Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK y'all, I just saw a Ruger Special Edition P90 NIB at a local dealer for $499. So I would like to hear what everyones opinion is on this gun and whether or not that seems like a good price. I am in the Albuquerque NM area as I am sure there is differences in price in other areas of the country. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
OK y'all, I just saw a Ruger Special Edition P90 NIB at a local dealer for $499. So I would like to hear what everyones opinion is on this gun and whether or not that seems like a good price. I am in the Albuquerque NM area as I am sure there is differences in price in other areas of the country. Thanks for your input.

First off , I like your qoute about seconds counting . I have had a P-90 back in 1995 and it functioned flawlessly. Built like a tank!
I just havent priced them lately . Sorry to go off topic , but I thought I'd let you know how good they are :grin:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Tercel. I appreciate the input. The gun just felt so good in my hands and the trigger pull was sooooo much lighter (BETTER) than expected. It has a lot of pre-travel/slack but I think that would not take too long to get used to. My brother has a P89 and the trigger pull on that gun is about 7.5 lbs this one feels like somewhere around 4 possibly a little less. However I was not able to shoot it and the only dealer around here that has a range and does rentals does not handle Rugers, so they do not have one for me to try out :evil: big bummer LOL

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Most Ruger P-series guns around here start around $400 and go up from there. Are there a lot of upgrades on it?
They really are built like tanks; big, heavy and a lot of steel. They are dependable though.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most Ruger P-series guns around here start around $400 and go up from there. Are there a lot of upgrades on it?
They really are built like tanks; big, heavy and a lot of steel. They are dependable though.
I am not sure really what makes it a special edition for sure other than a slightly fancier box that says Special Edition on it. LOL. It is aluminum frame, SS slide and I believe possibly Mepro night sights. Other than that I am unsure as I can not find a listing online for a SE.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
My first pistol was a P-89 9mm . Then I got a P-90 . Awesome gun . I wish I never sold it . I have thought about putting one on layway. Man , the memories are awesome. Heck , now I have GOT to get one .
DonXD40, you are now making me go in debt, I hope you are sorry :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first pistol was a P-89 9mm . Then I got a P-90 . Awesome gun . I wish I never sold it . I have thought about putting one on layway. Man , the memories are awesome. Heck , now I have GOT to get one .
DonXD40, you are now making me go in debt, I hope you are sorry :mrgreen:
:twisted: Well what can I say Tercel? what is it they say? Oh yeah, Misery Loves Company, LOL. But you did give me an idea. I never thought about putting one on lay-away...... things that make ya go hmmmmmmm? :cool:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If you can find a shoop that has layaway , then do it . That way you can snag it up when you see it and it will be safely locked away until you pay her off, interest free:) .
I am seriously thinking of putting the P90 on layway now , I sure do miss her . Ruger P-series are tough as nails . They are kinda big but tough as nails 8)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
my first gun was a p95 and i loved that thing i put roughly 8000 rounds through it in the first year and never had one problem at all no ftf,fte nothing and it was dropped a few times as well and never performed anything less than flawlessly

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
btt

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked on up, old back stock never fired. With box extra mag and mag loader for under $300 before tax, thats what I did put it on lay away. i added houge grips and a few extra mags and still under what msrp is on the gun. I have already ran 500+ rounds thru it and no problems. The trigger does need work thou.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked on up, old back stock never fired. With box extra mag and mag loader for under $300 before tax, thats what I did put it on lay away. i added houge grips and a few extra mags and still under what msrp is on the gun. I have already ran 500+ rounds thru it and no problems. The trigger does need work thou.
Sounds like you got a really seet deal. What do you mean by "The trigger does need work though"? I know thatit has a lot of pre-travel/slack but the one that I held and dry fired seemed to have a trigger pull of about 4 lbs. or so, a lot lighter than I expected after shooting my bro's P89. I t has a trigger pull of 7.5 lbs. Now I do not know if the lighter pull on the one I had in my hands is typical of the P90 or not as it is the only one that I have held and dry fired.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Sounds like you got a really seet deal. What do you mean by "The trigger does need work though"? I know thatit has a lot of pre-travel/slack but the one that I held and dry fired seemed to have a trigger pull of about 4 lbs. or so, a lot lighter than I expected after shooting my bro's P89. I t has a trigger pull of 7.5 lbs. Now I do not know if the lighter pull on the one I had in my hands is typical of the P90 or not as it is the only one that I have held and dry fired.
This is just my opinion : I hear people say that "the trigger needs to be worked on" . I hear it on this gun and the CZ and the Glock , and the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar , but to tell you the truth, I have all those guns new out of the box and they all functiom FINE TO ME . People these days are just picky and choosy , but I am easy to please , I prefer funtion over fashion . When I pull the trigger and it goes bang , then I am happy .

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is just my opinion : I hear people say that "the trigger needs to be worked on" . I hear it on this gun and the CZ and the Glock , and the Beretta/Stoeger Cougar , but to tell you the truth, I have all those guns new out of the box and they all functiom FINE TO ME . People these days are just picky and choosy , but I am easy to please , I prefer funtion over fashion . When I pull the trigger and it goes bang , then I am happy .
I would say in general that I agree with you and that what ever pistol it is if it is yours and you shoot it regularly, then you will just get used to its little idiosyncracies (sp?) and adjust and shoot it just fine (I would think anyway). BUT I have access to a Kimber Eclipse SS, 4", .45 w/ Hogue grips and Mepro night sights that I can shoot fairly regularly and it has a much shorter take up and reset than my XD40 does with a very crisp break @ 3.5 lbs and I Love that trigger and I just plain shoot it more accurately than my XD. And the more that I practice with my XD and increase my accuracy my accuracy with the Kimber improves and I still shoot it better. Go figure LOL. However I still LOVE my XD40, what can I say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Let me re-phrase that the pre-travel in the trigger is quit a bit to me and if you shot it from the decocked position it is a long hard trigger pull. But for the plinker that I bought this for it is a great shooter and for the money I paid I will not complain. My XD45 will be sent of for trigger work and sights put on before any trigger work done to the P90.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I've had a P90 for years. Like he said, built like a tank. Rugged, dependable, and inexpensive. Not real accurate guns IMO and the fit and finish could be better but still great for a house or knockaround gun. Price seems a little steep unless it has some pretty fancy extras.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feed back and let's keep those cards and letters coming. All opinions appreciated, good, bad or indifferent, so don't be shy.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bump

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
It's not a P-90, but still in the "P" family...

My Ruger P-97 in .45ACP. Yes, built like a tank and reliable as anything!
I like it alot!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts