Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought my pistol and my shotgn, now I want a rifle to complete the set. I don't hunt, so all I would like to do is hit something farther away with good acuracy, common ammo size so ammo will be reasonable, and a good punch. Just the jack of all trades.

What should I think about? What would you recommend?

so far;

Springfield XDm 9mm Compact

Mossberg 590A1 #53693

·
Registered
179 Posts
Since you are not worried about hunting caliber applications, there are two ways to go in my book.

1. An AR.
Pros - customizable to whatever you want, inexpensive and widely available ammunition, expected accuracy to 300+ yards, high cap semi auto goodness, can do many tasks well (HD, hunting, etc...)
Cons - customizable to whatever you want, you'll get BRD (black rifle disease), not 'FUDD' friendly (if this matters to you).

2. Bolt 308.
Pros - common caliber with good availability, expected accuracy to 500+ yards (if you do your part), short throw action, moderate recoil.
Cons - optics cost (could easily be more than the rifle itself), availability of ranges to accomodate longer range shooting, capacity limits.

You could combine the two and get an AR 10 platform, or an FAL, M1a, etc... best of both worlds.
There are really just so many variables.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Could also just get a .30-30 lever action. You can get a rifle for under $400, and ammo is some of the cheapest and most readily available for a centerfire rifle. Just depends on how far out you're wanting to shoot.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Could also just get a .30-30 lever action. You can get a rifle for under $400, and ammo is some of the cheapest and most readily available for a centerfire rifle. Just depends on how far out you're wanting to shoot.
What MARSS said. That makes the most sense to me. The Marlin 336C is an outstandingly accurate iconic American rifle. I feel it should be in every collection.
Next, (I believe their will be a next rifle in your future. ) an Armalite M15A2.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Judging by your tastes in pistol/shotgun, I agree that an AR is in your future! Upgradable, ammo availability (223), accessories, reasonable range, and accurate... AR-15 has plenty of reliable manufacturers out there to be had at very reasonable prices so have fun shopping around!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
1. An AR.

2. Bolt 308.
Simple BOTH
If you want accuracy go with the 308 bolt.
If you want fun plinking go with the AR
You can get an AR accurate but it will cost a lot more than a 308
I have under 1k in a Savage 308 and it can shoot .25 inch groups at 100 yards on a good day ant under .5 any day. My AR Bushmaster Predator ha shot a few close to .3 but the norm is closer to .7 and I have over 1500 in it.

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
What is your price range?

do you have a 22lr yet? Marlin 60 is a nice gun for the price. I like the tube mags for that type of gun. large capacity without added bulkiness and it takes a little time to reload so you don't waste tons and tons of ammo. without realizing it.

what does "long range" mean to you? a 9mm carbine to match your XDm can be accurate out past 100 yards. Its nothing like a .223 or .308 but it is a definite step up above a pistol or shotgun. Hi-Point 9mm can be found cheap. I picked up one with a scope for $85 recently.

If you are looking for a bit more than a 22 or 9mm;

I don't own and haven't shot any of the below, but here is what I'd be looking at (from most to cheapest) in your shoes;

KelTec RFB
AR
Saiga
SKS

Thinking about getting a wheel gun (or desert eagle) down the road? you may want to pair it with a lever gun that takes the same ammo. a 357/38 shouldn't be too expensive to shoot and still packs a punch. I'd get a 44 or 454 myself, but I'd also use it for hunting, so a little more bullet might be worth a little more money for me.

For a bolt gun, I'd look at a .223, .243, 270, 308 or 30-06. Those are the most common calibers, and are all good long range and genuine rifle rounds.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Get an M1A. It has power, distance, and accuracy. It is a bit on the expensive side but, judging from your pics, you probably prefer military-type auto-loaders. Can't go wrong with it.

Also, the AR or other black rifles are good choices since you don't need to hunt with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is your price range?
I was thinking of a 2k cap. I will be saving up for this one, so nothing I am looking to jump in tomorrow.

do you have a 22lr yet? Marlin 60 is a nice gun for the price. I like the tube mags for that type of gun. large capacity without added bulkiness and it takes a little time to reload so you don't waste tons and tons of ammo. without realizing it.
Nope. Just what I posted in the first post. To be honest, I would like something with a little more punch than a .22.

what does "long range" mean to you? a 9mm carbine to match your XDm can be accurate out past 100 yards. Its nothing like a .223 or .308 but it is a definite step up above a pistol or shotgun. Hi-Point 9mm can be found cheap. I picked up one with a scope for $85 recently.
"Long range" to me would mean accuracy outside the pistol & shotgun range. I would think 75+ yards.

I have recently shot a friends Hi-Point 9mm rifle. It was fun to shoot, and I may consider it for a seperate purchase later due to sharing loads with my pistol, but I would like something of a larger cal for my first.

If you are looking for a bit more than a 22 or 9mm;

I don't own and haven't shot any of the below, but here is what I'd be looking at (from most to cheapest) in your shoes;

KelTec RFB
AR
Saiga
SKS
I looked at the KelTec, and I have to admit, it looks interesting. That will sit on my radar for now.

I have had the suggestion to build an AR of my own, and that does have an appeal to me. I am very into hands on projects, and that sounds like a good one. From what I understand that is the cheaper route anyway.

I will look further into the other two later.

Thinking about getting a wheel gun (or desert eagle) down the road? you may want to pair it with a lever gun that takes the same ammo. a 357/38 shouldn't be too expensive to shoot and still packs a punch. I'd get a 44 or 454 myself, but I'd also use it for hunting, so a little more bullet might be worth a little more money for me.
Not at the present moment. But hell, 6 months ago I would have told you that I may still get any kind of gun ... someday. :rolleyes:

For a bolt gun, I'd look at a .223, .243, 270, 308 or 30-06. Those are the most common calibers, and are all good long range and genuine rifle rounds.
I like the idea of a bolt gun. I just may make that a part of my collection as I go.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get an M1A. It has power, distance, and accuracy. It is a bit on the expensive side but, judging from your pics, you probably prefer military-type auto-loaders. Can't go wrong with it.

Also, the AR or other black rifles are good choices since you don't need to hunt with it.
I had looked at the SA9121 and fell in love. The price is a bit steep for me right now, but who knows... I am still thinking this one over...

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
If you want something with a bit more oompf than a 9mm, I think you are going to want something more than an .223/5.56 too. They don't feel all that much different to me. My last 2 purchases were a KelTec SU16 (lighter than an AR) and a Hi-point 9mm

With your price range and other responses, I think you'd like one of the 308 semi-autos (RFB, FAL, or Springfied maybe toss an AR10 into the mix too) or a bolt gun (.243 or greater) the best. With all the bad press the 700 Remmy has been getting, you might find one of those cheap.

If you want cheap ammo and a big bang on a budget, you can't do better than a Moisin. It might be worth getting one of those just to see if you'd be happy with a bolt gun before blowing your wad on something nice. you can get one for under $100 any day of the week.

You might want to handle a 357 lever gun too, in case that does anything for ya.

·
Registered
464 Posts
The problem with a Moisin is ammo availability in anything other than FMJ, and most ranges won't allow FMJ.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Look closely at the Bushmaster ORC, Springfield Socom II Urban Camo, or Browning bolt action. I enjoy the heck out of mine.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ruger 10/22 lots of fun and builds skill at a low cost. Shooting at 50 yards with accuracy though iron sights requires fine ability that easily transfers to the more expensive gun.

The next question is what kind range are you going to shoot at 100, 300 or 500+

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Ruger 10/22 lots of fun and builds skill at a low cost. Shooting at 50 yards with accuracy though iron sights requires fine ability that easily transfers to the more expensive gun.

The next question is what kind range are you going to shoot at 100, 300 or 500+
Have to agree here if you are just starting on rifles. This will do more for accuracy where it counts (the shooter) than just about anything else can. I can shoot a pop can at 100 yards all day with my stock 10/22, and they are cheap to start and cheap to shoot. You will buy more rifles eventually, so no need to rush straight to a $2k AR or M1A. Those will come eventually anyways. ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts