Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first off I'm new here so I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

I have been trying to decide on a handgun to buy for a while and have tried quite a few guns and so far my favorite has been the XDm 5.25 I shot last week. I really love the feel, look, sound, and most importantly I found I was able to shoot the XDm in 5.25 9mm most accurately.

I was at the range today and rented another firearm (sig .45) with a supressor and fell in love with the feel of shooting a suppressed handgun. Something about the experience makes shooting incredibly more satisfying and I was talking to the guys in the store and learned just about anyone can own a supressor 100% legally as long as they pay the tax stamp, at least here in FL.

I was disappointed when one of the guys told me they don't make threaded barrels for the XD but doing some quick searches I see quite a feel people running suppressors (in which case I would reconsider the XD) so he must have been mistaken. I found a threaded barrel for the 3.8 and 4.5 but not the 5.25. Do any exist?

The barrel I found is here: PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL Are there any other threaded barrel options?

If they don't make any for the 5.25 I would just get the 4.5" model. The range I go to only has the 5.25 to rent so I don't know how the 4.5 shoots in comparison but if it is anything like the 5.25 I would have no complaints.

For a supressor I have decided on the Silencerco Osprey and it will look damn good on a back XDm and hopefully not obscure the sights like most round suppressors. Has anyone here used one on an XD who car verify?

Pistol Suppressor | Osprey Gun Silencers

Also, does anyone make extended mags for the XDm? I know some people have something against high capacity mags so I'll throw it out there that I don't need 30+ rounds, but I also don't need a supressor or to own a firearm in the first place. But I want to and it all adds to the fun factor for me and that's what this is about in my case. :)

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I just hope you know the laws on suppressors....just saying. You need a the correct license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hope you know the laws on suppressors....just saying. You need a the correct license.
That's not the case here from the information I have gotten. The store puts class 3 items in a trust and you don't personally need to carry a license. I was told anybody in FL who can pass a background check can buy class 3 items, only the dealer needs a license and the buyer just needs to pay the tax stamp and there is a holding period before you can take it into possession. If that's not true can you link me to the accurate info?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
That's not the case here from the information I have gotten. The store puts class 3 items in a trust and you don't personally need to carry a license. I was told anybody in FL who can pass a background check can buy class 3 items, only the dealer needs a license and the buyer just needs to pay the tax stamp and there is a holding period before you can take it into possession. If that's not true can you link me to the accurate info?
I think I read...it was a $200 tax stamp and (I could be wrong and someone will tell me so) but a class three license as well.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Suppressors are legal in FL. You need to pay the tax and file paperwork with local LEO and ATF. Not all that difficult to obtain. From everything I have read you can also form a corporation or a trust and skip the ATF step altogether. Just do your research and be ready to pay the couple hundred dollars necessary. Good luck :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suppressors are legal in FL. You need to pay the tax and file paperwork with local LEO and ATF. Not all that difficult to obtain. From everything I have read you can also form a corporation or a trust and skip the ATF step altogether. Just do your research and be ready to pay the couple hundred dollars necessary. Good luck :)
Yep, the shop sets up a trust to skip all that stuff. Is there much of a difference between the 5.25 and 4.5? I guess I should try to find a place to shoot the 4.5 before making a decision. What should I consider when looking at either length, does anything stand out between the two?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts