Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After watching the '97 north hollywood shootout last night on tv, it renewed my interest in getting a .308 rifle or carbine

What is the best .308 weapon out there in terms of reliability, ergonomics, accuracy, etc. Alternatively, what is the best bang for the buck?

If someone has a picture of their own, please, post it!:D

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Well bang for the buck would be a PTR 91.

Less initial cash than some a bit more than others. But the cost of magazines right now is under $10 each compared to $40-$50 for most of the rest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After watching the '97 north hollywood shootout last night on tv, it renewed my interest in getting a .308 rifle or carbine

What is the best .308 weapon out there in terms of reliability, ergonomics, accuracy, etc. Alternatively, what is the best bang for the buck?

If someone has a picture of their own, please, post it!:D
Scoped REM 700 BDL would have ended that shootout in two shots. You cannot beat the bolts for all the catagories mentioned. As an old High Power shooter I loved my M1A with the heavy barrel, Glass stock and handloaded ammor. But for reliability it is lacking. Over the years I had to replace its trigger, op-rod guide, barrell (twice) and receiver.

·
Premium Member
37,693 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a DPMS in 308, fun to shoot, kicks, but hey it is a big rifle. It is like a 223s Big Brother.
Also have a HK91 wantabee and it weighs a ton but kicks less. Both shoot well and can do some damage. I quess you could assault someone with either.:twisted:

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The PTR is good but I won't put it ahead of my D.S. Arms FAL, in 7.62/.308 I feel it's the cream of the crop for Sport Utility Rifles. Plus much of it is made in the good ole U.S. of A.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I prefer my Saiga .308 over any of the rifles mentioned. It's a smaller, lighter and more reliable package then any of the rifles above. I built my Saiga .308 for just over $500, considerably less then a PTR-91, FAL, or AR10. The only downfall to it is the magazine prices and selection. Only 2 companies make high cap mags and they run $40-50 each.

-Derek

·
Registered
190 Posts
My first choice would be a M1A and then the FN FAL

+2
i would want to spend the extra to have either semi-auto rifle (more PC terminology then assault rifle) I have not sent a .308 down the barrel of an AR-10, and would think there may be some serious muzzle flip, i could be wrong, but either way M1A or a FN FAL without the handle.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
+2
i would want to spend the extra to have either semi-auto rifle (more PC terminology then assault rifle) I have not sent a .308 down the barrel of an AR-10, and would think there may be some serious muzzle flip, i could be wrong, but either way M1A or a FN FAL without the handle.
I have a Miculek comp on my DPMS 308B. There is absolutely no muzzle flip. It is amazing to shoot. I also have a Miculeck comp on my 5.56 and there is no recoil there either. You just stay right on target. It was very easy to scope (3-12x50).

(NOTE: there is a great deal of side blast and the noise is much louder - I wear hearing protection)

Chapie+

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
+2
I have an AR-10 and a really bad back. Before I first fired the rifle I kind of expected it to hurt me pretty good (torso twisting=bad 3 days). To my surprise, firing in a standing position I could barely feel any kick and the muzzle rise was nearly non-existent. Of all the .308's I've shot over the years, my AR-10 is the best of them all in this regard. Only downside is the mag prices :cry:

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have a Cetme, close to a PTR91, and I love it. Much shorter than an M-14 and mags are $2+change. I bought one instead of a Socom.
They're not so plentiful right now but when you find them they're around $500, depending on accessories.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Don't own one, but what about the Springfield M14's and Socoms?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
AR = American Rifle ;)

Good luck finding one. I'm pulling all my markers and having a real hard time finding a good AR.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I have a Cetme, close to a PTR91, and I love it. Much shorter than an M-14 and mags are $2+change. I bought one instead of a Socom.
They're not so plentiful right now but when you find them they're around $500, depending on accessories.
Where do you find them (Cetme) these days for around $500?

Chapie+

1 - 19 of 19 Posts