Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mainly as a hobby. I won't be cranking about 1000s of rounds a week or even a month, so I think a progressive press is overkill. I'm looking at one of these.

Lee Precision: 4 Hole Classic Turret Press

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Mainly as a hobby. I won't be cranking about 1000s of rounds a week or even a month, so I think a progressive press is overkill. I'm looking at one of these.

Lee Precision: 4 Hole Classic Turret Press

Thoughts?
You observation is correct, I would say 90%+ of shooters just don;t need a progressive of any kind. The Lee CT is not a bad piece of gear. The priming system is still suspect & I would try to adapt another powder measure or at least get the adjustable Lee. Fixed powder measures are very safe & reliable but give you very little flexability in your loads. Something you really need w/ fast powders where yo ucan go from mild to wild in as little as 0.4gr.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Take a look at this review
, I personally don't care for Lee equipment.
I have used several presses and if you are wanting to not invest alot I would go for a RCBS or a Hornady LNL, I have used both the Rockchucker Piggybacked and the LNL and really liked both, much easier to setup and better built than the budget priced Lee.
FWIW I saved my pennies and sprang for the "Blue Stuff" and have never regretted it, yes it's pricey but in some cases you really do get what you pay for YMMV.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have a Lee 3 hole turret that I love. I was using a Lee Pro 1000 and got tired of fiddling with it to make it run smoothly. I have separate heads for each caliber and switching is simply a matter of twisting one off, twisting another on, and moving the powder hopper over. Unless you're planning on reloading 1000's of rounds a month, keep it simple. The more gadgets you have, the more there is to go wrong. Besides, doing stations manually gives you an opportunity to check the rounds several times during the process.

Before you buy any equipment, get a couple of good manuals, like "Lyman's 49th" and "The ABCs of reloading" and read them cover to cover - twice.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Do it, get the basic setup and see how it works for you. I have a Lee Pro 1000 and have no issues with it. I to don't load 1000's of rounds at a time (maybe 100-200). If nothing else it is a good skill to have and will save you a little coin in the long run.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
DO IT, like you I dont plan on making alot of rds so I have a lee single stage C press that came with the Lee modern reloading manual. Currently I dont have a powder dispenser so I measure it out one by one but I dont mind. I already have 150rds under my belt, and I plan on changing out the C press eventually. Maybe a turret or just a O press....

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
The Lee Classic Turret is a great value for a starter press. I reloaded on one for two years in three calibers before my shooting needs outgrew it. Really teaches you the basic of reloading and especially watching the cases after the powder measure (yeah I had a squib or two before REALLY learning to pay attention). Moved to a LNL a few years ago and love it even more. I don't think my needs will out grow that one. Still use the Lee CTP as a single stage for .223's and it's going strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts