Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just finished my first lower receiver build and noticed that I have an extra small detent pin. It is the same size pin that fits under the receiver end plate to secure the rear take down pin.

I purchased a Stag LPK. Did I miss something or did I just end up with an extra?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an extra pin as well. Don't know why they put it in there. I laid everything out in advance and found that my lower isn't missing anything.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No...you didn't miss anything. I have bought several LPK's over the last few years and at least three of them have had an extra "something" in them. My last one from M1S had an extra take-down pin! Go figure...just throw it in your AR spare parts kit...you never know when something might be needed!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I built a lower with a Stag LPK about a year ago.
Same deal,.....extra pin.
I called and asked about it, they stated as the small pins are
easily dropped and shot across the room, they include and extra. I believe Stag is the only manufacturer that does this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No...you didn't miss anything. I have bought several LPK's over the last few years and at least three of them have had an extra "something" in them. My last one from M1S had an extra take-down pin! Go figure...just throw it in your AR spare parts kit...you never know when something might be needed!! :)
I vote for throwing it away, it will save you the frustration of looking for it if and when you need it.

i just replaced my lower last week and when reassembling everything i managed to loose a detent spring one second it was there then it was gone, it didn't shoot across the room and i had everything laid out on a towel so that it wouldn't roll around. I finished installing the front pivot pin and went to grab the rear spring and detent and the spring was gone, i searched and searched and searched for it. then i remebered last time i was at my local AR shop i picked up several extra springs but damed if i could find any of them,

i probably spent 2 hours looking for the springs and ended up going and buying a new one

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
The trick is to notice you have an extra part at the start of the build, by laying out all parts and accounting for them.

You will no doubt accumulate a small bag of parts, just use this one to start the collection.

I have a lot of spares for my XD, springs, pins, ejector, etc. that I bought as backups. They're all stored in small self-sealing (ziploc type) plastic bags w/ a small card in each explaining what the part is.

At some point (probably sooner than later) I'm going to get a field repair kit for my AR with the springs, pins, etc. in it. I'll do the same thing, i.e., put each part in a small plastic bag w/ a card indicating what it's for.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The trick is to notice you have an extra part at the start of the build, by laying out all parts and accounting for them.

You will no doubt accumulate a small bag of parts, just use this one to start the collection.

I have a lot of spares for my XD, springs, pins, ejector, etc. that I bought as backups. They're all stored in small self-sealing (ziploc type) plastic bags w/ a small card in each explaining what the part is.

At some point (probably sooner than later) I'm going to get a field repair kit for my AR with the springs, pins, etc. in it. I'll do the same thing, i.e., put each part in a small plastic bag w/ a card indicating what it's for.
+1

Very good post.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, excellent information.

I figured I would just follow all instructions to the "T" and I would do a proper job. While I did in fact assemble everything properly, the right move would have been to first survey the parts and then proceed with the install.

Without knowing what you have to work with and staying accountable to those parts, you will never know what the final product will be.

Lesson learned: Always layout your parts before assembling.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
On my first build I shot a pin into oblivion. I had to cut down a drill bit to make a pin to complete the build rather than find a new one. They may expect that this is the most common pin shot across the room, so extra pins are cheaper than phone calls. Stock it for future builds.:D

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
On my first build I shot a pin into oblivion. I had to cut down a drill bit to make a pin to complete the build rather than find a new one. They may expect that this is the most common pin shot across the room, so extra pins are cheaper than phone calls. Stock it for future builds.:D
This is why I have extra springs for my XD. Too easy for one to go flying across the room (and yeah, I know about the doing it inside a plastic bag, but who does that? :).

I had this happen w/ the grip safety spring. It hit the concrete floor under my workbench--I heard it--and bounced into oblivion. I searched and searched, used a magnet, swept up, the whole nine yards, and no spring. To this day (about a month later) I haven't found it.

Dan of Powder River had one and sent it to me gratis. So I have a full and complete XD again thanks to him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts