend and what have you seen on this topic?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I usually finish off cleaning with a little Break Free CLP, let it sit a few minutes and then wipe off any excess. Seems to do the trick. It comes in a bottle or spray can. Others have recommended Ezeox (if I'm spelling it right) which is a CLP similar to Break Free.

CLP = Clean, Lubricate, and Protect. Kind of an all-in-one product.

I also haven't seen a spot of rust on my XD's in the eight months I've had 'em.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I like Tetra.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
M-Pro 7 CLP.

Used Tetras lithium grease for while, turns yellow and tends to get gummy.

After a few uses of M-pro, the guns are easy to clean, merely a simple wipe down and recoat. Keeps the barrels cleaner too...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use FP10, I first came upon it while taking some firearms classes from an Airforce firearms instructor. Now I use it exclusivley. Soak a swab in it and really coat the inside of your barrel, let soak for a few hours and then swab to get the excess out, it will keep your cleaning time cut in half and protect your gun. Think of it as Prolong for weapons!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Mike,

I use a little grease on the slide rails, sear, and the barrel as you mentioned, and it slicks everything up. There is a place for dry lube, a place for oil, and a place for grease.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I use wilson combat gun oil. it comes in a nice easy to use syringe for exact amount and placement. (it has refill bottles too) I can simply put a tiny ultra thin bead exactly where i need it. no big drops or globs that need to be spread out or what have you.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Ick. Sorry synchro, but after those last few posts, I doubt anyone could post much of anything without it sounding crude by association. :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I used to use CLP to clean and Wilson to lube but now I use good old Hoppes solvent to clean and lube with milispec-1.
I still put CLP on the outside to help cut down on cleaning the powder residue after a match or range session.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MSG Crack said:
I use FP10, I first came upon it while taking some firearms classes from an Airforce firearms instructor. Now I use it exclusivley. Soak a swab in it and really coat the inside of your barrel, let soak for a few hours and then swab to get the excess out, it will keep your cleaning time cut in half and protect your gun. Think of it as Prolong for weapons!

I wouldn't think of it as Prolong. FP10 actually works. Prolong doesn't.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was using FP-10 until I recently discovered something. Dont bother using it if your gun is going to be exposed to cold weather situations (prolonged). I left my gun in my truck overnight and retrieved it the following morning. FP-10 hardens up into a thick gooey subtance when its exposed to cold weather. After searching the web I discovered I was not the only one to have these problems. It gunked up so bad that I could pull the trigger all the way on my XD and a few seconds later the firing pin would actually release and fire.

I cleaned it out and switched back to Slip 2000. I think i am going to subject it to the same test and see what happens in the morning. Or maybe I should try this with a bunch of different lubes and see what happens. I think I have a tube of XFR around here somewhere.

Granted this probably isnt a big deal...as few people leave their loaded guns in their trucks...but still. I dont like the idea of what happened to the FP-10 in cold weather....rather stick with something thats going to be reliable in any temp.

·
Registered
527 Posts
When I do a full cleaning I like to use TetraGun for lube. Just let it sit for a few minutes, then wipe off. I also keep a bottle of Kleen Bore Formula 3 in my range bag.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
RicochetJim said:
KY is not the choice anymore. I go with Astroglide. :mrgreen:
I certainly hope you mean your girlfriend/wife uses Astroglide, but hey, if it's you, it's none of my business! :twisted:

As for my HS2000, ever since I had the NP3 finish put on it, I don't need to use lubrication on the rails or any metal parts. Occasionally I'll still put some Disotec XFR on it, but I really don't need to.

I used the Disotec on my AR-15 this deer season with great success. It was about 20deg, and it didn't affect a thing. Gun worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthectic oil, and Shooters Choice red grease. Stay away from WD40, and 3 in 1 oil (it's veg based) and will get gummy. I qualified a part timer a couple of weeks ago. About halfway through the course, his 229 just stopped working. It was bone dry. I wasn't amused.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts