Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I have had my XD-40 for about 3 weeks know and have been to the range four times. I clean it after ever trip to the range and re-lubed it. At present I put a little bit of light gun oil on the recoil spring assembly, a little bit where the striker slides in the slide. I use some of that red gun grease that come in a syringe on the slide rails and a little bit of the grease on the barrel were ever it touches the slide.

What do you guys use? Where do you lube and how much? I know if you over do it the lube attracts dust and grit but you don't want it dry either? I was disappointed with the lack of suggestions in the manual and would be interested in what other XD user are doing.

Thanks
mcb

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
mpro7. lightly coated

·
Registered
802 Posts
mcb said:
Alright so I have had my XD-40 for about 3 weeks know and have been to the range four times. I clean it after ever trip to the range and re-lubed it. At present I put a little bit of light gun oil on the recoil spring assembly, a little bit where the striker slides in the slide. I use some of that red gun grease that come in a syringe on the slide rails and a little bit of the grease on the barrel were ever it touches the slide.

What do you guys use? Where do you lube and how much? I know if you over do it the lube attracts dust and grit but you don't want it dry either? I was disappointed with the lack of suggestions in the manual and would be interested in what other XD user are doing.

Thanks
mcb
The procedure for cleaning a handgun is as follows:

Be sure the handgun you intend to inspect and clean is unloaded

Consult your owner's manual and follow instructions on the degree of disassembly recommended for cleaning

Lightly oil the appropriate interior and exterior metal surfaces

Remove the slide and be sure to clean both its interior and exterior, as well as the rails upon which it moves

Follow essentially the same process in cleaning and oiling the bore as you would on any other firearm

Thoroughly clean and oil the interior of the action, including the loading ramp at the base of the chamber

After each session of routine maintenance, remember to return them to their safe and secure storage area.

Any excess wipe off with silicone cloth or whatever you have..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I personally use a dry silicone lube on my XD after cleaning. This prevents the possibility of gunk buildup on oil lubes, and allows me to keep a protective coat on the weapon, because of the climate I'm in, usually hot and humid, that doesn't interfere with carry or handling. I keep a hotel shoeshine mitt that i soaked/impregnated with the same silicone dry lube for quick wipedown after carrying, to displace any sweat or bodyoils that could cause any problems. Using a spray like this, i can also make sure that all the mechanisms get taken care of and just wipe the excess off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Rules of thumb I use:

1) Keep lube away from breechface, chamber, firing pin channel, and magazine.

2) A general wipedown with an oily patch of all interior and exterior metal surfaces that I can reach.

3) A drop or two on the frame/slide rails, one on the upper and lower barrel lugs, and one on the sear/hammer assembly.

For the bore, I put a CLP-soaked patch through, followed by a dry patch to remove all but a fine film.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And when ken_mays says a drop or two he means a small drop.

Somehow I was not paying attention and over-oiled my XD40 during a mid-range cleaning session and by the time I was done it looked like the Exxon Valdez. On top of that I only had myself to blame! Don’t ever want to repeat that mistake again. Eesh! Other than that ken_mays has it covered for you, chrome’s advice is good, but usually that is a cleaning session I save for an after range session at home.

XD40: probably the only cleaning chore I will ever enjoy…

·
Registered
342 Posts
I wasn't going to chime in, but for about 5 months I have been carrying mine dry, with no issues. After a range session, I clean it with hoppes, wipe it down with a dry patch, and load it up and carry. I work in a hospital on a locked unit, and so I disassemble the gun, bring the slide, barrel, and spring with me, and leave the fram in the car in the holster. Lube would help it get crazy dusty, plus it would not remain on the gun very long. Whenever I get back to the car, I reassemble it. Having shot at the range after a month or so of this behavior, I have had no problems, nor have I had problems since. YMMV.

·
Registered
401 Posts
In his book "Gunsmithing", Roy Dunlap says (paraphrased), "the right way to oil a pistol is to soak it in oil, then wipe the outside off."

Sorry, I just can't stand that much oil, and most pistols today just don't need it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds about right to me what you're already doing. Just be sure that all metal surfaces get coated after cleaning. I use a patch with oil (Militec or FP10) and wipe all surfaces of the slide, then take a dry rag and wipe everything off that I can. This leaves a rust inhibiting layer of oil but not enough to attract dirt.

For magazines, I use regular old-fashioned silicone spray lube inside and out after cleaning. Wipe it down with a paper towel and the mags are slick without attracting lots of residue.

·
Registered
380 Posts
KY Warming Gel...Apply liberally to your preferred orifice...sorry wrong topic! :oops:

I just lightly use remoil.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts