Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only recently started reloading. I have been having a great time and have learned a ton by reading the posts on XDTalk. I load a mix of 9mm (XD 9 SC), .38 Spl (Ruger LCR - the wife's) and .40 S&W (XD .40 SC and Taurus 101AF). I normally load and shoot lead from Lasercast and SNS Casting. I have been using Unique for all of my loads. I have come up with loads that are reasonably accurate in all four handguns, but I am looking for a recommendation on whether to change powders when I run out of my current stash (probably another couple hundred rounds).

The Unique does not seem to meter all that well. I have the Lee powder measure that came with their anniversary kit. I check the charge weight after every ten charges. If it is off by more than .1 grain, I dump those ten and re-calibrate the measure. I can't afford a new measure right now (but Christmas is coming!), so I was wondering if the accuracy issues could be minimized by going to a different powder.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Scott

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you like the burn rate of Unique, then give WSF a try. I find it almost identical to Unqiue, maybe a tiny bit slower & it meters much better. It does NOT occupy as much volumn though, it's only downside.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Your Lee powder measurer is the #1 problem right now. Even if you change powders you will still have measurement issues, however as Fred says, probably less issues with WST. You now have satisfactory loads with Unique for all four guns, so it is not immediately necessary to change. If I had this problem I would continue to use Unique (buy another 1# batch of Unique and maybe 1# of WST or another powder) and put a new measurer on your Christmas list and hope Santa brings it. After getting a better measurer you can get some WST and work up loads for it if you want to. If you only change powders now you are going to have to re-work up four new loads with the old Lee measurer. I suggest you keep more than 1 kind of powder on your bench anyway. It doesn't hurt to have 2 measurers either.:D Unique can be used in almost all pistol loads as well as shotgun loads, so it is good to keep some on hand just in case you get (more guns).

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Tips for keeping uniform charges from your powder measure.

1) Keep the level of powder consistant within 1" or 2". If you start with a full level of powder in your measurer add more when it gets down a couple of inches. Don't let it get low and almost empty before adding more. The volume of powder affects how dense the charge is when dropped and that affects the weight of the charge dropped.
2) Always be consistant in the way you opperate the handle of the measurer. If you tap it at the end of the stroke, always tap it at the end of each stroke. If you use a light stroke then keep every stroke light. Hard strokes tend to pack the powder tighter and that adds volume (which adds weight) to the charge.
3) If you have more than 1 type of powder on your bench and use a different powder for different guns you need too mark the measurer with an identification of what powder is currently in the measurer. The best way I have found to do this and I think it is error proof, take a 1" piece of paper and write the name of the powder on it. Drop this inside the measurer tube on top of the powder. When you refill powder, move the paper back to the top. Each time you come back to reload after a later date, check to see if the powder in the measurer is the one you need for your next reloading session. If it is not, empty it all out, change powder and remark with a new paper inside the tube. This works! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rayikeo2,
Thanks for the input! I kind of learned numbers one and two the hard way as I was working up loads. Since I only have Unique right now, the third suggestion is not a factor. I am hoping to work up some other fun loads as I gain more experience and that suggestion is a great one.

Scott

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sbrader, welcome to the hobby of reloading. Your posts indicate you are learning the safe and right way to enjoy the benefits of reloading. Feel free to ask questions here on the forum whenever you have them. There are many expert reloaders here that have thousands and hundreds of thousands of rounds of reloading experience. They will gladly help you with answers to your questions. Ray

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Based on the advice given here already, which powder measure should I put on my list for Christmas? Hornady and RCBS both seem to have some very nice options.

Scott

·
Registered
1 Posts
i used to make baffels for the powder hopper,that made charges even.i use SR7625 for all those rounds.low flash , push not snap recoil, very clean.we had a talk at our local IPSC club over magazine spring loading and pistol cleaning,so i loaded four mags and put them aside i also shot my 1911-COLT every weekend for one year at the end i had to clean the 1911 because of alox build up.after cleaning the pistol worked great & the four mags also worked without flaw.i was loading with DuPont SR7625.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Based on the advice given here already, which powder measure should I put on my list for Christmas? Hornady and RCBS both seem to have some very nice options.

Scott
Either one will be excellent. They look like both are made from the same factory. I have one of each and both work great. The main thing to do is buy the pistol micrometer (an extra cost) for the one you find the best deal on. The micrometer has infinate settings which you can record and go back to very quickly for your different gun loads.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Here's some thing to try (and remember, if you do, to work up your loads):

FredJ put me on to WST powder. It's terrific for lead in my .45 ACP. I also was looking for something for lead in my 9mm, and was able to work up excellent loads using WST in that.

This is no guarantee nor any warranty as to the effectiveness of WST in all your calibers, just that given the success I've had with it in both lower and higher pressure cartridges, I'd be looking at WST as possibilities in yours.

Like you, I was trying to find a one-size-fits-all powder, and at least for these applications of mine, it is that.

Remember to work up all loads, use eye protection, and if you do this , report back on what you find. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ran into a similar issue in the past. Accurate #5 is another option if your so inclined.

FWIW:
I went with a Redding when I upgraded from Lee.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts