Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned an assault rifle, only ever fired an M16, M249 and an SKS...

On GunListings.org, there is a local gentleman selling an AK-47.

From what he describes, I can get the following for $450.00:

1. WASR 10 AK47 (Functioning) (Romainian, Cugir Factory II)
2. AMD Gas Tube in-use, but has original tube.
3. No wood stock or barrel assembly, I'd have to buy one if I wanted to return to the factory gas tube.
4. 1 Magazine, 30-round capacity

My questions are:

1. Is it worth the $450.00? It seems like that's about the price they go for new...
2. Is this weapon some knock-off piece of crap, or is it a quality weapon?
3. How much (avg) are magazines, and are they hard to find?
4. How much (avg) is the wood assembly, and is it hard to find?
5. Would YOU buy this weapon?
6. If $450 is too high, what's an acceptable offer to make this gentleman, and how would you justify your "estimated worth"?

·
Registered
18,141 Posts

My questions are:

1. Is it worth the $450.00? It seems like that's about the price they go for new...
2. Is this weapon some knock-off piece of crap, or is it a quality weapon?
3. How much (avg) are magazines, and are they hard to find?
4. How much (avg) is the wood assembly, and is it hard to find?
5. Would YOU buy this weapon?
6. If $450 is too high, what's an acceptable offer to make this gentleman, and how would you justify your "estimated worth"?
1) you can buy a new wasr for around 400-500 bucks. they usually come with 2 30 round mags and all kinds of accessories.

2) a wasr is perfectly useful and proper weapon. it will do everything it was designed to do as well as any other. people will try to sell you on a saiga or an arsenal and they are fine weapons but there is nothing wrong with a wasr.

I had trouble with mine and CAI repaired it and it was a pain but it worked out. no worries.

3) you can get 3 30 round mags for around 24 bucks plus shipping if you look online. 75 round drums are around 100 or so if you are allowed to own them in your state. I am not allowed over 30 rounds by law so if you start buying drums ill be jealous.

4) wood isnt that expensive for factory stuff if you can find it online. custom gets pricey. I like factory wood because its not pretty and I can knock it around.

5) I might not buy it. the fact its used might mean you know it runs but it could mean there are issues with it and he wants to get his money back out of it. buying used may not get you the CAI warranty. < mine came in very handy when I had issues. I would probably buy a new wasr. clean it VERY well and inspect it. if I had to do over again I would have been more careful with cleaning and inspecting mine before trying to fire it. its what inexperience gives you though.

6) its has some stuff done to it. I don't get impressed with doo dads.

I would pass on it and buy a new wasr. its about the same price, you get the wood and extras with a warranty. like I said you will get the saiga and arsenal guys telling you about how bad a wasr is but I have personally fired a few of my friends as well as my own. they all run beautifully and I would like to see someone that shoots better than me fire mine to see what its capable of.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I saw a huge box of mags at a gun store for $10 each I think, and there are always a lot at gunshows. They're cheap and plentiful. I have many.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1) you can buy a new wasr for around 400-500 bucks. they usually come with 2 30 round mags and all kinds of accessories.

2) a wasr is perfectly useful and proper weapon. it will do everything it was designed to do as well as any other. people will try to sell you on a saiga or an arsenal and they are fine weapons but there is nothing wrong with a wasr.

I had trouble with mine and CAI repaired it and it was a pain but it worked out. no worries.

3) you can get 3 30 round mags for around 24 bucks plus shipping if you look online. 75 round drums are around 100 or so if you are allowed to own them in your state. I am not allowed over 30 rounds by law so if you start buying drums ill be jealous.

4) wood isnt that expensive for factory stuff if you can find it online. custom gets pricey. I like factory wood because its not pretty and I can knock it around.

5) I might not buy it. the fact its used might mean you know it runs but it could mean there are issues with it and he wants to get his money back out of it. buying used may not get you the CAI warranty. < mine came in very handy when I had issues. I would probably buy a new wasr. clean it VERY well and inspect it. if I had to do over again I would have been more careful with cleaning and inspecting mine before trying to fire it. its what inexperience gives you though.

6) its has some stuff done to it. I don't get impressed with doo dads.

I would pass on it and buy a new wasr. its about the same price, you get the wood and extras with a warranty. like I said you will get the saiga and arsenal guys telling you about how bad a wasr is but I have personally fired a few of my friends as well as my own. they all run beautifully and I would like to see someone that shoots better than me fire mine to see what its capable of.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so very much for your thorough response. You've helped me tremendously. I will be passing on it. The warranty is a big concern to me, especially if I can buy one new for that price.

I think I prefer the synthetic stocks to the wood, but that's just me. I like the more modern, tactical look. I'll look into buying a synthetic replacement stock to put on my new WASR10, when I buy it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
725 Posts
My AK (not a WASR) had "more modern" plastic furniture, which was the ugliest brown crap I'd ever seen. I got wood. Wait, that doesn't sound right. I got a set of wood furniture. That's better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I'm in Ohio, and I'm not sure where to even purchase a new AK47. I'd also like to know what the legal limitations are in my State, as far as magazine capacity and "full-auto" spec modifications. Is anyone aware of an internet (or physical) location, where I can obtain this information?

Also, I love the phrase "Furniture", awesome.

I'd go synthetic flat black or camo over brown, any day, any weapon. Wood would be a close 2nd, of course.

What is the price difference between the other manufacturers/models (Saiga and the other), compared to the WASR?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, I'd think you could find one in, ooh, maybe a gun store :) If I recall, Ohio says nothing over 30 in a magazine, so no drums for you. The full auto thing is federal, don't even contemplate it unless you want to get to know your cellmate real well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'd think you could find one in, ooh, maybe a gun store :) If I recall, Ohio says nothing over 30 in a magazine, so no drums for you. The full auto thing is federal, don't even contemplate it unless you want to get to know your cellmate real well.

LOL, yeah. I found one fairly close that sells the Century Arms WASR10, bayonett, 2 30-round mags, and military wood stock - all for $499.99 (with a 1yr warranty). That's my winner. [LINK HERE]

I also asked the salesman about the magazine capacity. He confirmed that it is 30-round limit in the State of Ohio.

As far as full-auto goes, I knew that it wasn't something anyone could get. I didn't think it was illegal though, just that you had to obtain a permit or something.

How do companies like "Red Jacket Firearms" (Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel), modify weapons to full-auto for people? I don't get it... Same thing with silencers/supressors. What's the deal there? Is it just a matter of a special ATF permit or something - or is it just downright illegal for civilians?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My replies in red

As far as full-auto goes, I knew that it wasn't something anyone could get. I didn't think it was illegal though, just that you had to obtain a permit or something.

If your state laws don't prohibit it, machineguns are 100% legal Federally. The only thing is back in 1986, there was a poison pill inserted into a bill that says no new machine guns except for police and military after May 1986 that Reagan signed into law along with the rest of the bill.

So, machineguns made and registered prior to then and were already on the books, can be sold and transferred between individuals along with a one time "registration tax" of $200 for life. (or until sold then the new owner would be obligated to pay their registration tax.)

Coincidentally, NFA items can be transferred to your legal heirs upon your death tax free.

But with being a limited number (and shrinking yearly), they tend to be very expensive.

How do companies like "Red Jacket Firearms" (Sons of Guns on Discovery Channel), modify weapons to full-auto for people?

I talk to Will regularly on the uzitalk forum. He's a good guy.

The thing with Red Jacket are they are a licensed manufacturer, and they can make machineguns for class 3 dealers that has a police department or other agency that wants one built for a demo. Or to purchase.

They can make machine guns all they want.

But they cannot transfer to anyone that doesn't have a "Special Occupations Tax Stamp" (SOT) or to a police force or gov't agency.

I don't get it... Same thing with silencers/supressors. What's the deal there?

As long as your state or local laws don't prohibit it, anyone can make a silencer (or short barrel rifle or short barrel shotgun, destructive device, AOW) to this day. Matter of fact, I have made two silencers, and two short barrel rifles, and own a transferable machinegun as well.

But according to the law, you have to register each silencer and sbr you build with the ATF and pay a one time ($200) manufacturing tax for each one you want to do.

Is it just a matter of a special ATF permit or something - or is it just downright illegal for civilians?

It is downright illegal for a civilian to make a machinegun. No new machineguns after 1986.

Period

It is 100% legal to make a silencer, short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, destructive device or any other weapon as long as you register it first and get approval from the atf in the form of a tax stamp and as long as it's not prohibited by your state law.

But remember, you have to pay the $200 tax and get the approved paperwork back first

Here is a group picture of my NFA weapons.

left to right
Short barrel AR15 with silencer (far left)
short barrel rifle 9mm MP5K PDW (middle)
transferable 9mm submachinegun with silencer (far right)
misc. caliber conversion uppers in the forefround

a few vid's

Max 10 Suppressed Machine Gun - YouTube

Widow Maker MP5 suppressor - YouTube

Suppressed 22 AR - YouTube

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My replies in red
Thank you so very much for the thorough explanation! You answered all my remaining questions, and even offered some cool trivial facts.

YOUR WEAPONS LOOK AWESOME TOO.

I like this forum, and I'll have to check out the other one you spoke of!

Thanks again, all of you! Happy shooting, and God Bless America!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I know Dunham's sells Century WASRs. Last I looked they were $379.

I don't know what part of Ohio you're in, but FinFeatherFur in Ashland will carry them. Check with Vance's if you're in Columbus. I can't remember the name of all the gun shops I've been to in Ohio, but they'll all have them or be able to get you one pretty cheap.

And no, you can't legally convert one to FA.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Thank you so very much for the thorough explanation! You answered all my remaining questions, and even offered some cool trivial facts.

YOUR WEAPONS LOOK AWESOME TOO.
No problem. You're very welcome. I am always happy to put out correct information because there is so much MISinformation about NFA on the internet.

And thanks for the compliment. It's my favorite hobby.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
LOL, yeah. I found one fairly close that sells the Century Arms WASR10, bayonett, 2 30-round mags, and military wood stock - all for $499.99 (with a 1yr warranty). That's my winner. [LINK HERE]

there ya go!

I would *HIGHLY recommend* soaking the bolt in solvent for a good long while before taking it out the first time. shake it and make sure the pin moves freely before you reinstall it on the carrier.

also it wouldn't hurt to disassemble and inspect the mags. I clean and lube steel mags before I use them. I had one tapco that would stick but it worked out.

of course mind your firearms safety rules at all times.

·
Registered
463 Posts
mags are cheap, those wont be an issue for you. I own a WASR and am fairly happy with it, it's a little picky about metal mags but eats ammo like a beast out of the cheap plastic mags. the sad thing is that there is no such thing as a "knockoff ak" in the us it's illegal to import them so what companies do is they strip them down to their baisc parts send all the parts that they are allowed to import and mix and match them with US made parts so technically they are all knockoffs.
the WASR is a romanian lego set with some megabloks mixed in.
from my understanding if you get a romanian, bulgarian, russian(obviously the best quality) or egyptian made ak you are pretty much golden.
ones to stay away from are the chinese and yugoslavian AKs. the Czech rep makes their own version that is also decent but none of the parts are interchangeable with other aks.
a lot of the milsurp ak kits coming in are starting to dry up but century arms is making an AK47 that's all american made parts to start bearing the brunt of a slowly drying up market. used to be you could pick up a nice rusky for $300 now they usually run 800 or more. some of the WASRs like mine have issues with metal mags so a lot of guys turn around and cheat some other guy into buying it rather than paying to ship it back into century to repair it. you'd be better off getting straight from a gun shop.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
my only issue at this point is I have difficulty loading up my 10 rounder.

I think its me though and not the parts fitting together. once I get any of my mags inserted it runs beast.

I think its just inexperience of mag changes.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
from my understanding if you get a romanian, bulgarian, russian(obviously the best quality) or egyptian made ak you are pretty much golden.
ones to stay away from are the chinese and yugoslavian AKs. the Czech rep makes their own version that is also decent but none of the parts are interchangeable with other aks.
The Chinese (Norinco and Polytech) AK's are very desirable if you're a collector and have the coin to buy one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts