Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple 5.56. Looking for larger caliber for big game hunting, etc. :cool: Thinking of a Bushmaster .450, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8. Any suggestions? Looking for complete rifle or will get upper and lower separately.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
458 SOCOM would be my first choice

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Normally I would suggest an AR-10 in 7.62, but you already have a couple of AR-15 rifles so it would make sense to get an upper that you can attach to one of the lowers you already have. The .458 SOCOM wouldn't be a bad choice but I'm not sure how the ammo and mag prices compare to the 6.8, 6.5 Grendel or 50 Beowulf. Right now I would compare the prices of those and base your decision on that.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The 458 SOCOM and the 50 Beowulf are the "top dawgs" for AR big bore rifles. If you want a REALLY big bullet...those are the best two options. You can get complete rifles from several sources, including Rock River (458 only.) Alexander Arms has the .50 Beowulf and is the best place to buy. I prefer the Beowulf, but you'll have just as many people tell you the 458 is the superior round.

The Grendel is probably one of the best "potential" rifles out there right now just because it is such a flat shooting and accurate cartridge. Again, Alexander Arms is the way to go...and Sabre Defense as well.

Of course, don't rule out the other AR big boys, including the AR-10 chambered in 243, 260, 284, 308, 35 Rem, 358 Win, 300WSM, 7mmWSM, etc.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Not necessairy have to have a "huge" bore. Something for deer, and maybe larger game. Any particular complete rifles to suggest. Just saw over at DPMS their new Panther 6.5 creedmore has a 12 month wait! Wow. The assault weapon bad will be in place before that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
the 6.5/308 is a different beast then the 458/50 beowolf. Think of it as a 45-70 auto loader (almost).

Had a 458, probably should not have sold it. It would make an ideal heavy woods brush gun for just about anything in North America. Kicked liked a 20 gauge. Good fun.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Well if you don't necessarily need a 'huge' bore gun, then just get yourself an AR-10 and be done with it. I will warn you that the mags are $45 from Armalite.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Mr. Larue (of Larue Tactical) recently shot a bull elk at 430 yards (I think, might've been farther) with a 6.5 Grendel. One shot, one kill.

The 6.5 Grendel is my new favorite round. I'm in the middle of building my second one. I have an 18" and am building a 24" now.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What kind of big game are you talking about buffalo, moose, elk, deer, all of the above??? It may be a lot cheaper if you just get a bolt action in 300 win mag or some thing of that sort!!! Just throwing the option out there!!!

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr. Larue (of Larue Tactical) recently shot a bull elk at 430 yards (I think, might've been farther) with a 6.5 Grendel. One shot, one kill.

The 6.5 Grendel is my new favorite round. I'm in the middle of building my second one. I have an 18" and am building a 24" now.
You're my best buddy now! ha ha :D After lots of reading I think I'm 90% sold on the Grendel. I have a budget for the gun minus optics of $1500 but preferably less if I don't need to spend that much. What do you suggest? And I'd like to get it soon. Don't want to wait months for an upper or barrel like I've heard is going on with some weapons.

Got any pics of your builds? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
You need to call Alexander Arms and see what kind of wait you are looking at for the specific type of rifle you want. Like most AR-platform rifles, the sky's the limit in terms of options. You will be hard pressed to get a complete Grendel for much, if any, less than $1,500 delivered and be prepared to wait on it.

Here are some options:

Alexander Arms: Grendel Products: 6.5 Grendel® Entry - Complete Rifle - Entry Model

Alexander Arms: Grendel Products: 6.5 Grendel® Hunter Model - Complete Rifle - Hunter Model

Alexander Arms: Grendel Products: 6.5 Grendel® Overwatch - Complete Weapons System - Overwatch

Also, if you go the build route, you can order uppers from Alexander Arms or Sabre Denfense, etc. Midway USA stocks some of the AA and Sabre stuff, but they are out of about everything.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
If you are 90% on the Grendel, that means you are really 100% but just haven't realized that yet. I've always had a philosophy of 50/50, meaning either it rains or doesn't, you do it or you don't.

Anyway, since you'd like to keep your budget around $1500 minus optics you have several options. First you need to decide on barrel length as that dictates pretty much everything else you'll need. Is this going to be primarily a hunting rifle or multi-purpose rifle (home defense, hunting, SHTF)? If you going to use this strictly for hunting, a 20" or longer barrel would be best, although 20" will be plenty.

Once you'd decided on barrel length, Google till your eyes bleed (or you find the best deal on what you want). Just a quick Google turned up the following:

$720 6.5 Grendel upper from SniperCountryPX.com

$320 Daniel Defense Omega Rail 12

So for $1040 (minus tax/shipping) you'll have yourself a nice 6.5 Grendel upper with a two piece, quick install free float quad rail. Then all you need to do is find a lower that is actually in stock, but until then you can use the lower from one of your two AR-15s.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I always keep the TwoDot test in mind.

If you can't walk into the store in TwoDot Montana and buy ammo for it then you are buying a boutique caliber.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I'd say just build your own if you can. The 18" barrel/bolt kit from AA makes a GREAT mid-weight hunting rifle (I have one myself). That also allows you to pick and choose forends, etc to get just what you want.

I built my last one myself, and I couldn't be any happier with it. That's why I ordered the AA 24" barrel/bolt kit for the second one.

I think that one came out to $1800-1900 total (including optics).

As for the ammo being "boutique"... I have a local shop that stocks it (and they have a 19.5" Hunter in stock right now) because after shooting mine, the shop owner bought his own. ;)

But you can buy the ammo at a multitude of places online, and it's usually in stock and ships quickly.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I'm building a 6.5 Grendel... bought a upper and now added scope and ff handguard. My Winter project. Want it for moose hunting.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm building a 6.5 Grendel... bought a upper and now added scope and ff handguard. My Winter project. Want it for moose hunting.
What upper and lower are you using?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always keep the TwoDot test in mind.

If you can't walk into the store in TwoDot Montana and buy ammo for it then you are buying a boutique caliber.
Well then that bears the question; can you walk into a TwoDot and get 6.5 Grendel? :cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts