Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out if i want a Middy with 16" barrel or a 14.5 with welded FH in CAR length. All opinions welcome. Just newly looking also i am wondering if your handguard options are limited with the Mid length compared to carbine. Thats just what i thought i noticed. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
I decided to go with a midlength because I was told the recoil is a bit softer and that the midlength system is easier on the rifle compared to the carbine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the way i was leaning to. Does this restrict your handguard options? Anyone? It just looks like most places i look have mostly CAR length HGs

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Nope, there are tons of handgaurd options for a midlength. I started off with some standard HGs from CMMG, then put some UTG railed HGs on, and now I have some Daniel Defense free float rails.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I decided to go with a midlength because I was told the recoil is a bit softer and that the midlength system is easier on the rifle compared to the carbine.
+1. The mid-length configuration is much easier on the rifle and reduces perceived recoil as well. I have switched all but one of my "shorter" AR's over to mid-lengths and there is a definite difference.

Handguards are no problem. Most all of the major manufacturers of AR parts/accessories make mid-length handguards from free-float units to ones that just drop right onto the rifle without disassembling the upper. Daniel Defense HG's are what I have on my best middy right now...the model that actually covers to beneath the gas block and surrounds it on all sides but the top...more real estate for bipod, lights, etc.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I am trying to figure out if i want a Middy with 16" barrel or a 14.5 with welded FH in CAR length. All opinions welcome. Just newly looking also i am wondering if your handguard options are limited with the Mid length compared to carbine. Thats just what i thought i noticed. Thanks!!
I have a carbine length 16" but I was going to get a midlength.

the handguard options are really only key if you have a standard Fixed front sight post/gasblock. if it is fixed you will need to get the correct length handguards, even then you can still get the handguards that account for that. I believe MI and samson make extended handguards that fit around shorter gasblock/front sights.

if you go with a lowprofile gas block you can hide it with longer handguards. meaning, you get midlength gas system with a lowprofile block and then you get rifle length handguards that cover it completely. of course then you would have to buy a front sight fixed or flip-up.

go with a middy, a perfect mix of rifle length and carbine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I completed my lower build yesterday and am contemplating the same thing. I am torn between the two. I am leaning towards the middy, why I don't know. Guess I just have to follow it up with another build before Obama cures BGD.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I'm pretty sold on the mid-length. In a 14.5-16 inch barrel, I don't really see any advantage to going with a carbine.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I got a midlength because of the longer sightplane. My 50 year old eyes can see it better. And I also like the way it looked over the CAR.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
When I ordered my CMMG, I went with the mid-length for the following reasons:
1) Longer Sight Plane: After 40, the eyes just don't seem to focus as fast as they used to.
2) I have big paws and liked the longer grip of the mid.
3) I think it looks better....

Woof
Bowser

1 - 12 of 12 Posts