Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went shooting today, weather was perfect, 65F and no wind. I got my new iron sights zeroed in on my AR and fired off 180 rounds.

Then I load up my S&W 500, take the first shot and I hear a high pitched pfft, kind if like a bottle rocket. Thought it was a misfire so I held on tight, kept it pointed at my target and counted to 45.

Finished counting, opened the cylinder and took the bad cartridge out and there was no bullet in it. Figured I had a squib, looked down the barrel and nothing was in there. Walked over to my target 7 yards away, no hole.

I looked all over the place for the bullet and couldn't find it anywhere. And what else was weird is there wasn't any recoil. So, am I right in thinking that it was just a low powder charge?

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Did you look into each hole in the cylinder to verify nothing was stuck there? Thats a weird occurance. Not sure what to think. Would you have been able to find the bullet if it dropped on the ground halfway to the target? Were you at an inide or outside range? Sounds like a squibb. That bullet had to go somewhere!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the each chamber in the cylinder, nothing there. I was shooting outside and I couldn't find the bullet anywhere on the ground. I am going to go back tomorrow to check again.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Checked the each chamber in the cylinder, nothing there. I was shooting outside and I couldn't find the bullet anywhere on the ground. I am going to go back tomorrow to check again.
I guess as long as its not still in your gun it won't matter if you find it. Did you fire other bullets from that gun afterwards or did you wrap up after the squeeler?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I shot 5 more after that and they all went off just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts