Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting many calibers recently in order to decide which caliber I would like in the glock subcompact models. I looked at muzzle flash, and the loudness of the cartridge. As for the muzzle flash, I found that the 45 acp gave the most while the 9, 40 and 357 were about the same. I don't know where people think the 357sig has much more flash than the other calibers.

As for the sound, resources say the 357sig>40>9>45 acp.

When I using them, it was more like 357sig>9mm>45>40.

Is it me or is the 40 quieter than the 9mm? I was amazed at how loud the 9mm was compared to the 40 even though the 40 operates at higher pressures. The 45 was quite loud even though it was lower pressured.

I know a lot of it is sujective but what is your experience? How loud is the 45 gap?

Thank you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a 9mm S&W I shoot, and also my XD40. If I shoot the 9 with no muffs it hurts my ears. I can shoo the 40 without them though its loud it doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Use hearing protection on the range, and if you ever have to fire in self defense you probably won't even remember hearing the rounds going off. Once your hearing is damaged it's time for a hearing aid, and they aint cheep. With that said the lower the volicity the quieter they should be. Look for something that is subsonic (under 1100-1200 fps)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Agreed on the hearing protection. I just shoot them a couple times without it so I'm not spooked if I ever have to use it and dont have muffs/plugs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Flash and noise are completely subjective based on what brand/load you are using. If I load .40s hot with Blue Dot, my tac can double as a photo flash and ear drum buster. Likewise, with a reasonable load of Unique, there is much less flash and a more friendly report. It really depends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you *do* have to compare these using ammo from the same manufacturer, fired in the same gun platform, to get usable results.

personally, i'd rather be next to someone with a 9 than a 45 than a 40 than a 357sig. the 357sigs are annoying in terms of sound and pressure wave, and they make me put real 357s down range in response, and that costs me money :p

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
pauli said:
you *do* have to compare these using ammo from the same manufacturer, fired in the same gun platform, to get usable results.
There is still variability with that approach due to different bullet offerings from the same manufacturer. For example in 9mm, 115gr WWB has different characteristics than 147gr WWB.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
When I was going shooting with my friends in the late 70s, we didn't even have earplugs. We were mostly shooting .22 rifles and never gave hearing protection much thought.
Now I wear hearing protection all the time, no matter what I am shooting. I used to have a Ruger KMK-10 (10 inch barrel .22 pistol) and it was tolerable to shoot without earplugs. I now have a Ruger P-4 (short barrel .22 pistol) and when I shoot it, some people come around thinking I am shooting some kind of centerfire. So, barrel length has considerable affect on noise.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
hobocircus said:
. So, barrel length has considerable affect on noise.
Yeah, very much so. My XD9 Subcompact is definitely louder than my 1911 .45.

My .22 with a 7 inch barrel is just a crack...probably the sound of it going super-sonic more than the ignition of the cartridge.

ALWAYS WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! (or you could end up like me).

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I gf's Walther P-22 I have to use muffs on. The only gun I dont use muffs on all the time is my .17Mach 2. Unless I am shooting somewhere the sound bounces all around.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Cyberbeer said:
I gf's Walther P-22 I have to use muffs on. The only gun I dont use muffs on all the time is my .17Mach 2. Unless I am shooting somewhere the sound bounces all around.
I got one of those .17 mach2 rifles last Christmas.

Still havn't shot it.

Why? why? why? :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts