Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I've not purchased and xd yet, but I am contemplating. I haven't been shooting in a while, until last Friday. I rented a Glock G16. I'm going to look for an sc carry gun and the Glock was on the list. I was introduced the SA XD series, before I left. I have been reading this and other forums, as well as asking gun shop employees and doing internet research. I have narrowed to either an SP101 in 357 (I do love the simplicity of a revolver and the stopping power of the Three Five Seven), an XD9SC or XD40SC.

In the case of the XD's, I have two questions:

1. Which is showing to be most accurate (I read an article that said
the 40 was at longer distance)?
2. Is 9mm ammo really cheaper than 40 S&W.

:)

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
Georgia boy said:
In the case of the XD's, I have two questions:

1. Which is showing to be most accurate (I read an article that said
the 40 was at longer distance)?
2. Is 9mm ammo really cheaper than 40 S&W.

:)
1- both are accurate at the distances that you're concerned about for subcompact weapon.

2- Yes

·
Registered
259 Posts
All 3 guns are accurate enough for a carry gun It is just a matter of personal preference which one is best for you. Shoot all three if you can, and determine which gun you like the feel of and which gun you shoot the best with. 9mm and 38 special are both very cheap to shoot. 40 is a little more expensive and 357 Mag is a little more expensive yet.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Like the others said, either would be accurate for self defense. As far as the price of ammo goes:
At Wal-Mart
9mm WWB 100rds for 12.00
.40 WWB 100rds for 17.00

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a XD 40 SC and my buddy has a XD 9 SC. Here is the report. Obviously the 9mm ammo is going to be a bit cheaper. The 40 will "kick" a little more than the 9mm. I enjoy shooting my 40 SC. Very Accurate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love 9mm. Cheaper ammo equals more practice and less recoil!
I highly doubt the .05 inches difference will make or break your self defense. I dont doubt that cheaper ammo will allow you to shoot more. Have fun!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Between the two, i think its more personal preference. We have a bunch of people on the board who love both the 9 and .40.

For the 9:
-Cheaper ammo. (Does it matter? Depends how much u shoot.)
-Less recoil & muzzle flip, so easier to handle and quicker to get back on target for subsequent shots.
-1 extra round in the factory mag.

For the .40:
-Larger caliber, many will argue better stopping power.

Those are some of things that come to my mind when considering between the two for the sc. If it were me, i'd probably go with the 9 in a subcompact. I own a .40 service model, and i'm happy with that and would keep it the same if i were to do it all over again. Why would i then prefer the 9 in a sub? Well, since i think i would prefer the smaller caliber so its easier to handle in teh sub. The .40 is more than comfortable to shoot in teh service length. Plus, enjoying shooting as much as i do... it'd be nice to have a gun with cheaper ammo so i can save the wallet some.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Georgia boy said:
(I do love the simplicity of a revolver and the stopping power of the Three Five Seven)
There are some concerns with over penetration using .357 mag.
You may actually destroy something beyond your intended target (after it passes through) :shock:
Oops...didn't see that kid standing 30 ft behind the BG. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts