Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions would be appreciated, have looked at lcr but might kick
A little too much. In laws have old s&w in .32 but hard to find as is ammo.

·
Premium Member
128,397 Posts
If you insist on that caliber I highly recommend the Ruger LCR.

·
Registered
29,893 Posts
Stay far, far FAR away from lightweight snubs like the LCR, S&W 3-series, etc. Light weight=more recoil, simple physics. Also, if you're not going to carry it, there is no logical reason to have a shorrt barrel for a HD revolver. Short barrel=short sight radius=harder to hit. Also, smaller grips make it harder to control, which means follow up shots will be less accurate. And, you limit yourself to 5 shots.

My recommendation would be a K-frame S&W loaded with .38 special, possibly .38 +P. A model 10, 13, 19, 64, 66, 67, 68, etc (yes, some of those are magnum chambers, but you can shoot .38's out of 'em just fine). 4" or 6" barrel. Good Pachmayr grips (if they make the Decelerator for the K-frame, go with those).

Either that, or stepping up to a S&W 586/686 or Ruger GP-100 would work as well--heavier pistols, less recoil. Also loaded with .38's.

If you really wanted to get a nice, heavy pistol that'll absorb lots of recoil--get a S&W model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in the N-frame... .38's out of it would hardly be felt. You could get the modern version, as well--the 627--which is an 8-shot revolver. They are a bit more spendy, though.

That's how I'd roll.

·
Premium Member
128,397 Posts
Oops! He did say "home" didn't he? Thanks for catching that, Cuda.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
gp100 with a .327.... should do the trick for ya!

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Have you ever shot a .327?

I have, and I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't do anything a .38 with a good load won't do with less recoil in a similar platform.
I have shot a 327, I didnt seem to think it had all that big of a bark to it. atleast not compared to a 357 in the same type of gun both were gp100's with 6 inch barrels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Stay far, far FAR away from lightweight snubs like the LCR, S&W 3-series, etc. Light weight=more recoil, simple physics. Also, if you're not going to carry it, there is no logical reason to have a shorrt barrel for a HD revolver. Short barrel=short sight radius=harder to hit. Also, smaller grips make it harder to control, which means follow up shots will be less accurate. And, you limit yourself to 5 shots.

My recommendation would be a K-frame S&W loaded with .38 special, possibly .38 +P. A model 10, 13, 19, 64, 66, 67, 68, etc (yes, some of those are magnum chambers, but you can shoot .38's out of 'em just fine). 4" or 6" barrel. Good Pachmayr grips (if they make the Decelerator for the K-frame, go with those).

Either that, or stepping up to a S&W 586/686 or Ruger GP-100 would work as well--heavier pistols, less recoil. Also loaded with .38's.

If you really wanted to get a nice, heavy pistol that'll absorb lots of recoil--get a S&W model 28 "Highway Patrolman" in the N-frame... .38's out of it would hardly be felt. You could get the modern version, as well--the 627--which is an 8-shot revolver. They are a bit more spendy, though.

That's how I'd roll.

I shoot a S&W 19 , 6" , w Pachs , all the time using .38 special and it is a pussycat .
It is my fav range gun ( and I have a whole bunch ) .

Long barrel + k frame = low recoil . Also makes followup shots much tighter .

Plus it is one dead accurate weapon .

Regards ,
George

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

That's how I'd roll.
^^^^^
What he said +100.

I'd recommend finding a good condition, used S&W Model 10, 13, or 19. The 10 will shoot .38 spcl., while the others shoot .357 mag. with minimal recoil from the larger, heavier frame. Beyond those, any modern "K". "medium frame" revolver will serve you well.

·
Premium Member
30,890 Posts
Stay far, far FAR away from lightweight snubs ...

Either that, or stepping up to a S&W 586/686 or Ruger GP-100 would work as well--heavier pistols, less recoil. Also loaded with .38's....
That's how I'd roll.
^^^ this ^^^

My Model 686 with .38spl and even .38spl + has quite mild recoil. My Model 10 has a bit of recoil with .38spl but not at all harsh... same for my old Model 64 (sold that one a few years ago).

·
Registered
19,924 Posts
a lot. You can have light recoil and still plenty of punch.

a 3" Ruger SP101 is another option. A little ligther than the GP and shy 1 round of capacity but a fantastic revolver.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
"Low Recoil" is dependent on the shooter. However, the 38 Special out of something like a 6 inch 686 is a powder puff to most shooters and in my experience longer barrels are quieter shooting than short barrels. Since most home owners won't be wearing hearing protection when they have need for a gun that's another factor to consider. IMO a 6 inch S&W 686 or Ruger GP-100 would be a great choice for a Home Defense revolver. However either will be notably heavy and that may be an issue for someone with limited wrist strength.

If the problem is poor wrist strength or injury issues, there really are only choices that are lacking in power. Since 32 caliber ammunition has become exceedingly difficult to find and costly as well, the most reasonable and economical choice is the 22 Long Rifle. Yeah, it's a peanut caliber, however it's a proven peanut in the hands of someone to can shoot it well, in addition most home invaders prefer not getting shot. One big plus for hte 22 is that it's cheap enough to shoot there isn't any excuse for not becoming quite good with it. Specific recomendations in the 22LR are both fairly light, so wrist strength should be too much of a concern. Those are the S&W model 63 and Rugers new 22 caliber SP-101, both of which are 8 shooters.

·
Registered
292 Posts
definitely stay away from LCR my friend shot one and said it was extremely uncomfortable (small grip and light weight)

forgot to add gp100 38/357 best gun to get very reliable low recoil many grips to help comfort level and ability to put a couple hot ones in the end to get the job done

I would go stainless. Much easier for them to see that you got it and they are gonna get it. That could eliminate the need to actually shoot it.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Another vote for the GP 100 with 38SP ammo. You can always move up to .357 ammo when, and if, you want to....

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Stay far, far FAR away from lightweight snubs like the LCR, S&W 3-series, etc. Light weight=more recoil, simple physics. .
+1 AGREED!! I shot that LCR a few weeks ago with just the .38 specials. That thing has a nasty little bite!! :evil:

·
Registered
749 Posts
The LCR might be nice carry pistol but recoil is quite a pain with that. If only for home get something longer and heavier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts