Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone direct me to the step by step instructions for the lower build on ar15.com. Apparently im a little slow today.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, i found these but for some reason i thought i used other ones before. these will work, thanks again.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, been done for about 10 minutes now. Found a tip on arfcom that said to press in the roll pins with needle nose visegrips wrapped in tape. Flawless! much easier than being so careful with a hammer and bangin em in. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I recommend "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" written by a world class AR-15 gunsmith. He has an even better way of starting roll pins with the proper tool ( page 5 )......and don't forget to prep your detent holes ( page 8 )

PK Firearms | Online Store

I recommend this book to anyone contemplating an AR-15 build. This gunsmith is an expert with a long career's worth of experience, know how, and advice. Not to mention the proper tools for the job.

Or you could learn to build an AR-15 from some guy with a digital camera and an Internet connection. But I wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The guides on AR15.com are all you need, they are perfect.

Some people would like to tell you otherwise but I'd recommend doing what you feel comfortable doing. I think the guides on AR15.com hit the nail on the head. It might just be some guy with a digital camera and a Internet connection but I'd say he knows quite a bit about ARs, maybe even those ugly polymer ARs.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I recommend the "Complete AR15 Assembly Guide" written by a world class AR-15 gunsmith. He has an even better way of starting roll pins with the proper tool ( page 5 )......and don't forget to prep your detent holes ( page 8 )

I recommend this book to anyone contemplating an AR-15 build. This gunsmith is an expert with a long career's worth of experience, know how, and advice. Not to mention the proper tools for the job.

Or you could learn to build an AR-15 from some guy with a digital camera and an Internet connection. But I wouldn't recommend it.
Wow, the Hater-Aid is strong with you.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I recommend the "Complete AR15 Assembly Guide" written by a world class AR-15 gunsmith. He has an even better way of starting roll pins with the proper tool ( page 5 )......and don't forget to prep your detent holes ( page 8 )

I wonder how many thousands and thousands of home-built, perfectly functioning AR15s are out there?! :shock:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I have seen those online instructions and believe me, there is no comparison to the knowledge contained in the 155 pages of "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide".

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I have seen those online instructions and believe me, there is no comparison to the knowledge contained in the 155 pages of "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide". There might be even better books too (I have not read them all...yet), but this one gets the Wild Rice Stamp of Approval.
I have this funny feeling that no one cares about your stamp of approval. Do you think your opinion means more than everyone elses?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I just want you guys to have the best resources available. Having both read the book and perused the online guides, I know which source is better. If a person is a fan of the AR-15 they owe it to themselves to read this book.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
thanks guys, been done for about 10 minutes now. Found a tip on arfcom that said to press in the roll pins with needle nose visegrips wrapped in tape. Flawless! much easier than being so careful with a hammer and bangin em in. Thanks again everyone.
+1 the first time i used a punch the second time i used vice grips. WAY EASIER!!!!!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Having built hundreds of AR15s and rebuilt who knows how many M16s, (all done a long long time ago, because I'm an old coot) I have found there are always many ways to skin that cat. He he he.

In my humble opinion, (always suspect and probably wrong) a good set of roll pin punches and a medium sized ball peen hammer works the best in stalling all of those pesky roll pins.

Also optional, but a really good idea, is a high quality 4 to 6 inch smooth bench vise bolted to a high quality heavy duty 36 inch high steel top work bench. The kind also used to overhaul engines.

A piece of outdoor carpet to wrap that receiver up in before tightening in that vise is a good idea. Saves the finish. After much experience, using the proper roll pin punch and that hammer is quick, easy and safe.

That expecially pesky trigger guard roll pin is BEST INSTALLED USING THAT BENCH VISE TO PRESS IT IN GENTLY, KEEPING ALIGNMENT AT ALL TIMES. Yeah, I shouted; don't want people breaking their lowers.

Again, don't ask how I know you can break off that trigger guard ear. AUUGGHHHHHH! $Expensive$ You get yelled at toos. Anyway, just some observations learned/earned the hard way. Thanks. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Just finished building my sons lower a little while ago.

Used the vise grips to install the pins. Worked like a champ.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts