Springfield XD Forum banner

Looking To buy first RIA 1911

3K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Cuda66 
#1 ·
i been doing some research on RIA 1911. ive seen few reviews on them but would like to now more from some one that has used one directly. also any good shops to get one from im in ohio

#2 ·
I've owned three; I keep upgrading them...my current is their 2011 full-rail model. I'm impressed enough with it that it's become my nightstand pistol...better praise I really can't give.

I've been very, very happy with them; I think, for the money, they'll stand up to 1911's that are priced double what the RIA costs.

And, their customer service--should you have an issue--is a model or all other manufactureres to aspire to. In short, if you have an issue, they will make it right.

My experience after owning RIA's for better'n 7 or so years, now.

#3 ·
he only problems I have had with my tactical is feeding large mouth hollow points. Hornady critical defense works fine though and it is my night stand gun as well. They are pretty dam accurate too. I am already thinking of how to come up with the money for the full rail version. I want one bad.

#6 ·
I agree w/ jimdanos. RIA are great guns but they are the stripped down version. In contrast, the Citadels are the same gun but w/ the normal improvements so you save money right off the bat. I have a Citadel Compact that functions flawlessly and I highly recommend either brand. You can't go wrong for the price.

As far as a gun store in Ohio, that all depends where you are? I'm in the Akron area and would recommend Crystal Park Hardware in Canton, Pro Gun or Dicks Gun room in the Falls.

#7 ·
I love mine, it is the RIA Officers model, haven't had a problem with it and I have done a few cosmetic upgrades. Bought mine from BudsGunShop.com fro $372.00, I believe the price has gone up a little bit. But it is a great shooter, I plan on getting a holster for it and rotating it my EDC (once I get my CCW).

#8 ·
Very hard to beat ( you really can't IMHO ) for the money

I built a nice RIA 38 Super 5 inch from the GI model a few years back
All parts dropped right in, still going strong

Could not have built 1/2 as nice a shooter for twice the price in 38 Super on any other base gun.

Have no fear

#11 ·
get the ria tac at a minimum just to keep from cutting yourself up its worth it. you will spend 200 bucks making the changes down the road or just spend an extra 40 now and have an awesome gun

if you can swing it the extra 40 above it the citadel (their premium model) is worth it again.

I shoot this way so the ria gi doesn't make any sense.

my ria is totally decked out and I don't think you can beat it under 1400 bucks... I carry it daily. If you get any of the above noted and want to have a super high end gun for 99 bucks a fusion firing control group installed by a smith for 60-80 and checked over by the smith (he'll probably adjust something to make it perfect for around 20 bucks) and your gun will outshoot anything under 1400.

#12 ·
Love mine too...eats everything from WWB, my reloads and 230gr +P Hornady TAP ammo. Only issue I had was hammer bite but that was simple to fix by make a couple minor parts changes. Replaced the factory grips, replaced beavertail and hammer. Hammer and Beavertail from Midway was just under $100.00...and less than an hr to install.

Original Hammer and Beavertail
Gun Firearm Trigger Everyday carry Gun accessory

Wilson Combat Commander Hammer & Wilson Combat Highrise Beavertail
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Illustration

#13 ·
I've owned three; I keep upgrading them...my current is their 2011 full-rail model. I'm impressed enough with it that it's become my nightstand pistol...better praise I really can't give.

I've been very, very happy with them; I think, for the money, they'll stand up to 1911's that are priced double what the RIA costs.

And, their customer service--should you have an issue--is a model or all other manufactureres to aspire to. In short, if you have an issue, they will make it right.

My experience after owning RIA's for better'n 7 or so years, now.
Well all i got to say is cuda66 is a jerk. I had forgotten all about the full rail version until he reminded me. Last night I listed my EAA witness elite match and had it sold today:shock: I was then forced to go to the gun show and buy one.:D and now my NCIS is delayed:cry:
Is there a guns annonimous in VA?

#14 ·
insofar as trigger bite or sharp edges, i have the a1fs with 300 rounds downrange with nary a scratch...not sure if its luck of the draw (no pun intended) or the way individuals handle the weapon differently. again, no issues here at all. Love my RIA. I would (and likely will) buy another.

#17 ·
I agree on the RIA tactical... :D

#19 ·
he only problems I have had with my tactical is feeding large mouth hollow points. Hornady critical defense works fine though and it is my night stand gun as well. They are pretty dam accurate too. I am already thinking of how to come up with the money for the full rail version. I want one bad.
Most 1911's have that problem with the LARGE hollowpoints. Its best to stick with the ones that closely resemble the contour of a fmj ball and you should be ok. Try Federal Hydra Shocks and Power Ball (not the lotto). By the way Ive got the new full rail 2011 Tactical with about 200 rnds so far with zero failures and its very accurate.

#20 ·
Most 1911's have that problem with the LARGE hollowpoints. Its best to stick with the ones that closely resemble the contour of a fmj ball and you should be ok. Try Federal Hydra Shocks and Power Ball (not the lotto). By the way Ive got the new full rail 2011 Tactical with about 200 rnds so far with zero failures and its very accurate.
I just picked up the same one:cool: Shot some Hornady Critical with no issues. Love that gun. 569 out the door. 34 of that was taxes:evil:

#21 ·
I'd rather use a more effective round...sorry, but Powrball & Critical Defense are gimmicks.

My RIA's have fed everything from Ranger-T to HST to Golden Sabers to PDX with no issues...one of them would, occasionally, slightly hang up when chambering the first round (that is, racking the slide) of 230 Gold Dots...but never when actually firing.

But then again, so have most of my good 1911's...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.