Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been looking into purchasing a semi auto rifle. I'm in California.

I've done some research on the AR platform, but I'm not sure that is the direction I want to go. ( I may buy a stripped OLL for safe keeping).

A friend of mine has a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, which I like.

The question is what is so special about .223 /5.56 Nato? Seems a ton of guns use this caliber.

Ruger also makes the Mini 14 in 6.8 mm Rem. and the Ruger 30 in 7.62 X 39.

I'm looking for this to be a rifle to fill the gap between my .22 and .30-06. It will mostly be a range / Camping gun.

So please let me know your rifle / caliber recommendations. Lets say a $1,000 budget.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
556 everyones got it, the ar15 is what all of us military guys are used to shooting.

So much ammo around its relatively inexpensive to shoot. The recoil is nill hence you won't get sore and you can shoot it a lot if you have to/let girls and kids shoot it. With good shot placement its decent round, and you have a lot of ammo thats lightweight.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Look down the page a little and you'll find a similar topic that will give you some ideas. As for living in Kommiefornia...I am not sure what your options are at this point. I strongly suggest that you move out of that state and any other state that is so violative of your constitutional rights!! :(

Here is a link to the thread I mentioned:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/85549-semi-auto-rifle-suggestions.html
Hey thanks! Missed that thread.

In California you have to jump through a bunch of hoops, to make sure your AR is compliant, then you also have to be able to defend it's configuration if an overzealous R.O. or LEO would see it.

To me it seems like it could be more trouble then it is worth.

I was just reading through this thread http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/83345-post-m1a-pictures-here.html These are .308 correct?

Ahh so many choices...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went through this same debate myself earlier this year.I ultimately settled on a Smith & Wesson M&P 15OR. S&W had a $100 rebate at that time,so I believe my final cost was $699. I liked the OR model because it's a flat-top and has a gas block rather than the fixed front sight.I like to have sight options and with a flat-top/gas block AR,your options are unlimited. My AR currently wears LMT fixed,detachable sights,but I'm looking to get a EOtech or Aimpoint shortly.

I did look at the Ruger Mini-14,but aftermarket accessories are pretty limited.The Mini doesn't have the accuracy of the AR & 20 round Mags for the Mini are expensive & hard to come by.In California,I believe your limited to 10 rounds,but standard factory mags for Mini are 5 & I don't believe Ruger makes 10 round mags.I recommend avoiding all aftermarket mags for the Mini. AR mags are cheap and available just about anywhere.The Mini used to be a lot more affordable than the AR,but that just isn't the case anymore.Ergonomics on the Mini can't touch the AR's

The .223/5.56 round NATO is cheap and widely available.Recoil is minimal and Soldiers can carry lots of extra ammo.It's criticized by many as being underpowered,which may hold some truth in Military situations,it is just about ideal as a "urban rifle" for most social situations involving Police and Civilians where a handgun just won't cut it.

There are some new gas piston AR rifles such as the SIG 556,Bushmaster ACR,FN SCAR and the ilk,but they will be real expensive.

MIA's are real nice and REAL expensive.IMO .308/7.62 is overpowered for most realistic Civilian defense uses.You could get an AR and a nice .308/.30-06 bolt action(if want hunting/long range precision gun etc.) for the price of a M1A.

My recommendation would be an AR with a 16"barrel,Chromed bore,chamber,bolt and gas keys and adjustable stock.I would defeinitely get a flattop and I personally prefer the gas block,but the standard fixed front triangle is O.K. as well.

S&W,Armalite,Bushmaster & Rock River Arms are the companies I would choose from.The AR/M16 platform is not perfect,but it's been proven and is the Choice of most Police Departments,SWAT teams & has been our Country's Battle Rifle for about 40 years.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hey thanks! Missed that thread.

I was just reading through this thread http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/83345-post-m1a-pictures-here.html These are .308 correct?
Yes...the M1A's are .308 Win/7.62x51. They are also excellent rifles, but: 1) you'll have to jump through the same hoops as with an AR; 2) .308 ammo, even surplus, is running about $0.55/round these days which means less "bang for your buck"; and 3) there are other .308 battle rifles that are less expensive, more versatile and more accurate that the M1A. For a camping rifle...you are more or less stuck with the SOCOM II or scout versions which have a shorter barrel length. Not to mention the prices of the M1A's are significantly higher than your proposed budget of $1K.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
You could look at the Remington 7400 or 7600 can't remember which is the semi-auto...It's a "hunting" rifle at least right now...COmes in many calibers...I have both in the older 740 & 760 models

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
There are NO hoops that you have to jump through with the M1A. There is no pistol grip, no flash hider, etc. It is totally california legal in its box stock configuration.

Only hoops that you have to jump though are with the so called evil black rifles, AR, AK, FAL, etc.

I love how people from other states talk about all these hoops that we here in california have to jump though when they dont know the difference. The only real hoops we have to jump through are no pistol grip AND detachable mag on the same rifle, hence the bullet button or mag lock. The only other hoop we have to jump through is the 10 day waiting period. Thats pretty much it. All the other rules and regs are NFA or ATF for the most part and are federal laws. Hell, even the 10 round magazine limit is just for purchasing or modifying. If you already have them, you can use them. Hell, I dont own a gun that doesnt have a larger than 10 round capacity mag. I even have 20 rounders for my M1A.

I just bought an M1A National Match, picked it up Tuesday and I have already put 200 or so rounds through it. It is an awesome rifle. Battle Rifle, not Assault Rifle so again, not evil by california's thinking.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are NO hoops that you have to jump through with the M1A. There is no pistol grip, no flash hider, etc. It is totally california legal in its box stock configuration. Sweet!

Only hoops that you have to jump though are with the so called evil black rifles, AR, AK, FAL, etc.

I love how people from other states talk about all these hoops that we here in california have to jump though when they dont know the difference. The only real hoops we have to jump through are no pistol grip AND detachable mag on the same rifle, hence the bullet button or mag lock. The only other hoop we have to jump through is the 10 day waiting period. Thats pretty much it. All the other rules and regs are NFA or ATF for the most part and are federal laws.
As long as an AR has a 16" barrel, is 30" overall, wears a bullet button, and is a OLL, then it is California legal correct?

Then 10 round mags or preban/pre-owned 30 rounders ? (I'm happy enough with 10)

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
With the AR's, you legally cannot have a 30 round mag in it, only because its considered a fixed mag and fixed mags over 10 are illegal in CA.

16" barrel, 30" overall is federal.. Any shorter than that and you need a tax stamp for a SBR. The bullet button/mag lock and OLL is also required for CA.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
479 Posts
A friend of mine has a Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle, which I like.

The question is what is so special about .223 /5.56 Nato? Seems a ton of guns use this caliber.

Ruger also makes the Mini 14 in 6.8 mm Rem. and the Ruger 30 in 7.62 X 39.

I'm looking for this to be a rifle to fill the gap between my .22 and .30-06. It will mostly be a range / Camping gun.
I have a Mini-14 and love it....its not super accurate, but good enough to kill a coyote. Fun gun to play with and ammo isn't too high. I got a good deal on mine and that is the only reason I bought it, but I do not regret my purchase

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My mistake on the M1A and its legality in Kalifornia. I thought that semi-auto, detachable mag capable of more than 10 rounds made it subject to "issues" in CA. Thanks for "learnin'" me on this issue, SVThuh. It is funny how much negative publicity (some deserved) that CA gets and how much "spin" the legislation and its impact receive. I still wouldn't live there given the completely unjustified prejudice against firearms, the "gun" culture and law-abiding citizens owning any firearm they damn well please...but I won't begin to get on that soapbox. :) Hell, we all may be in the same hotseat before too long.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Maybe get an AK. Fun and reliable gun and is in between what you listed.
You must have missed that he lives in Kalifornistan. We can't be trusted with AKs here.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You must have missed that he lives in Kalifornistan. We can't be trusted with AKs here.
LOL

I would say look into the Mini 14, or Mini 6.8. I have no issues with the accuracy of my mini 14 or mini 30. Some people will tell you they are inaccurate but they normally do not own one, and have only put a few rounds through one. If you have the money I would definatly tell you to get an M1A. Beware of what you are getting into though. A semi-auto 7.62x51....... Its money every time you pull the trigger. But its amazing fun.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Maybe look into Saigas or an SKS. The stock saigas are California legal and they give you the option of caliber. They're not gonna be as accurate as an AR, but they're gonna be very solid and way less espensive. An SKS will give you a little bit more accuracy, though you'll be limited to the 7.62x39. Ammo for either will be way less expensive than a lot of other alternatives though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL

If you have the money I would definatly tell you to get an M1A. Beware of what you are getting into though. A semi-auto 7.62x51....... Its money every time you pull the trigger. But its amazing fun.
It would probably beat plinking with my .30-06 though.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It would probably beat plinking with my .30-06 though.
Plinking with a .30-06 gets hard on the wallet AND the shoulder after a while. Cheapest .30-06 stuff I have seen lately (other than corrosive surplus crap) is close to $0.63/round. There was some good Greek surplus stuff (HXP) floating around a few months ago...I bought a case of 960 rounds loaded in M1 Garand clips for $0.48/round.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts