Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently turned 21 and purchased my first handgun, an XD-9. However, I am quickly learning that shooting is an unbelievably expensive hobby, especially for a college student.

I would love to be able to build an AR in the future, however that will have to wait a while. I think it would be great fun to have a 10/22 to plink around with. It would be a nice and cheap way to satiate my shooting hunger
. I would like to get a simple 10/22, stock would be completely fine for me, no fancy accessories necessary. I would like to spend as little money possible without sacrificing quality, so I'm not adverse to buying used. Also, I have been looking at a 10/22 because of future customization ability.

Where should I start looking? I live in Knoxville, TN if anyone knows a good place to look.. Also, how willing are gun store owners usually willing to negotiate? I would hate to piss off the owners of the places I will be frequenting.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
i ask about a better price on every gun i buy and i usually get it. im no haggler either. it also helps that i normally use 1 gun store and deal with the same salesperson. they know i buy so they are willing to knock off 30-50$.

for the .22 i dont think i would suggest the 10/22. i think you can get a better gun for less money. i bought my ruger 10/22 due to the reputation but then found out later that ruger had cheapened out. the "stainless" version i got is some grey paint instead of the nice stainless finish. also the trigger assembley is also all plastic. im not planning on tricking it out, just wanted a decent plinker. if i had known the ruger was not what it once was i would have just gotten the mossberg plinkster, i deffinately would NOT have gotten this ruger. mossberg plinkster is much cheaper and has some great reviews. available at walmart for a decent price, if you want to buy a gun from walmart. some people have issues with doing so.

as for shooting being expensive, just be glad you didnt buy a .40 or .45. 9mm is CHEAP!:mrgreen:

·
Registered
555 Posts
I was in your same position about 2 years ago.

I bought a XD9 and shortly after picked up a used 10/22 in very good condition. They're very fun and cheap to shoot and its nice to be able to add stuff to it later.

If you're just looking for something cheap, pick up a base model and mod it as you feel like it.

Here is an older pic of mine:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yeah, I would seriously consider something other than a 10/22. Granted, they are probably the most customizable 22 out there, but I agree with TeeJay about them. A friend bought one (for about $120 at a gun show) and we went and shot it straight out of the box (I think it was his first). I'm sure we were using some of the cheapest ammo available, but it still seemed to jam about once per clip. I know you could find reasons to justify that, but don't expect anything like the XD in terms of quality and reliability. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a 10/22, but I definitely recommend looking at the other options and actually trying out a friend's (unless you've already done that, in which case never mind :roll:).

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
All rimfire semi-auto weapons are very ammo sensitive. And for the most part cheap .22 ammo is going to cause problems.

The gold standard is CCI Mini Mags. Every .22 semi-auto I own works flawlessly with them.

Some of my firearms will work with bulk pack .22 ammo of various brands. There are some brands that will barely work in any of my firearms.

The things that cause the most problems are bulk pack hollow points. You can even hear the difference from one round to the next on some of this stuff.

The Stainless Steel 10/22 rifles are SS barrels only. The receivers have and always will be alloy. If you want a real SS receiver then they are available. They run about $400.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I love my 10/22. I bought mine at walmart and I have shot thousands of rounds through it. My friend had the same thing and he loves his just as much as I do. I love it because there are a crap load of things you can get for it. I put a folding stock on mine and take it with me in the woods to mess around with it. Nothing more fun then taking a few 50 round magazines and emptying them as fast as you can and only costing you a few bucks. My 2 cents is I would stuck with a 10/22.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My 10/22 when stock would shoot all of the cheap ammo.....Winchester 500 pack, Remington Golden Bullet 550 pack, and Federal 550 pack with maybe a few jams per box. Now that I have modified it, it has become a little bit more picky. Since my 10/22 is mainly for squirrel hunting I usually use CCI mini mags and as said before they are the best.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
i ask about a better price on every gun i buy and i usually get it. im no haggler either. it also helps that i normally use 1 gun store and deal with the same salesperson. they know i buy so they are willing to knock off 30-50$.

for the .22 i dont think i would suggest the 10/22. i think you can get a better gun for less money. i bought my ruger 10/22 due to the reputation but then found out later that ruger had cheapened out. the "stainless" version i got is some grey paint instead of the nice stainless finish. also the trigger assembley is also all plastic. im not planning on tricking it out, just wanted a decent plinker. if i had known the ruger was not what it once was i would have just gotten the mossberg plinkster, i deffinately would NOT have gotten this ruger. mossberg plinkster is much cheaper and has some great reviews. available at walmart for a decent price, if you want to buy a gun from walmart. some people have issues with doing so.

as for shooting being expensive, just be glad you didnt buy a .40 or .45. 9mm is CHEAP!:mrgreen:

They don't make a stainless finish. Just a stainless barrel. If yours had "paint" on it, that isn't ruger, that's the cheap gun store you bought it from scamming you.

The 10/22 is the best .22 to start with , cheap and accurate. I love mine, with just the iron sights.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
The finish on the "stainless" receivers has been known to peel off. It's almost like a paint on the receiver.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The finish on the "stainless" receivers has been known to peel off. It's almost like a paint on the receiver.
Yup the only stainless 10/22 receivers are the magnum and aftermarkets. Mine had some sort of coating peel off of it soon after I got it, paint/clearcoat whatever, it peeled off. Was gonna look into some of the aftermarket receivers and build one up but the GSG came along lol.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
i dont shop at cheap gun stores. also this ruger was bought at walmart, it is indeed a ruger, it is called stainless but it is some grey paint on the barrel. ive seen the older version of the same model at a different walmart and it was the real stainless barrel, it actually looks like stainless. older version also has a metal trigger guard. mine has grey plastic.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had my 10/22 for about 15 years now, and have never had any problems with it, cheap ammo or CCI. It had the factory stainless barrel and laminate stock until last year when I added a Tactical Solutions barrel and a hogue stock, both in OD Green. If you are happy with the price, who cares if the barrel is real stainless or painted? Just shoot the wee out of it, then replace the barrel when you get the extra money. I promise you will get the custom bug, and the options are almost limitless with the 10/22.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
i dont shop at cheap gun stores. also this ruger was bought at walmart, it is indeed a ruger, it is called stainless but it is some grey paint on the barrel. ive seen the older version of the same model at a different walmart and it was the real stainless barrel, it actually looks like stainless. older version also has a metal trigger guard. mine has grey plastic.
Yeah was just reading that the newer 10/22s have a painted barrel and a plastic trigger guard.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you are looking to stay away from the plastic trigger group (which usually has the painted finish on the barrel), try to find one that has been sitting on the shelf for a bit. Ruger recently started using the plastic. If the mag release is not flush with the bottom of the trigger group, it is plastic (only on new guns-if buying used, it could have been changed by the previous owner).

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts