Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was at a 3gun match today and won an RCA Low Mass 5.56×45(223) Competition BCG with fixed gas key similar to the one here: Low Mass 5.56×45(223) Competition BCG complete – Welcome to Rubber City Armory

Has anyone here used this Fixed gas key BCG with a Fix Gas block in a carbine length AR?

Was your AR still reliable? Did you see a noticeable difference in how your rifle performed?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You can get them a lot cheaper in some other places.

Only reason I want one is for my 300 blackout, which I use strictly as a subsonic HD gun so I can experiment with faster burning powders so it would be easier to cycle the bolt.

I see no practical benefit on a standard 556 upper.

The bolt would unlock sooner, causing more fouling in the receiver. Lower bullet velocity. Would cycle harder and faster because it also doesn't weigh as much, and would close harder against the barrel extension because it doesn't weigh as much and there would be less mass for the buffer spring to push forward.

You asked for an honest opinion, there it is.

Reactions: HB of CJ

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thanks for the honest answer. I had won the BCG. I did not buy it.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
He said he won it. Isn't that cheap enough?
Since you put it that way, I guess free would've been a little better.

The point I was trying to make is that I have seen lightweight carriers ranging from everywhere from $59 all the way up to a little over $200 if anyone was thinking about getting one. Perhaps a little off topic, but not terribly.

mbrando, you're welcome for the honest answer. I wasn't trying to sound condescending. I hope it didn't come across that way. Just pointing out what you should expect with the lightweight carrier.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello,

I did not take it as condescending.

I tried to do a little reading on the topic before posting. Mostly it seems like you'd have to tune the rifle to work with the rounds you plan run. Which means you have to run those rounds and if you borrow ammo from your friend they may not cycle properly.

Guide to Super-Light AR-15 Bolt Carrier Groups | RECOIL

I guess I can see this if you are gaming 3gun matches, but would not use one in a fighting rifle.

- Mike

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
The AR15 platform has undergone tremendous evolution. Now is is possible and popular to fiddle with most if not all aspects of the guns guts. The gas and recoil system. If you include the HTD group. (fire control group) one can fiddle with practically all of the platform. All good. Who would have thunked it! :)

Hundreds of builds but 30 years ago. Rip Van Winkle! :)

·
Registered
19,986 Posts
If the goal is reducing reciprocating weight, I'd think the buffer would be the easier place to start, but I can see some advantages of taking the weight from the big and putting it on the buffer. I'd think it would reduce felt recoil

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the goal is reducing reciprocating weight, I'd think the buffer would be the easier place to start, but I can see some advantages of taking the weight from the big and putting it on the buffer. I'd think it would reduce felt recoil
That is what most of reading points to. I suppose I could try it since I won it and change back if I don't like it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh on different note I spoke to RCA about eh fixed gas key since my rifle has no adjustable gas block, They were nice enough to swap it out for an adjustable gas key no charge. I paid shipping.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm building an ultra light AR. I have a Brownells lite bolt carrier and adjustable gas block. I haven't got the rile put together yet but I hope it runs good.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm not familiar with your specific system, but I have a different, lightweight BCG in my 3-gun rifle. The BCG manufacturer recommended that the Taccom reduced power recoil spring and lightweight buffer be coupled with the BCG for a MUCH lighter weight combination to greatly reduce recoil. The key to all of it though...(drum roll please) is an adjustable gas block. This allows you to tune the entire system to be both reliable AND gentle/soft. It works quite nicely.

Just changing to a lightweight BCG could introduce problems if everything else isn't tuned properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts