Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firs t off, greetings to all. I am new to this forum, and have been browsing different forums, and found this one to be full of knowledgeable and sincere individuals. 5 years back I sold my Colt spotter 2, ar15 .223 in order to help my father and family, along with my 68 camaro, and my grand national. My father who just passed away this past Monday of cancer was a solid mentor to me, a loving grandpa, and a proud veteran. He and I would spend most of my youth shooting and fishing, I have been passing down the fishing to my little boy who also helps me build fishing rods like my pop taught me, and now my little man wants to start shooting like his grandpa. So I got the little guy a .22, and now I'm looking for me. I have been looking for a solid .308 that I can use for mid to long range. So my questions are, who makes the best? What is most accurate? Should I look at the scar? I have no real budget, but won't spend over 5k. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Rip pop, thanks for all you've taught me, I promise to pass it down. Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you strictly want to bench shoot?

The SCAR 17 is an amazing firearm. It will take you into the $3500-$4000 range. Sitting stock it is probably the most complete semi auto .308 around. Ambidexterous, lighter than most .308, accurate, got rails everywhere you would need them, folding telescoping stock. Not alot of customization however if you care to do that.

Ever think about a Springfield M1A? Its a classic, a ton of fun to shoot. They are accurate. For me it feels incredibly natural when I shoulder the weapon, I love the iron sights as much as glass on it. They have a 16" 18" and 20" platform and it is about half the price in the 1600- 2000 range. And if you wanted to trick it out there are aftermarket stocks and parts for the gun that make them extremely accurate for example a JAE Chassis, and it transforms the gun into a more modern firearm, however that puts you in the same price range as a SCAR then.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
There are many AR platforms out there. You have Armalite (the original AR), Ruger, DPMS, Ruger and Bushmaster, just to name a few. Also, there is the M1A, similar to the M14, made by Sprigfield and another company I can't remember. And you have the FNH SCAR Heavy.
Do a bing or google search, you should be able to become quite overwhelmed by the info. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have been looking for a solid .308 that I can use for mid to long range. So my questions are, who makes the best? What is most accurate? Should I look at the scar? I have no real budget, but won't spend over 5k. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Rip pop, thanks for all you've taught me, I promise to pass it down. Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude.
If you really want the best, get a KAC (Knight's Armament) SR-25.

KAC Commercial Rifles

The Army uses a version as the M110 Sniper Rifle.

Personally, I went with a S&W MP-10, which is much cheaper, more accurate than I am, and fills all my 7.62/.308 needs.

·
Registered
29,835 Posts

KAC Commercial Rifles

Personally, I went with a S&W MP-10, which is much cheaper, more accurate than I am, and fills all my 7.62/.308 needs.
This.

I have an SR-25; can't speak highly enough of it.

I've got a Trijicon Accupoint 6-25x50 on it.

On a good day, with match ammo, it'll do 5" at 600yds.

I'd skip the SCAR. Not terribly accurate, and after hearing someone who has had one issued to him talk about all of it's downsides, and how they are not well thought of...for around the same money, get the KAC

Or a LaRue OBR...

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
The Armalite AR10 SASS we have is a great rifle, but it's an Armalite pattern so it uses M1A pattern mags and doesn't accept Magpul PMags made for the SR25, M&P, etc... Also have a M1A National Match and while it's not as easy to maintain, it is a better rifle for certain.

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
I don't know about these rifles much. But as far as scopes, have you heard of the swfa ss line?
Yep. It's built by Tasco. I have one, a 10x40; it's a decent scope for the money.

However, I am not a proponent of a $300 scope on a $1500 rifle.

·
Registered
914 Posts

KAC Commercial Rifles

I did the same - the M&P 10 gets the job done very well indeed. Just bear in mind that the S&W platform can't interchange key parts with the Armalite or DPMS AR10's. AS a result, you're somewhat limited on upgrade parts to what S&W is willing to make available. The bolt/BCG, charging handle, and barrel are all proprietary.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Take your pick there are plenty of options. My Sig 716 was only $1500 and I paid under $1000 for the Trijicon TA11E-G ACOG sight calibrated for .308 You also have the M1A option and bolt gun. If you looking at long range I would go with a bolt gun. Remington 700 Police is not bad and a Vortex Viper PST scope will get the job done for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
I'd probably be strongly considering a RFB if I was in the market for a 308 SBR.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Firs t off, greetings to all. I am new to this forum, and have been browsing different forums, and found this one to be full of knowledgeable and sincere individuals. 5 years back I sold my Colt spotter 2, ar15 .223 in order to help my father and family, along with my 68 camaro, and my grand national. My father who just passed away this past Monday of cancer was a solid mentor to me, a loving grandpa, and a proud veteran. He and I would spend most of my youth shooting and fishing, I have been passing down the fishing to my little boy who also helps me build fishing rods like my pop taught me, and now my little man wants to start shooting like his grandpa. So I got the little guy a .22, and now I'm looking for me. I have been looking for a solid .308 that I can use for mid to long range. So my questions are, who makes the best? What is most accurate? Should I look at the scar? I have no real budget, but won't spend over 5k. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Rip pop, thanks for all you've taught me, I promise to pass it down. Wisdom, justice, temperance, and fortitude.
Sorry for your loss, loosing a parent is an epic, life changing experience.

If you want a mid-long range shooter(however you define the distance) why not buy a decent mag fed bolt gun, and spend some money on glass that will last a lifetime? Shooting discipline will come more naturally. Common, as well as unique calibers to choose from

You'll still have money for a decent AR

A Savage, Remington, or(my favorite ) CZ can be had for much less than 1k. Even if you throw in $2k for a Nightforce scope, you've got another +1k for a range toy.

My $00.02
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorr y for your loss, loosing a parent is an epic, life changing experience.

If you want a mid-long range shooter(however you define the distance) why not buy a decent mag fed bolt gun, and spend some money on glass that will last a lifetime? Shooting discipline will come more naturally. Common, as well as unique calibers to choose from

You'll still have money for a decent AR

A Savage, Remington, or(my favorite ) CZ can be had for much less than 1k. Even if you throw in $2k for a Nightforce scope, you've got another +1k for a range toy.

My $00.02
Good Luck
Thank you so much for your input. I found one (for a ridiculous some), but it's what I wanted and more.thanku

·
Registered
914 Posts
One additional comment. The prices on SCAR 17's have dropped back to normal. There are a bunch on GunBroker with "Buy it now" prices in the $2550-$2700 range
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419529789. As I mentioned earlier, I've got a M&P 10 that works like a charm, but I've also got a SCAR 16 and SCAR 17. I love 'em both.

If budget is a concern, the M&P 10 would probably be the way to go, if not, the SCAR is an awesome platform. Check out the FNForum FN Forum / FN Gun Forums if you'd like more information.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts