Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first pistol and am pritty sold on th xd 40. It will be used mostly as a range gun, but also for home defense. I have been around guns all my life, and have hunted since i was 12 (22 now) I am currently in school studying criminal justice and hope to be in law enforcement one day. I love the feel of the xd but I have not shot one yet. I am not very familiar with pistols and its a bit challenging for me( i think thats why im so interested in bettering my shooting). I am very integed buy the ported . 40< mainly cause of looks. (I know im superficial) My main question is. How does it effect the shooting of it, is it worth the few extra dollars to get the ported model, can you shoot at night with it, and can you get a 9mm conversion for it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have owned a ported 1911 and I will never get a ported auto again. It is very cool at first but gets old real quick. It is much louder and will throw crap in your face when shooting. Not good to use for self defense since it can catch things on fire like your own clothing, it will also kill your vision at night or in a low light enviroment. I hate comped guns espesially rifles becuase of the loudness and percusion + they blind you at night. I really cant stand shooting next to someone that has a brake on a semi-auto rifle, especially in a 308 :shock: Flash hiders are definatly worth it though :D

oh yeah, you would def like a service model XD in whatever caliber you prefer :wink:

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have a compensated glock and its alright.... but the non ported XD shoots smooth enough as it is....another +1 on the non ported service....

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ported barrels are pretty much worthless in a carry gun. They are more for IPSC raceguns, and big bore hunting guns.
Just get the Service model in your favorite caliber.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
"EFK Firedragon" makes aftermarket barrels, and they can supply you with a ported barrel (5" barrel sitting in your 4" XD with ports in the end of the barrel. Barsto also makes barrels (perhaps of better quality than Firedragon).

You can get the V10 and spend some money on a non-ported barrel to get the looks without the actual porting. Or buy a standard service model and send the slide out to get milled with whatever snazzy pattern you care to pay for. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
ports are fun and cool but I definately wouldnt get ported for a first or only pistol. especially if it will be an all around pistol. just my suggestion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think im going to go with the 4 inch bi tone 40 cal.
on a side note, where is the cheapest place to get bulk ammo?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Your local Walmart, or www.cheaperthandirt.com usually can deliver it to your door for around the same prices. Depends on the load, of course, but I've done both.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts