·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's a fun AR sights question.

I want this:

... on this:

... but without this:

I like shrouded front sights -- the sights from the MP5/10's and HK416's are, in my humble opinion, one of the best ironsight target acquisition systems.

The problem with putting this system on the AR is that, to fit a prong tool in the front sight, you'd need a nice fat opening on top of the shroud itself. The FN SCAR has an outstanding system, and a small-aperture hole in the top of the shroud for adjustments.

The closest I've found is this:

But it's:
A. Not a full shroud, only half-shroud.
B. $120 before shipping.

There's gotta be a solution out there for someone like me. Anyone got intel?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I suppose first off, it would be a good place to start by letting you know that the sight system on the HK416 and MP5 that you said you liked so much are different from each other.

The 3rd picture you linked is like the front sight on the hk416

And the MP5 front sight is NON-adjustable and therefore has no hole in the top of it to set the sights or to compensate for change the POA/POI.

The sight you have pictured reminds me more of an SKS sight than anything.

With owning an MP5 and having a lot of time behind one, the full ring diopter style is more crowded for my taste than the half moon style like you linked later anyway.

The half-moon style also seems to cradle an Eotech reticle like a momma holding her baby too if you have a true cowitness.

Plus, I don't think there is a way to make a full shroud like you want that would fit all the AR sight tools out there. At least not without making a special one that people would probably lose anyway.

To make a long story short, to my knowlege, there are no aftermarket detachable full shroud diopter sights for picatinny rails exactly like you want.

·
Registered
713 Posts
What John A said. As soon as I read the statements above the first two pics in the OP, the PRI sight came to mind. AFAIK, that's the only rail mount folding front sight that has a fully enclosed hood. If you can tolerate a fixed front sight (and spending less money), POF's FTA-2005 front sight has a closed circular hood, but be advised that it is a bit on the thick side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Stag Model 8. Factory MI flip sights. L-O-V-E them. Put a Mepro night sight post. I'm new to shooting the AR. I LOVE the curved guards. I've shot the A2 front sight. Sometimes, I'll line up on a guard with the A2. Not possible with the MI!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts