Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first AR-15. Unfortunately I live in NY and therefore must comply with the ridiculous laws. The only AR's I see that are NY ready are the M&P15's. I would really like to build my own (I have my eye on some Spike's parts) but it seems most manufacturers don't offer compliant options. I just looked at both Spikes and RRA, and none of the complete uppers are compliant (they have flash hiders, etc.). RRA doesn't offer a single barrell that isn't threaded, which is also against the law. Seems that nowhere I look has parts to build a compliant rifle. Is it even going to be possible for me to build one out of quality parts, or should I settle for the M&P15? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I am looking to buy my first AR-15. Unfortunately I live in NY and therefore must comply with the ridiculous laws. The only AR's I see that are NY ready are the M&P15's. I would really like to build my own (I have my eye on some Spike's parts) but it seems most manufacturers don't offer compliant options. I just looked at both Spikes and RRA, and none of the complete uppers are compliant (they have flash hiders, etc.). RRA doesn't offer a single barrell that isn't threaded, which is also against the law. Seems that nowhere I look has parts to build a compliant rifle. Is it even going to be possible for me to build one out of quality parts, or should I settle for the M&P15? Thanks!
Nothing wrong with a S&W M&P. I would rather have one than something fro RRA.

·
Registered
780 Posts
So basically you need what is reffered to as a Bull or Varmint barrel?
On the RRA page of upper halves the 4-6 uppers from the bottom don't use threaded barrels. Rock River Arms: .223/5.56mm Upper Halves
CMMG CMMG Bull Barrel Uppers CMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon
White Oak Precision White Oak Precision - Service Rifle Uppers

Also give Erik at Loki Weapon Systems a call or Email. I'm sure they would be glad to work with you on making a NY compliant upper for a very reasonable price. Contact Information - LOKI Weapon Systems

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
RRA makes great product! I have a RRA midlength upper that is sub MOA when I do my part.

fsu gave you some good links riot. That should be all you need, in addition to a lower, stock, and LPK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a complete RRA.... Well minus the DDM rail, its a damn good rifle and out preforms my friends M&P all day long

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a complete RRA.... Well minus the DDM rail, its a damn good rifle and out preforms my friends M&P all day long
We ain't talkin' comedy here. Just how does it "outperform my friends M&P all day long"? It must get pretty tired! :p

Nothing against RRA but this really gets silly sometimes. Other than low end stuff and uber high end builds, this middle class is pretty comparable if the builds are basically equal in options.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Eh, there's still some things in the middle class that differ.

RRAs will be more accurate out of the box for most people just because of the trigger and added weight. They tend to be on the chunky side.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Eh, there's still some things in the middle class that differ.

RRAs will be more accurate out of the box for most people just because of the trigger and added weight. They tend to be on the chunky side.
That may be so but weight is generally NOT considered desirable. Also the boards of many AR sites are full of reports of RRA 2 stage triggers deteriorating pretty quickly into gritty, single stage wrecks. That may have been corrected recently but anyone wanting a target rifle/carbine would do well to go with Geiselle or another known great trigger.

My M&P was accurate out of the box, GI trigger and all AND I am not new to the platform. A really good, non GI spec trigger and good optics and the S&Ws stand up to most offerings with 16" Carbine specs pretty well, IMHO.

The point is choose what you want and like and have confidence in. My faith in S&W comes from years of experience first as duty weapons then as personal firearms. The M&P 15 has not diminished that faith or ever failed to perform well. Do I think a more expensive "boutique" brand might be superior in some ways? Sure. Is RRA one of those? Definitely not. If you peruse the rifle forums the complaints about RRA are more numerous than those from S&W owners who seem overwhelmingly pleased with their weapons. Most of us change triggers and rails and such anyway so the sub par stock offerings of most middle line manufacturers are soon replaced anyway. The GI trigger on the S&W is pretty smooth and reliable and not intended for target shooting excellence anyway but is rather a good Military spec. example.

I am only posting this to dissuade new folks from making choices based on the very subjective and anecdotal "outperform all day" type hyperbole sometimes posted about specific brands here. Most will make you a fan of the platform, some for less money than others and some are more pampered and "male jewelry" types than others.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That may be so but weight is generally NOT considered desirable. Also the boards of many AR sites are full of reports of RRA 2 stage triggers deteriorating pretty quickly into gritty, single stage wrecks. That may have been corrected recently but anyone wanting a target rifle/carbine would do well to go with Geiselle or another known great trigger.

My M&P was accurate out of the box, GI trigger and all AND I am not new to the platform. A really good, non GI spec trigger and good optics and the S&Ws stand up to most offerings with 16" Carbine specs pretty well, IMHO.

The point is choose what you want and like and have confidence in. My faith in S&W comes from years of experience first as duty weapons then as personal firearms. The M&P 15 has not diminished that faith or ever failed to perform well. Do I think a more expensive "boutique" brand might be superior in some ways? Sure. Is RRA one of those? Definitely not. If you peruse the rifle forums the complaints about RRA are more numerous than those from S&W owners who seem overwhelmingly pleased with their weapons. Most of us change triggers and rails and such anyway so the sub par stock offerings of most middle line manufacturers are soon replaced anyway. The GI trigger on the S&W is pretty smooth and reliable and not intended for target shooting excellence anyway but is rather a good Military spec. example.

I am only posting this to dissuade new folks from making choices based on the very subjective and anecdotal "outperform all day" type hyperbole sometimes posted about specific brands here. Most will make you a fan of the platform, some for less money than others and some are more pampered and "male jewelry" types than others.
Good post. Hence my earlier post about prefering S&W. Not to mention, if you ever want to put a milspec size receiver extension on your rifle, the commercial one is almost impossible to get off, as RRA loctites them in.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
riot, look up post ban when you do your search.

There are a ton of AR manufacturers that offer postban versions (unthreaded barrels, and bull barrels) for you folks behind enemy lines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Get a spikes with the dynacomp or the battle comp. They are considered "compensators" and I believe they are legal in your state but I would make full well sure they are before doing it. They have similar flash hiding capabilities but also reduce recoil and muzzle climb to something like a .22 mag. No joke. they are great.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys. Thank you jn_fsu for the links. CMMG actually sells a complete rifle that is exactly what I want!! I called them today and they can pin the stock and supply 10-round mags which will make it legal in NY.

CMMG 16" Bull Barrel Rifle w/4 Rail Handguard, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

They also sell a piston version that costs more. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Thank you jn_fsu for the links. CMMG actually sells a complete rifle that is exactly what I want!! I called them today and they can pin the stock and supply 10-round mags which will make it legal in NY.

CMMG 16" Bull Barrel Rifle w/4 Rail Handguard, www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

They also sell a piston version that costs more. Can anyone tell me what the difference is?
They cost more, add more weight, and add more moving parts that can fail. On the upside, if you hate cleaning your rifle, this will help you avoid it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They cost more, add more weight, and add more moving parts that can fail. On the upside, if you hate cleaning your rifle, this will help you avoid it.
LOL! Sounds like something I don't want. If I've understood what I've read, the smart thing to do would be to order the upper and lower receivers seperately to avoid the federal tax. Will I need special tools to assemble it once I have both parts?

·
Registered
29,606 Posts
Punches, a hammer, and a screwdriver or allen wrench for the pistol grip.

Helpful things are a vice grips (needlenose preferable) and masking tape.

·
Registered
780 Posts
LOL! Sounds like something I don't want. If I've understood what I've read, the smart thing to do would be to order the upper and lower receivers seperately to avoid the federal tax. Will I need special tools to assemble it once I have both parts?
If your ordering a complete upper and a complete lower just seperately you won't need tools. But if your building your lower you will.

·
Registered
780 Posts

Your welcome! Glad I could help. :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would order a complete upper and a complete lower, so I guess I don't need any tools. Somewhere down the line I may try building one, but for now I'll be happy just putting the two parts together. Thanks again jn_fsu, I might have never come across the CMMG website without your advice!

·
Registered
780 Posts
No problem man thats what we are all here for. :)
I started my research for my first rifle last summer. I spent 6 months reading and picking up pieces here and there. I'm just finishing up my second build and feverishly picking apart optics now for them. In my early research i forgot to even do that. But hey thats part of growing and learning. Along the way I racked up a huge favorite folder full of websites of manufactures, assemblying, training, and now optics to keep for future use. So when I see someone trying to find something i remember my own struggles, I hit up my folder, rumage thru and find what I can to help. I love seeing other peoples projects come together almost as much as my own! Congratulations on finding a rifle. Have fun with it!
Oh and you will soon find out you will want another and to modify what you have. Its called Black Rifle Disease which you will probably learn and get after you get out there and start shooting... Most of us do. I know I have it! :twisted:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts