Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, my night sights are loose now... Springfield installed them... I can slide them right off the slide... I went to the local Contractor's Supply place to look into getting some locktite... and... holy ****, it's $12?!!! I'll never use the stuff again, so I passed on that offer... Suggestions?

(And was there a specific color of LokTite I was supposed to get?)

Dunno if there was some other method that worked just as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You could try center-punching in the sight channel. This will raise a small ring of metal and make the sights fit tighter. $12 for Loctite? :shock: ; any auto parts store will have it for around $4-5. Blue will probably work best.
Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem on my factory rear sight. Tried the punch thing, and after breaking 4 punches in 5 minutes, got the idea to try the punch on the sight itself. Worked flawlessly. After doing so I called Springfield, asked them what they would have done, and they suggested using the punch on the sight, rather than on the slide, as the slide is so hardened.

garyk said:
You could try center-punching in the sight channel. This will raise a small ring of metal and make the sights fit tighter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill](And was there a specific color of LokTite I was supposed to get?)
It's sold by size. If you get the super small size it will be like $5. Loctite is sold in auto stores under the Permatex brand. Same stuff, though there are a million flavors. In this application though you probably only care about blue versus red versus green. My sights came with red. I wouldn't use red on threads but if it is holding in something press-fit that I could simply pound off later, yeah I'd use that over blue.

I use this stuff from ThreeBond called TB1360. That way I don't ever have to decide between blue and red. It's about halfway between and is high-temp and oil resistant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just installed XS Big Dots on my 9mm and it came with Loctite 262 (red). I didn't need it due to the fact I could barely get the sights in (extremely tight fit even after a little small filing). It's a small tube but plenty to place on the sights. If you can't find any small amounts just send me your address and I'll mail it to you.

·
Registered
85 Posts
XDSC said:
I just installed XS Big Dots on my 9mm and it came with Loctite 262 (red). I didn't need it due to the fact I could barely get the sights in (extremely tight fit even after a little small filing).
I thought so too, but then after a few hundred the front had wandered off center. I filed the bottom of the front until I could fit the sight halfway into the slot, and then tapped it in with a plastic punch. Not the tightest fit but still it was pretty tight. I did have some threadlock but only a small drop on the outside edges.

Once I recentered, I put more threadlock on the outside, but I also put a drop in the hole underneath. Hasn't moved yet. I think it's good.

For the rear, oh yeah, you definitely need threadlock on the set screws and also the sight. When I had them on my G30 it only took one session to shake them loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts