Springfield XD Forum banner

Love my XD .45 5" Tactical

4K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Ezra Smack 
#1 ·
I got it last Oct. after I was robbed at the boat ramp.:-x I like the 13 shot clips. I like that they are SS and affordable. Funny thing is I can shoot faster w/ my right hand but I'm really shoot tighter groups LH. It eats all diffent brands of ammo. I learned to shoot w/ a 44mag Ruger so the 45 is pleasant to shoot. Also enjoy my 22 Browning Buckmark. Study'n for my CCP is fun. I built a little range out behind the house and I try to shoot often.
My son has a Ruger .45 & his wife has a 9mm XD....My wife has a 38 5 Shot Dan Wesson...we can and will shoot at it!! :D

Look forward to read'n and learning....CYA

#2 ·
the 45 tactical is a fine weapon , they shoot great , enjoy

#3 ·
JoJo, I couldn't agree whit you more. I am new to this forum but have had an XD service 4 inch 45 for some time now and enjoy shooting it. Last week I found an almost unfired 45 Tactical in the box for $350 and could not leave without it. I have Colt's, Kimber's and Sig's as well but the XD fits in my 45 line up well. I like the high capacity capability and it is very accurate.

#5 ·
They are great shooting guns, mine rivlas my best 1911 for accuracy & speed. I like the 13rd magazines too, but here, we only get 10rds.

#7 ·
Uponthestair, I am becoming a fan of the XD. I have a service 4 inch and while visiting my local pawn shop found that 45 tactical. They also had a 40 tactical but it had some wear and the 45 is pristine. I am a sucker for a deal. The Tactical makes 8 45's. How many is too many? I'll never know.

#8 ·
Uponthestair, I am becoming a fan of the XD. I have a service 4 inch and while visiting my local pawn shop found that 45 tactical. They also had a 40 tactical but it had some wear and the 45 is pristine. I am a sucker for a deal. The Tactical makes 8 45's. How many is too many? I'll never know.

At one time, I had 9 45s, have since gotten rid of some, they never got shot, spent all my time with my xd!!:)

#9 ·
LOL .45's like kids and wives....have all you can feed!! It took a lot for me not to go 1911....I like proven stuff....I just liked the way this pistol fit/felt. I never plan on let'n this one go and I just don't want a lil' bitty pistol.

Seen a write-up on a "triangle" looking sight...don't remember it's name. I do ok w/ the dots. Thanks Guys for make'n me feel welcome.....CYA

#13 ·
Congrats on the new Tactical. They are fantastic pistols. My .45 Tactical is my "go to" gun for any situation allowing a full size service/military pistol. It will eat any ammo I feed it. Even mixed in magazines. I love it with a Surefire X300 as a night stand gun. All it needs is night sights and either Springer or PRP to do a trigger job, and it's a "lifetimer" and will be passed down when I go in the ground. You have a great new pistol.

In fact my .45 Tactical is the first gun I've ever owned that inspired me to buy a second of the same model. Next is a .45 compact. Watch out for that. Apparently buying XD's is a lot like rabbits mating.

I may have missed it, but what finish did you get?

#15 ·
I did not know you could have too many. I must be ok though I am 2 behind you so need to play some catch up. Wish I could find one in any color for 350

#17 ·
Quick question... is there a big difference in the muzzle flip and/or perceived recoil between the XD45 4" and the XD45 5"? I'm definitely getting a XD45 soon and was wondering if the extra money for the 5" is worth it.
I'll mostly use it for a range gun and MAYBE a little IDPA.
I currently own a Glock 17 (4 1/2") and a Glock 19 (4") and there is a slight difference in the perceived recoil, but not a lot. But there is a BIG difference in my 4" S&W 686 and my 6" S&W 686 357's.

Anyone own or shoot both length XD45's?

#18 ·
I have shot the 4" 40s and 5" 45ACP... Kind of apples to oranges, but very similar feel even with different barrel lengths and calibers. My groupings were almost identical between both. If you need something more compact, go with the 4", otherwise, the full on 5" tac just feels nice all around. I don't have CCW so just went with the big daddy. Recoil didn't even effect anything on the 4" even though the 40 is supposedly more snappy. The 5" feels significantly more weighty/steady though. You really can't go wrong with either XD.

#21 ·
Quick question... is there a big difference in the muzzle flip and/or perceived recoil between the XD45 4" and the XD45 5"? I'm definitely getting a XD45 soon and was wondering if the extra money for the 5" is worth it.
I'll mostly use it for a range gun and MAYBE a little IDPA.
I currently own a Glock 17 (4 1/2") and a Glock 19 (4") and there is a slight difference in the perceived recoil, but not a lot. But there is a BIG difference in my 4" S&W 686 and my 6" S&W 686 357's.

Anyone own or shoot both length XD45's?
I shot both. Bought the 5" and I'm glad I did. Longer sight radius,slightly less recoil though recoil is not an issue with either gun. The 5" balances better in my hand. It's also just as easy to conceal as the 4" should you choose to. 1" barrel/slide length makes very little difference in concealability. If I buy a 4" it'll be a compact. 3/4" shorter grip with the 10 rnd mag is definitely easier to conceal with a t-shirt. + you still have the option of 13 rnd mags as well. 2 guns in one if you will. I'm hoping they'll make a .45sc.

#24 ·
police get there guns snatched because they are trying to catch the bad guys. I would assume most of the time it is from there holster while wrestling with them. I don't believe we are going to let them get that close alive.
You get that close to potential bad guys every day. You brush past them in the grocery store, let them stand right be you when you are in line and are alone with them when you use a public rest room. Your first indication that you are in a fight may be when you find yourself being tackled or sucker punched. My uncle got mugged while using a urinal. Two big guys pinned him against the wall and took his wallet while he was doing his business. If he had a pistol they probably would have grabbed it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.