118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which will have less recoil in an xdsc 9mm- 115 or 147
Am fairly new to shooting and have read both in various
Places online. Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The 115gr will feel snappier the 147gr will feel more like a push.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
The 115Gr will feel snappier the 147Gr will feel more like a push.
Yep....That's been my experience, though it does change a bit depending on which gun you are using. I've even used 158gr, subsonic rounds, but they often feel weird and not sure how accurate they are....

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Yep....That's been my experience, though it does change a bit depending on which gun you are using. I've even used 158gr, subsonic rounds, but they often feel weird and not sure how accurate they are....

I shoot the Fiocchi 158s and they are very very accurate. The Fiocchi is a 940fps load and the PPU 158 is a copy of the old Samson made by IMI, it only hits 880fps so there is a good difference between the two.

The Fiocchi 158s have a touch more 'snap' than AE 147s at 960fps. Only problem with 158s in 9mm I find is they are the only round ball or HP I have NEVER recovered from an animal of any size. they always fully penetrate.....

·
Premium Member
127,275 Posts
The heavier the bullet the greater the recoil.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
The heavier the bullet the greater the recoil.

In my G37 the 185 grain full power GAP loads have more jump and recoil to them than the 230 grain loads that are tuned down to ACP specs. I mostly shoot 230s because of that.

9BPLE from my XD9 has twice the jump as WWB Personal protection 147s. My wife who has no knowledge of ballistics even told me she prefers the WWB PP load over 9BPLE because of its lesser jump and greater control......

·
Registered
447 Posts
When I shot 165g loads vs 180g loads on Tuesday, the 165g loads felt snappier.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have any experience with these in .40 s&w or 9mm?
trying to find a round my wife could handle in an emergency, as well as one which would be reliable and good for home defense/carry.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Anyone have any experience with these in .40 s&w or 9mm?
trying to find a round my wife could handle in an emergency, as well as one which would be reliable and good for home defense/carry.
I have tested both the 135 40 S&W and 135 9mm. The 40 lacks penetration, so much I would never use them. The 135 grain HS gets just as much penetration as the 147 in my tests but I do not notice any difference in 'recoil' between the two.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
A simple way to predict recoil is to find out what the Power Factor of the load is. I'll give a couple of none specific loads as an example. The formula for Power Factor is Velocity X Bullet weight / 1000

115 gr. JHP @ 1150 FPS X 115 gr. JHP / 1000 = 132 Power Factor

147 gr. JHP @ 975 FPS X 147 gr. JHP / 1000 = 143 Power Factor

So, in this case the 147 gr. JHP will have slightly more recoil. Again, it will depend on actual velocity for a given weight.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts