Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i have a Remington R-15 chambered in .223 rem

I have read many times that you shouldnt shoot 5.56 mil surp ammo in a .223 rem chamber.
But you can shoot .223 rem in a 5.56 chamber.

I have also read that .223 and 5.56 are the same cartridge dimension wise, its just that the 5.56 is loaded to higher pressures.

Can anyone give me a clear answer, can i or can i not shoot 5.56 mil surp ammo in my R-15?

And if not, tell me what damage will occur if i was to try it. I dont want theories as to what could happen, kinda looking for facts as to what will happen.

ty

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
No you cannot. If it was chambered for 5.56 then yes, you can switch between the two, but if it's chambered for .223 then you shouldn't shoot 5.56 ammo. It has to do with the throat, the specs are different. Also some other thing, but I forgot.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gonna have to guess here and say since i basically have a rebadged bushy.

I should be ok to use 5.56 ammo in my gun, but should test fire a couple rounds to check for overpressure and primers.

at least thats what i gathered from the article.

Also i have called remington and asked them myself if it is safe to use 5.56 in my gun, and they have told me that it will work just fine. FWIW

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
you should check and see if their warranty will cover any damages if something did happen. i would be pissed if remington said it was fine but ended up causing problems later.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the link.

picked this up from that link

The chambers for .223 and 5.56 weapons are not the same either. Though the AR15 design provides an extremely strong action, high pressure signs on the brass and primers, extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles. Military M16s and AR15s from Colt, Bushmaster, FN, DPMS, and some others, have the M16-spec chamber and should have no trouble firing hot 5.56 ammunition

So to confirm what remington told me i should be just fine with 5.56 ammo, but should check for signs of overpressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts