Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have almost $1000 set aside for my next handgun purchase. My current favorite gun is my XD40 tactical, so I would want something similar or close to it but in an upgrade. I have been thinking about a XDm 40/45. Kimber tactical custom ll , pro ll or tlr/rl custom ll all look really nice. I have yet to fire any of these guns. Gun will be mainly a range gun. So im looking for some input.
Im open to 1911 or a tactical 4"/5" barrels 40/45 new or used.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,433 Posts
There are quite a few good 1911's in the 1k range to choose.

I am also not a fan of Kimber or Para.

My wife has the Springfield Loaded and I had Ruger. Sold the Ruger to someone who offered me more much money than I paid.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice pics.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man I can't find a 1911 in .40

I have a butt load of .40 ammo.

·
Banned
0 Posts
If it has to be .40 go emp or step up to the plate and get a TRP.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
If you like your XD Tac in .40 I'm sure you'll like the XDm in .40 S&W. Stay with pistols that fully support the case-head with any pistol you choose.

For a 1911 under $1000, it's gonna be hard to find something better than the Ruger SR1911. The SA Range Officer is a good pistol by all accounts, but I'd still rather have the SR1911. There are also excellent 1911's from the Phillipines that are made on CNC machinery that get very good reviews. The Rock Island Armory and Citadel pistols from Armscor as well as the STI Spartan where they have their own production line at Armscor for slides and frames and then get STI internals. The other is the American Classic series from Metro Arms which is probably the way I'd go with a Phillipino made 1911. RIA doesn't make a .40 that I'm aware of but the Tac II is available in 10mm. If you handload for it, it's rather easy to make .40 level loads in 10mm cases where pressure will be a good bit lower than the equivelant .40 S&W load while performance is the same. Me, I'd rather have a 1911 in 10mm where I'd load "down" rather than one chambered in .40 S&W. ;)

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
You have a butt load of .40 - maybe look at the CZ C75B SA. You get a pretty good trigger - it's not a 1911 but it's pretty good. 4.6 inch barrel so that gets you in the tactical size you requested. A metal gun that has a great feel, at least in my hand. It will be heavier than the XD and has a lower bore axis so muzzle flip will be reduced. It's worth a look.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I just got back from the Gun show. I checked out a lot of guns and really liked the feel of a Sig Sauer p229

No kimbers that i was looking to ger.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Can't go wrong with the SIG P229. Although a CZ 75 is about the best bang for the buck out there.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
You may go over the 1000 mark, but the SW 1911's are excellent. If you want to spend a bit more go with a SA TRP, although the Range Officer and Loaded are good choices too. They're all in 45 though.

If you want to stay in 40 I'd suggest one of the following:

HK P30 in 40

Sig P226 in 40

CZ75 / CZSP01 / CZ Tactical Sport, all can be had in 40. The 75 and SP01 are well under a grand, the Tactical Sport will be a bit over.

Any of those are excellent handguns. They will outshoot just about anything else in their price range.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You have a butt load of .40 - maybe look at the CZ C75B SA. You get a pretty good trigger - it's not a 1911 but it's pretty good. 4.6 inch barrel so that gets you in the tactical size you requested. A metal gun that has a great feel, at least in my hand. It will be heavier than the XD and has a lower bore axis so muzzle flip will be reduced. It's worth a look.
The P09 in .40 is another excellent choice.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Get the Xd-m 40. Great triggers, match grade barrel, extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Stick some trijicon hd's on her and have cash left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I am not a fan of the Kimbers, but I do like a fine 1911. Other than to have one custom made to your specifications, personally, I like the Smith & Wesson E Series 1911SC
I have to agree: I have 3 variations of the XD Platform, {XD9, XD45, and XDM 5.25 .40} and like all of them, but my last two have been 1911's. Just picked up the SW1911SC and it is a great addition. Also have the TRP...another great weapon.

If you don't have a good 1911, I would definitely consider adding one to the armory.

Bowser

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
You could always get an RIA Tac 2011 hi cap in 9mm and have it fitted with a .40 barrel. I just shot my new Tac 2011 in .45 today and I'm in love with this gun!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I suggested the CZ 75B SA because it is single action only which gets you in the same world as the XD and Glock you own but with a safety. You would carry it cocked and locked as you would a 1911.

The SP-01 is a DA/SA with a decocker only. A different animal than the XD and Glock, but different can be good. The SP has a rail so if a light is important to you, that would be a tipping point.

It really depends on which way you want to jump. The SP Tactical, as the name denotes tells you that this is not a range only gun. Some would say with the single action only and sensitive trigger protected only by a thumb safety that the 75BD SA without a rail would be just a range gun only, but there would be a herd of 1911 owners that would take issue with that idea.

Do fondle one to see how it feels in your hand. I put Hogue finger grips on mine. Not classy looking but feels great and that's what is important to me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts