Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Well, the time has come that I'm going to start building an AR. I'd been strongly considering it lately, so when I found out I got a refund check from my college that sealed the deal. I'm fairly set in a CMMG upper when the time comes, so that's the main reason I liked the idea of a CMMG lower (I know they're all basically the same, just want opinions).

I called my local shop and while they don't have any in, they can currently get DPMS and Double star. The DS stripped lower is $115 (I know I can find them online for less, but considering there's no transfer fee, I'm fine with it). She also told me DPMS is running a special that you can get a complete unassembled lower for $170. I would want to replace the grip and stock with ones I'd like, but it seems like that's a pretty solid deal. Any guesses on what a standard PG and 6 position stock could sell for? Any opinions on what I should do? Odds of fit and finish between a DMPS lower and a CMMG upper should be at least decent, right? Thanks!

(I just called back to double check on the specs, she said the DPMS said it comes with stripped lower, stock, and internals, so it SOUNDS, to me and her, like it's a complete lower disassembled, but she's going to double check for me). Thanks all!

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
a lower is a lower is a lower

Pick the rollmark you like best.

Standard PG and a 6 pos stock can be had for around 75 bux or less.

$170 for all the parts to put the lower together is a good deal, DPMS complete lower usually sells for $225 or more.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I heard the same about lowers from the reading I've done. They're all essentially the same. I just bought whatever I found to be cheapest at the time, which ended up being a DPMS lower.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

$170 for all the parts to put the lower together is a good deal, DPMS complete lower usually sells for $225 or more.

I know, I guess I just needed to hear it again. If it does turn out that everything's included, would you recommend it? (I don't really know what the typical quality/feel of a DPMS trigger group and all of that is... unless that too falls into "a lower is a lower is a lower."

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

+1.

While everyone has their particular favorites and some will argue that one is better than another...a lower is a lower. I would take the DPMS deal in a heartbeat as it is at least a $50 discount. Assemble it yourself, slap a Del-Ton or other complete upper on it and you have a complete rifle for <$700.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1.

While everyone has their particular favorites and some will argue that one is better than another...a lower is a lower. I would take the DPMS deal in a heartbeat as it is at least a $50 discount. Assemble it yourself, slap a Del-Ton or other complete upper on it and you have a complete rifle for <$700.
I'm (sadly) too picky to keep it heading towards a budget AR, but I'll definitely save if/where I can.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
like mike said pick the roll mark you like the best they are pretty much so all the same same with the upper receiver the parts that will make a difference will be the BCG/barrel/bore

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
I know, I guess I just needed to hear it again. If it does turn out that everything's included, would you recommend it? (I don't really know what the typical quality/feel of a DPMS trigger group and all of that is... unless that too falls into "a lower is a lower is a lower."
I do have a DPMS in my collection :shock: :lol: and for that price I would buy it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After searching I found that DMPS sells the receiver with lower parts kit (no stock or tube) for $170, so it's possible that she was mistaken and that's in fact what it is. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that some uppers don't exactly match up with some lowers. I read somewhere (not sure where) that Armalite lowers don't match up well with various uppers and such.

Anyway, I'm also thinking of picking up a few lowers in the next couple of days. Will any of the 5.56N lowers work with a 6.5 Grendel or 50 Beowulf upper? Also are the mags the same for the 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel or do I have to buy a bunch of new mags if I want to run the 6.5 Grendel?

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I was at a gun show last Sunday and they had CMMG and DPMS complete lowers there. Asking price was $250.00 OTD (out the door, tax included).

Picked up a DPMS for $242.00. Gave me a 3% discount for paying cash.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that some uppers don't exactly match up with some lowers. I read somewhere (not sure where) that Armalite lowers don't match up well with various uppers and such.

Anyway, I'm also thinking of picking up a few lowers in the next couple of days. Will any of the 5.56N lowers work with a 6.5 Grendel or 50 Beowulf upper? Also are the mags the same for the 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel or do I have to buy a bunch of new mags if I want to run the 6.5 Grendel?

What do you mean by "match up well" ???
In spec parts will fit each other, if you are referring to a "color" match, I could care less if the color matches....but some people are hung up about the upper and lower color matching.

But yes, an in spec lower is an in spec lower :p

I'm not interested in the other calibers so I don't know what fits what :cool:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts

The 5.56 lower will work with the 6.5 Grendel but you will need to get new 6.5 mags.

I'm not sure about 50 Beowulf.

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts

Price is normally the deciding factor for me.

If all other things are equal (i.e. stock, lpk, ect) the lower is really just the part with the serial number and rollmark pick whatever you want. All of the ones you listed make 'good' lowers.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The 5.56 lower will work with the 6.5 Grendel but you will need to get new 6.5 mags.

I'm not sure about 50 Beowulf.
Nope...both the 6.5 Grendel and the .50 Beowulf require specific mags...standard AR-15/M16 mags will NOT work. You can modify standard AR-15/M16 mags to fit the Beowulf by opening up the feedlips on the mag, but you also have to have a single-stack follower for the rounds to chamber properly from the mag. I have not seen anyone making these yet nor I have heard about any modifications that work 100%, so you are more or less stuck with Alex. Arms mags specific to both cartridges.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at AIM

AIM Lower Receivers & Lower Parts Lower Receivers & Lower Parts

If you have a CMMG upper it would be nice to match it up with the lower and LPK.

I tend to match my uppers and lowers if possible. But I have a few franken-ARs:cool:
That's the CMMG lower I was looking at, but after talking to the lady at the shop, they can get the double star stripped lowers for 115 (same price obviously), but they usually charge $35 for the transfer. I guess after tax and background fees and all that stuff it would probably come out to about the same. I'm probably going to go with the DMPS lower at this point, especially if the deal IS the complete lower for $170 (personally, I think she made a mistake and it's just the lower receive with a LPK, while she thought it was a complete lower.) I'll find out later today when I call.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, turns out the DPMS did include everything for 170, but it also turns out they're sold out (they sold out yesterday). They sold over 800 of them total during that special and over 250 in the last two days... looks like Obama is helping the economy after all :rolleyes:. I may just get the CMMG sent there as it'll likely be about the same price.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i like cmmg, thats all i use.

but thats just because i want the upper and the lower to be the same. i originally started with a superior arms lower but i didnt like my gun being a mismatch so i had to buy a new cmmg lower to use on it.

so if your set on a cmmg upper i would do what you can to get a cmmg, not for function but for one to make sure the finish matches (my superior arms one didnt) i am MUCH MUCH happier with the cmmg

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I'm not ALL that concerned with it, butit wouldn't hurt. She's checking on the availability of the double star and is gonna order that in for me if they have it. It'll ultimately be a little less, I'll probably have it sooner, but most importantly it's a little mom and pop shop in my neighborhood so I don't mind buying from them opposed to just using them for a transfer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts